What were your reasons for not liking the ministry school?

by LongHairGal 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I had a love/hate relationship with the ministry school.

I loved it for the simple reason that it gave me confidence to speak in public and not be afraid if the audience were farther up the pecking order or more educated than I was. This helped me much in my real life outside of the JW's. I have heard very educated and upper management men speak who were not as good as some 10 year olds on the TMS.

I hated it because I was the school overseer for most of my time as an elder. I never liked to counsel people because for the most part, they were doing the best they possibly could. Some people will never be fluent public speakers. I only counseled on timing if they went under their time by a minute or over by 30 seconds. A couple of other elders thought I should be tougher on my counsel but a couple of others said that my counsel was very loving and thoughtful. I hate to brag, but it made me feel very good when many of the cong. told me that I was one of the most loving and thoughtful elders around and they were sad when I stepped down.

I also hated the TMS because of the time I had to put into scheduling and prepairing for each school. If someone didn't show up, most of the time I had to be ready to give the talk. So I had to really know what the information was.

Oh........and if you were a brother and your shoes were nasty (scuffed up and un-shined) I would privately let you know that your shoes should look as good as your suit. A little polish does wonders!

Ha Ha...these days I don't even own a pair of hard sole, shiny dress shoes. It is sneakers and casual and comfortable shoes for me.

HappyDad

• wiegel
    wiegel

I always thought that we should have been taught some "critical thinking", like what if the f'n householder didn't agree with you after 3 minutes of pablum? what then? wanted more conflict and conflict resolution - kind of like the REAL world. oh well, i always cancelled last minute due to anxiety over presenting my newest mini-drama - all hogwash and demeaning to the women who had a more difficult assignment in my mind. would have taken a bible "reading" any day - wtf??????

trudy

• Gozz
    Gozz

I liked it; and it was for more than a tinge of vanity... Let's put it down to genetics, but I'm, er, a good public speaker. Vanity. Tehre was no point saying things I didn't believe in...

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

ha ha,

I liked it but then I was the overseer, I especially liked the part when you could give critic on the things that the br&srs did not do good. But they changed that now too. Not allowed anymore...

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I DIDN'T LIKE IT MAINLY DUE TO THE OVERSEER'S LACK OF EDUCATION AND OFTEN A SORT OF GRANDIOSE ATTITUDE.

ONE TIME I USED THE LIFT OF AN AIRCRAFTS WING AND HOW THIS COMES ABOUT TO MAKE SOME POINT REGARDING THE BIBLE TEACHINGS. DON'T RECALL WHAT IT WAS .

BUT ANYWAY I GOT CHASTIZED FOR USING "SCIENCE" TO PROVE A BIBLICAL POINT.

THE NEXT TIME, JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT, I USED ANOTHER SCIENCE EXAMPLE AND MADE IT AS STUPID AND ERROR FILLED AS I COULD AND NO ONE SAID A WORD.

THE TIME THAT STANDS OUT IN MY MIND, WAS WHEN I WAS CHASTIZED FOR SAYING THE "ONE HUNDRED FORTY FOUR THOUSAND" AND WAS TOLD TO ALWAYS SAY " ONE HUNDRED (AND) FORTY FOUR THOUSAND".

Outoftheorg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit