When you left the JW's, did you keep all your books & magazines?

by Rod P 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Rod P
    Rod P

It seems to me that those of us who do research and study history would find it a real loss to leave the publications behind. Most everyone else would likely not consider it much of a loss, even happy to get rid of it.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I still have have everything, and get new ones. but then I am not totally out of touch since my wife is active. I would want to keep them though. I like to research, and use the books to construct my arguments - some of the pictures are amusing!!

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I used to do a lot of research but have now sold most of the stuff on eBay. I am a bit sad but I really need the money.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I left all mine behind when I moved out of my parents' house. I hope to inherit them and sell them, since I'm not getting squat money-wise from my parents when they cack.

• luna2
    luna2

I have a few old publications that I found in my grandparents' attic after they died. They were brand new and had never been opened. My great grandfather, great grandmother and a couple of great aunts were faithful JW's til their death and used to send my grandparents the mags and some books. My grandmother was hugely opposed because she felt like they'd neglected my grandfather as a child (he left the farm in Ohio at 16 and moved to Chicago to make it on his own), and because when my great aunts died, both childless, they left everything to the WTS.

I boxed everything up and put it in storage. I might have to go take a look at some of those old books again.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I had a pretty good library too. When I was df'd I was a pioneer in Paris, living in a flat let for a few months by a JW couple who were in England at that time. I had left most of my things in Bethel. So I went back to Bethel to get my car (an old deux-chevaux) and a few things -- not much as I had no place to go. From the library I kept only the Bibles, called a new Bethelite who happened to be there (and didn't know me) and gave him the rest. I can still remember his puzzled stare.

• Forscher
    Forscher

Mine are boxed up right now because I don't have the shelf space for them. My collection goes all the way back to Russell's day and includes a few extras like a pristine copy of "Faith on the March" By Macmillan. Recently my daughter-in-law approached my wife to try to get us to give my books to some "needy" congregation, but I am not going to do that. I figure they might come in handy later on if I continue down the road I seem to be going. ;-)

• eljefe
    eljefe

I am moving soon so I threw all of my books (not many) last night. I have the WT CD. That's about all I need/want.

• Honesty
    Honesty

My ex took about half with her but 99% are on the WT Library CD so I still have them. I have 'placed' some of the pre-1999 Awake magazines with people who had been studying with JW's until they compared the mastheads with the newer magazines. You can imagine how much I am loved by the loco elders in the area. LOL

• uriah
    uriah

I have kept all mine and add to them. I get my 'spiritual meal' from my old PO once a fortnight.
    I noted that many say they have the CD and that is all they need. I have both and have to say that there is nothing quite like holding a book.
    WT books have a smell all of their own and of course there are the illustrations.
    Has anyone looked at the adverts in the back - especially of the 1920's books, quite entertaining.
    It is interesting to read through and see just how much the JW troof has changed. It is only when you step back
    and look that you can see it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit