Did Anyone Ever Find The Meetings Interesting???

by minimus 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Jez
    Jez

Yes, I did enjoy the meetings sometimes. Some speakers were great to listen to. I found the the CO or the DO sometimes were quite gifted at speaking. There was a circuit assembly that I was at once and Mr. Little was there....it was the best talk I had ever ever ever heard. So loving, so unpreachy, so calm and no doom or gloom. I was inspired.

Jez

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    We had this one sister who used to have fits of what I called "canned laughter". Everytime one of the "travelin' brudders" came along she'd sit there just waiting to cackle at what was hardly droll. Darn watchtower hen. Put a lid on it.

That was my mother.

I especially remember one talk in particular. We saw this brother getting ready for his talk, and he had props! He was the talk of the entire KH with these props, because most JWs have never seen anybody use them.

During his talk, he took a jar filled with marbles (or rocks) and filled the rest up with water. Then he related it to something. Can't remember what though. It was just amusing to watch him use those props!

Hmmmm. Not much else memorable at the meetings. The sound guy would alway play Kingdom Melodies after the meeting, and he always had the sound system cranked to high when he started the tape. It would scare the shit out of everyone. I loved it when he'd put on the wrong song during the meeting.

There was the occasional child running down the aisle during the meeting. I'd look and think, "Holy shit! Life!"

I always loved the black guy who stuttered through the prayers. I'd count how many times he said "to...umm, to... umm, to...umm". Or how about the old guy who thanked Jehovah for our sins?

• minimus
    minimus

Nos, you rightfully point out that if it were not for the silly observations we all had, the meetings were simply a waste of time.

• Es
    Es

I can never really remember enjoying a meeting....maybe if there was a good looking guy visiting lol es

• steve2
    steve2

I used to get an adrenalin surge when one of the elders walked up to the platform towards the end of the meeting, faced the congregation with an inexpressive countenance and made a crisp and curt announcement. That surge grew tenfold when the announcement was about a brother or sister being reproved or disfellowshipped.

The hush in the congregation that followed was worth the wait. And, just after the meeting, dying to know some of the details, the brothers and sisters hung around longer than usual, hoping against hope that they'd find out something juicy.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

The majority of meetings are of poor quality. There is a big problem with the Society's approach. They believe that the Ministry School is turining out elders who are capable of putting together good Service Meeting parts and Public Talks but the reality is far from the belief.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit