Have you ever been to an Apostofest or met JWD posters?

by JH 49 Replies latest jw friends

• devinsmom
    devinsmom

Is it just me or can anyone else not read honesty's posts...Honesty, I need a magnifying glass to read your posts, plz use bigger font!

-April, of the *I swear I'm not blind* class

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I feel very fortunate to live in Dallas, as there have been several Fests locally in the last several years. I've met some amazing people and not once has there been anything bad happen. Whatever happened in Seattle has not been repeated at ANY other fest that I know of. And I think that says a lot since we've had many fests on this board.

Two things I'll say about Apostofests:

One, I think meeting people in person vs. the board does a TON for strengthening friendships. You may think you don't like someone on the board, but when you meet in person, it's a totally different story. You get only a glimpse of them here in the midst of these thousands of words. In person, you get a much clearer view of who they really are. And for me, it's always been a good experience!

Two, I think newbies to this board or newbies that have just recently exited the WTS, must sit and think about whether or not they're strong enough to attend a large Fest. Most of us have major emotional or mental issues when we first exit. Like a pendulum swinging from one extreme to another, exiting a high control group can be very stressful emotionally. If those emotional issues are not addressed, then attending a Fest first thing after an exit might not be a good idea for everyone. Perhaps meeting just a few people on a smaller scale might be a wiser idea than attending a gathering of 20 or 40 people. It can be stressful and overwhelming for one not ready to tackle their own emotional needs.

Just my two cents,

Andi

• Aztec
    Aztec
    I have been to several others and nothing like that happened, so I think it was an isolated event.

Are you sure it wasn't an insulated isodent?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I can possibly speak with a little authority on this subject (sticks tongue out at Heathen, who doesn't think he's an authority on anything )

I've enjoyed every Fest I've been to. There's anticipation and foreboding at the first one, which often turns the Fest-virgin into a sideline people-watcher, but that's ok - not all are cut out to dance on tables and poles in front of complete strangers

The SeattleFest only had one incident (attributed as much to difficult personal circumstances and an unbalanced mind, as to drink, if I recall), but other than that was a lot of fun. Amongst many other things, who can forget the great food, Maybesbabies humorous fiance, the Korean Karioki lyrics, Celtic and Gumby's ganga jokes, the unusual range of beer, the incredible gorgeous apostababes, the incredibly ugly apostadudes (just checking if you're still concentrating), Odrade's fish conversations, and some daft Scot making a fool of himself all night?

It can radically change your opinion of some posters. Before my first DallasFest, because of exchanges on the board, I was convinced SixofNine was gonna stick a knife in my back. It couldn't have been further from the truth - the guy is incredibly friendly and has an amazing twinkle in his eye (sorry dude, I just have to keep singling ya out - hehehe).

The bottom line? People are people, in all shapes and sizes. However we have one thing in common, here, which is a bond deeper than we ever had as JWs. And if we don't like someone, even after meeting them, we don't have to suck it up

Azzie:

Are you sure it wasn't an insulated isodent?

No, that would just be those who intellectualise their feelings

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

I've met a few of my fellow apostates, but have never been to a Fest yet........ Ter

• rocketman
    rocketman

I've never met anyone from this board personally. Basically, I hate to travel, so 'fests are almost out of the question.

...Recluse Class...

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I've never been to a fest, but have met Shera once and have gotten together with Talesin several times.

Kwin

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I've met just a few (AlanF, shotgun, frankiespeakin, markfromcali, SiriusDogma), wish I could go to an apostofest but have been too busy l8ly.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I would love to go. I think upon my graduation from high school i will attend one, merely as a present to myself. That is, if anyone will have me.

And no , i've never met any posters on here- but i'd love too! You know how to reach me.

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

Yes, it's true....Bryan kicked my a-- at pictionary. Not once - but 4 times in a row!!! He's the only person from this place that I've met. And I'll also admit - I was a bit scared to meet someone from the internet. But I'm so glad I did!!!! Bryan and his wife are awesome and their new baby is too!!!

I've never been to an apostafest though - sounds fun though!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit