What were your reasons for not liking the ministry school?

by LongHairGal 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

That is one of the things I am grateful for today. I am a little bit shy by nature and the theocratic school helped me get over that to a certain extent. I always did well on my college presentations too; receiving 'sincere' praise from my classmates. But like what_truth at some point I stopped getting talk assignments - for a period of 2 years ... WTF. Maybe I was showing up some of the elders wives . Anywho - I did enjoy the research and preparation, didn't mind the sisters too much cause I got along with everybody like a good little dubbie is supposed to .

• donald
    donald

them TM school was one of the few things i enjoyed...guess im a ham that way...donald

• sweet tee
    sweet tee
    difficult for a 7 year old...anyway he has done brilliantly..even managed to put some modulation in..not overdone..and has 2 words of the passage left....TWO WORDS..when the idiot school overseer bells him...disbelieving silence from everyone except me who says loudly..."you have got to be kidding"

You GO tij ... shame on the heartless bastard!

• Terry
    Terry

A school has to have teachers who know something worth teaching.

Your average Jehovah's Witness would only stammer if you asked them to read a passage in Greek or Hebrew because they haven't been to an actual Ministry School.

Ask any brilliant JW what these following words mean:

hermeneutics, soteriology, eschatology, aplogetics, polemics, etc.

They will probably only be able to tackle the....etc. and not the rest.

Why?

THE DON'T KNOW A DAMNED THING!

The JW Ministry school is like eating waxed fruit. It looks like the real thing but there is no nutritional value.

T.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

no terry you are wrong..(imho)..the school isn't about BEING taught..it is about LEARNING to teach..this meeting was one where the material is irrelevant..it is the speaking skills that were to be learned..just like when someone is learning to read the reading material is...well immaterial

what was really needed in the schools though was a good teacher..someone who could teach how to read and speak and sadly there were few of these because the school overseer job was the least prestigious or liked or sought..so was normally given to a new elder or an old elder or a disgruntled elder but rarely to the best teacher

i dont know the meaning of the words you posted but im still a great teacher...though obviously not the greatest

• aniron
    aniron

I grew to dislike the TMS in the time before I left, because the Elder who was made TMS overseer, couldn't string a sentence together if he tried. He was a most unarticulate person, mispronounced words constantly, spoke in a monotone. Why they appointed him I do not know.

First I must say that the TMS at the KH gave me the ability to put together a talk and be able to get up and give it. Which I have put to good use, at work and when I've been asked by various groups/churches to speak about the JW's.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Aniron said,

I grew to dislike the TMS in the time before I left, because the Elder who was made TMS overseer, couldn't string a sentence together if he tried. He was a most unarticulate person, mispronounced words constantly, spoke in a monotone. Why they appointed him I do not know.

That was the same situation in our congreagtion. He had the worst case of "word salad" you could ever imagine. zzzzz when he got up there.

Dismembered

"Who's the deadman that threw the salt-shaker?"

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

How in the heck did they expect us to stick to a time limit, follow an outline, use a householder that required everything written out word for word and make sense all at once. What a joke. I would go from giving a presentation to 500 people as part of my day job to playing "house" on stage at night in order to get my gold star/smiley sticker,

• Mac
    Mac

Sick and tired of being counseled to gesture with my whole hand.......

mac

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Terry:

You are right. They have no real deep knowledge of an academic nature. The only thing I think the ms imparts is public speaking skill along with a somewhat superficial nature of the bible. But, since most of the world is ignorant of the bible they pass as scholars. That is, until they meet a
    REAL one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit