When you left the JW's, did you keep all your books & magazines?

by Rod P 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Rod P
    Rod P

I had a collection of older publications almost second to none. Along with the 30-year Publications Index, I felt invincible in the research department.

Then I got disfellowshipped and divorced, and my Ex kept them all. She said "What do you want them for, you don't believe it anyway." I couldn't tell her "For research" because that would have sounded like I was going to write a book exposing JW's, which would have made things even worse. So I just let her keep the whole damn library. It hurt at the time.

Then she got married again. Now her husband got to inherit all of the hard work I went thru to get them in the first place. Anyway, I got over it and moved on. Except now, on this forum, I could sure use some of those back publications. Oh well, at least this forum has the "living legacy" of a Collective Knowledge of the History and Teachings of the WBTS over the years, and that legacy is "You Guys". So if I am missing something, one of you can jump into the fray and enlighten us all. Besides, look at all the space I'm saving. (But deep down, I am a total pack-rat with a collector fetish, so hate to throw anything out.

So now, do you still have all your old publications, or did you throw them out? If you still have them, do you still use them, and how often and how much? Just curious.

Rod P.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I have....just to Open and Laugh! (and cry)

Brooke

• Quotes
    Quotes

I kept mine, but my wife took many things when she left me.

I still can't understand why she took my copy of the "Reasoning" book? She had her own copy! Same for the "Organized" book.

Oh well, I am replacing my "Reasoning" book (thanks to Ebay) this very minute.

Some people say they literally burn their old pubs; I say SELL THEM ON EBAY! Keep the truth about Da Troof in circulation, and make some money too!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I destroyed my collection. I didn't want to risk someone else being brainwashed by them.

(Mine was not a "great" collection will old publications... just an average collection of then current Books-N-Things)

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

the cd-rom is all i need to stay entertained. i kept all my old books to sell on eBay after i am done university in twelve years and totally broke. hopefully they will be worth something then. especially the ones from when i was like 6 years old and drawing crazy-ass pictures on the inside flaps of dragons and monsters. i figure extra stuff like that may make them more valuable. he he he.

but if not, i would be open to hooking up with anyone for a big drunken aposta-book burning party.

• Rod P
    Rod P

I don't recall ever walking into a Used Bookstore and not finding some old JW publications. Somebody was doing a lot of selling somewhere along the way.

• Purza
    Purza

I still have mine and I moved about three years ago. BF asked me the other day if he could burn them -- so that we could use the plastic storage container. LOL I said sure. So we won't be having them much longer. I didn't initially throw them in the trash because all the books have my name inside.

Purza

• rocketman
    rocketman

I did my civic duty by recycling them.

....Environmentally-Minded Class....

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

When I found out the truth about them I was so angry and betrayed that I got rid of almost everything. The first things to go were those bound volumes, then that big fat book about their history (I forget the name), then the "autographed" song book I got for my baptism signed by one of the anointed. I can't believe I held on to these things like they were treasures, but out they went.

• blondie
    blondie

I have all my bound volumes and books. I have stored away everything not on the WT-CD. I did toss any duplicate books into the trash. I did buy some older WT books that aren't on the WTS CD, but are on other CDs.

I do a lot of research.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit