Did Anyone Ever Find The Meetings Interesting???

by minimus 35 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Every once in a while I enjoyed a Public Talk that featured a very good speaker. Most meetings I was thoroughly bored. Especially was I bored with the baby food pablum that was force fed to us.

• unique1
    unique1

There was one brother who pretty much just told stories for his talks and somehow tie them into the theme at the end. He was a really good story teller, so his talks were always entertaining. He was the only one though.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Sometimes people would show up who talked during the meeting, or said "Amen!" throughout the prayers. Occasionally someone would fall or puke. Microphones dropping was always entertaining. When a tall speaker got sinking mic syndrome (the mic drifting slowly lower and lower as the talk progressed) that was amusing. The outspoken comments from those who had no filters always made me laugh. The speakers who couldn't speak, e.g. ob-STAK-uhls instead of OB-stak-uhls, were a riot. (Sorry, the unicode shwa wouldn't show up so I had to use the less correct "uh")

There were good things.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• xjwms
    xjwms

I remember a public talk,

comparing publishers to diamonds

cuts ..curves .. imperfections .. shine .. dull ..color .. the best I remember.

everything else was a repeat.

• jt stumbler
    jt stumbler

I remember a talk comparing the society to a diamond and how if you put it under a microscope you will see all the imperfections. The internet has been a very poweful microscope.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

The only talks I could mildly tolerate where the ones with slides, at least there was something to look at other than a talking head.

• minimus
    minimus

The Society, if it wants to compare itself to a diamond is clearly not IF (internally flawless). It's more like I3 (imperfect to the 3rd degree), very clearly visible imperfections!

• Charisma
    Charisma

I guess there were fleeting moments when I enjoyed them. Mostly if I had studied and prepared thoroughly. Usuaully though it was the opposite. I was relieved when they were done.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Sh*t no!

Well, every now and then somebody would screw up on the platform and that would wake me up in time enough to blink to keep my eyes from drying out of my head, and to wipe the bead of drool from the side of my mouth.

I was always laughing at things nobody else thought was funny, and glowering when everyone else was laughing their heads off.

GBL

• jt stumbler
    jt stumbler

How about the talk about how this world is like the titanic. Why
    polish it up when its only going to sink in the end. Also how you need to get on your life boat and row as far away as you can because if your too close when it goes down you may get sucked down with it? Has anyone else heard that one?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit