What's the last good fantasy or scifi book that you could'nt put down?

by Leander 27 Replies latest social entertainment

• Leander
    Leander

So what's the last fantasy/scifi book that you read that was just so good you could'nt put it down until you were done reading it? I need a few recommendations, I'm in the mood for a good book.

For me the last really good scifi book was Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game". For a long time I avoided this book because I thought it was aimed at a younger audience, but after hearing so many people praise it I finally took a chance on it. I literally read the book in 2 hours, it was utterly captivating. I've yet to read the sequels but if they are anything like the first book I'll eventually make my way around to them.

As for fantasy novels, George R.R. Martin's "The Song of Fire and Ice" series are amazing in every sense of the word. Forget what you know about typical fantasy books, this ain't your juvenile fiction about multi-colored dragons and happy dwarves. This book is down right gritty and hard hitting, the imagery is intense and the dialog is written so well you actually believe the events really took place. Without giving too much Martin is also one of the few authors who writes his stories in such a way that they reflect real life, heroes don't always win, villains are'nt always evil. I can't recommend his books enough for people who enjoy a good riveting read. Do yourself a favor and at least check one his books out from the library (preferably the first one in his Song of Fire and Ice series).

So what have you read recently that was good?

• hubert
    hubert

The Watchtower.

Hubert

• Charisma
    Charisma

The last Sci Fi/Fantasy book I read was Timemachine. As a book it was excellent. I was very disapointed in the movie however.

• luna2
    luna2

I read a lot of sci fi/fantasy. Liked Ender's Game very much too. Love Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series and her Crystal Singer trilogy. I enjoy Simon Green's stuff (talk about demonic...very reminicant of the movie Keanu Reeves just did, what was that? Oh, Constantine). I like Kim Harrison's vampire-fighter books, Dead Witch Walking and....hrm, can't remember the second one. Tanith Lee's books. Latest one that I found very entertaining was Gail Dayton's Compass Rose (whoo boy, lots o' sex in that one). Can't remember the most recent book I read...oh, yeah, it was a rather poor werewolf thing. Most disappointing.

I never did completely stop reading what I liked as a JW, although I did avoid the vampire/demonic/totaly sex books. Still, I'm sure there would have been counseling if the elders had know what I did read. So disobediant.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

singularity sky -- charles stross

• integ
    integ

Fear.

L.Ron Hubbard.

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

integ:

I could not put down "Battlefield Earth" by L. Ron Hubbard. The movie sucked but the book is great.

• ivy
    ivy

Thanks for the suggestions Leander. I'm always looking for good scifi and/or fantasy authors. I will check out the Song of Fire and Ice series
    I loved the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman. Don't pass that one up because it is aimed at a younger audience.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

I just finished re-reading Ender's Game (first read it many years ago, might have been just a short story back then); now I am working through the rest of the series, almost finished with Speaker for the Dead. Its good too, but quite different from Ender's Game. I am looking forward to the books that go back and pick up the story on Earth- Ender's Shadow and its sequels.

Before that I started reading Stephen Baxter, awesome hard sci-fi stuff. Then there was Harry Turtledove's Worldwar and Colonization series, also very good. I see he has just written a follow-up which I hope will wrap it up.

Also read Peter Hamilton's Reality Disfunction/Night's Dawn series... more goodness...

No Apologies

• talesin
    talesin

I've been collecting Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series for years. She is most famous for her rendition of the Arthurian legend, The Mists of Avalon. Her sci-fi is quite popular, though, and her fans have conventions, etc. a la Star Trek.

There are over 20 novels, all interconnected, and spanning hundreds of years. It is about a planet, Darkover, that was visited centuries ago by Terrans (earth folk). The novels do not need to be read in order, for they are all separate stories on their own. As you read the series, though, you can see where the storylines intertwine. Good reads, all of them.

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit