What's the last good fantasy or scifi book that you could'nt put down?

by Leander 27 Replies latest social entertainment

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

Sci-fi best would be "Contact" which was the basis for the excellent movie. Fantasy best would be "Mists of Avalon", and best anthology would be "Out of Avalon" (not really realated to MoA, except that the stories deal loosely with the theme of Avalon, not necessarily with Arthur).

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Ringworld by Larry Niven (and to a lesser extent its various sequels).

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Most recent is the last Harry Potter ... #5 I think.

In the last two or three years it's been the LOTR and Hobbit books, and the Harry Potter series.

I've read a bit of King in short stories in the last year, too, including an excerpt from his ShadowLands about the hospital and the nuns....

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

mine is actually fantasy/psychological...I Never Promised You A Rose Garden...it's about a young girl w/ schizo, and the author illustrates all of her dellusions and hallucinations as if they were really happening. i've read it at least 2-3 times a year since i was 13. it never gets old.

i highly suggest it.

luv, kitty

• Swan
    Swan

I have been focusing on mysteries lately, but will pause for anything new written by Jack Chalker. He mostly writes long series of 3 or 4 books or more. Often the theme of adapting to change in order to survive is key in his stories. His heroes and heroines usually must adapt to change and let go of their past and sometimes this is the greater conflict in his story than the more obvious ones.

His Well World, Soul Rider, and the Four Lords of the Diamond series were the best IMO. The Dancing Gods series was the best fantasy spoof I have ever read (I will never look at an episode of Gilligan's Island in the same way ever again).

For a single book story I liked his Identity Matrix (reminiscent of Heinlein's Puppet Masters).

Tammy

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

Glory Road (Heinlein)

The Valdemar series "Arrow 's of the Queen" (Mercedes Lackey)

Freedom's Landing - Choice - Challenge (Anne McCaffrey)

to name a few...

• Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack

I'm one of those people who'll accidentally stay up all night reading a book.

George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire and Steve Eriksen's Malazan series are the current "class" of the fantasy genre. Eriksen's work is magnificent in scope ( he has a background in anthropology) and has a great Pantheon of Gods.

For Science Fiction, Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy is a must read. The story lags (no cliffhangers) but a lot of amazing information!

W.

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

Stephen R. Donaldson's "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant: The Unbeleiver" Chronicles I and II, and there's a IIIrd he just started with a new book last Fall.

Very cool series, and it's by no means any candyland~!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit