Did we become JW because we wanted someone else to do our thinking for us?

by Rod P 51 Replies latest watchtower bible

• love11
    love11

I think it's just taking the easy road out. I was raised in it and never given the opportunity to decide what I liked or disliked, it was always told to me. When I became 18 I was out. It was because I decided one night that I am not going to the kh anymore if I don't really feel it. I went to the mall that night because that is what I wanted to do. That night I met my husband and we have been together for almost 11 years now. It's amazing how the universe opens up to you when you make a change.

• Truth or Lie
    Truth or Lie
    I think it's just taking the easy road out. I was raised in it and never given the opportunity to decide what I liked or disliked, it was always told to me. When I became 18 I was out. It was because I decided one night that I am not going to the kh anymore if I don't really feel it. I went to the mall that night because that is what I wanted to do. That night I met my husband and we have been together for almost 11 years now. It's amazing how the universe opens up to you when you make a change.

Jesus Christ taught unification, not separation. You cannot serve two masters; love and hate do not correlate. It is better to love another then fight. This was the teaching of Christ. That is all a person needs to learn, besides how to survive in a wicked world. Do not let any person judge you, as Jehovah God will always be with those that seek His interests. The Kingdom of God will accomplish unity of all nations.

• Rod P
    Rod P

Truth or Lie,

With respect, why don't you start your own thread on this forum and pontificate to your heart's content. I fail to see how your remarks on this thread have anything to do with the question I have asked, and I don't think the exchange of barbs back and forth is contributing a whole lot to the question either.

Rod P.

• minimus
    minimus

Rod, good point. I'll answer your fine question. I became a JW because and only because I was raised in it. Once I found my mental way out -----I was GONE!

• steve2
    steve2

Lost for a definitive answer to the question, Did we become JWs because we wanted someone else to do our thinking for us?, I asked my elderly JW grandfather. He searched for the right answer in one of his many dusty bound volumes and then he informed me of the answer in a crisply rigid tone: "No we didn't!!".

So, there you have my answer: No I didn't!!.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

The subject of teaching is closely related to the topic though, in other words is teaching about the teacher doing your thinking for you? Are questions asked (if any are) just so you can highlight the points you set out to make, and word for word right out of the paragraph for that matter? Just having something to say and saying it does not a teaching make, especially if there's supposed to be some discernment and understanding on the other end.

Of course, if you are under the impression that it's all about thinking you would think teaching is so important. But if it is not all about thinking then even if there is actually some skillful teaching going on that only goes so far.

"I'm a teacher - you know what I mean - and I do my little turn on the catwalk.." -Right Said Fred teaching

• Rod P
    Rod P

That was very good, Steve 2. LOL!!!

Rod P.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

No. I was searching for truth (if such a thing can be found). I always ran into problems with them because I am a free thinker. I found that they do not like free thinkers.

I guess that place was not the last stop!

• Rod P
    Rod P

LongHairGal,

So tell me, LongHair, how exactly, do you get to be a free thinker? I thought I was one, until I found out how influenced and moulded I was in my thoughts. Puts a whole new perspective on my life!!! How do you know that you are a FREE THINKER? (And I know you do not mean that you charge for your thoughts. Ha! Ha!)

Rod P.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I was raised within as well, so I cannot really put myself in the place of those who joined as adults. But, yes, I was happy to have somebody do my thinking for me .

No matter what the issue, medical ethics, crime and punishment, the attitude towards ones job, you only had to say "What have the Society said about this?" and problem is solved... I guess I was lazy. I still recall the liberating experience of being able to address issues anew and working out the stand that I wanted to take.Of course there is no way that one can be a JW and be a thinking person. No matter what anybody says .

Incidentally, what do you make of this piece of Orwellian doublespeak on the subject of thinking?***

w60 2/15 pp. 106-107 Safeguard Your Thinking Ability **

Since the purpose of preaching God?s Word is to make every thought obedient to the Christ, it follows that one should reject the goal of independent thinking. (2 Cor. 10:5) The Christian is to put on a new personality created according to God?s will. (Eph. 4:20-24) This will result in all Christians being united with God in their thinking, as well as with one another. (1 Cor. 1:10; Rom. 15:5) Such does not make for collective thinking or mass psychology, as some have claimed. It results in each dedicated believer being trained to use his thinking ability not independently but individually, yet submissively to God and in co-operation with ones fellow man. For such development of the individual personality God has created the human mind and heart and provided all the necessary knowledge and instruction so that countless millions of persons, though being individual personalities, will live in unity and peace because they recognize their dependence on God and the interdependence of all members of God?s human family on one another.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit