What were your reasons for not liking the ministry school?

by LongHairGal 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Because it was the most boring part of the meetings!

• rebel8
    rebel8
    although i now know that what i was saying was a load of cr*p, i do feel that the actual experience of getting up in front of an audience and speaking stood me in good stead when i left the truth and went to university.

i always got good marks for my presentation skills and i am not a natural public speaker. so i must have learned something

Gotta agree with that. I did learn something. Then again, I took public speaking classes in high school and college, so I would have learned that stuff anyway.

I hated the school first because people kept claiming it was the equivalent of a college education. A family member even said, "I learned a lot more in the Theocratic Ministry School than I ever learned at college." Even though I was a teenager at the time, I knew it was complete hogwash. I thought it was a quite arrogant, "sour grapes" claim to make. (Sour grapes on the part of those that didn't have a college education and wanted to claim they had something better.)

I hated the school because of the public critique of the talk. I thought that was mean. I could see where it really hurt some people to have to do public speaking and then be criticized afterwards in front of the audience.

I hated it even more when they began assigning "householders" for us women. That meant we could not pick out our friends/family to do the talk with us. That sucked. The MS who gave out the slips kept assigning me to the same person, a girl about my age who was a stuck up b---- with the attitude, "I'm better than you because you're the product of a mixed marriage." I always hated her. I guess he was trying to get us to be friends.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i didnt like it cuz it was sexist.

men got talks that were already prepared ( or at least 95%)

women had to not only get up the talk, select a theme, a setting,try to pin down the house holder long enough to practice, then do it all sitting down submissively talking to someone else instead of standing at the podium.

( i think since i've left that the womens talks now come already with a theme and setting?)

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Thanks for all your comments.

I do acknowledge that the MS built up your confidence if you did not already

have it. Heck, anything good we got out of our experience there is great.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Didn't like it then as I hated talking to an audience. Still hate talking to an audience now, just seem to lose my bottle.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I used to like the ministry school and commenting. The older I got and the more I had to surpress doubts the more it became psychologically nauseating to publically express anything positive about witness doctrine. I just got to a point where I simply could not do it. I felt like a huge phony sitting in the Kingdom Hall, let alone actively participating in the meetings.

GBL

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I liked it too.

when I was School Overseer i enjoyed the meeting because you had to think on your feet to find the right words of counsel . i liked the unpredictable assignment.The material was more varied , nothing lasted too longand i liked seeing the ordinary dubs on the platform.

I do accept that it was much harder for 'sisters' , having to fit the talk into a conversation with a "Householder" .

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i LOVED it

• FMZ
    FMZ

Actually, I am with Tijkmo. I used to love it. I was great at giving talks and so I really enjoyed it when people would make a point to come up to me after the meeting and commend me. That was about the only time I felt that Jehovah was with me. BS.

FMZ

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

I LOVED it and I DREADED it...loved preparing talks (although my mom was always telling me to put down the Strong's concordance and keep it simple) but dreaded giving them (made me so tense and nervous but also puffed me up w/pride cos the overseer confessed he could never figure out how to critique me)...Like others here, I, too, was dismayed by the sexism.

~Merry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit