If you have an ACCENT how are you treated?

by ChrisVance 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I hope I'm not rascist, but at the same time I have a lot more understanding as to why rascism exists.

We get a little taste of racism when we go to Hawaii. The place we like to stay is a beach house in a residential area on the North Shore of Oahu. Most of the people who live there are Tongan and Samoan. Boy do we stand out, with all of our redheads. The adults and little kids are nice to us, but the teenagers look at us funny and make me just a bit uncomfortable. There are some haoles (white people) like us who live there full time, but because we are new when we are there, they do treat us different. It's almost like "enjoy your vacation, but go home".

Okay..............that was nothing to do with language. So sorry.

• love11
    love11

Hi Chris, I hope I didn't give the impression that you were rascist. I only meant that I think you are on the recieving end of it. I wish you luck it's hard sticking out like a sour thumb. You feel all the eyes on you. I didn't make one single friend while living there and it's not because I didn't try. Just be yourself and enjoy the beautiful scenery in Mexico and maybe you'll meet some more modern liberal thinkers that don't care what you talk like or what you look like. Best Wishes

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

Love11, no I didn't think you were implying I was a rascist. I was just acknowledging that, yes, there is a rascist element that one feels when one is in another country. Your comments and experiences are appreciated.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

"I hate the Romans, already"

"Yeah, well, what have they ever given us?"

"Well, they gave us the aquaduct!"

• G Money
    G Money

Or you can adopt a Spanish accent from Spain and refuse to use their ghetto idiomatic expressions.

Joder!!! jajaja

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

LittleToe:

Besides the aquaduct, education, sanitation and roads what have the Romans done for us? Nothing!

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

I'm from Maine, but spent a lot of time in Texas and the South when I was younger. My accent is all over the durned place! In general, I think I sound neutral to other Americans, in that they can't place me by my speech.

When I'm drowsy or relaxed, the Texas in me starts to appear, and I call everybody Darrrrrrlin. When I'm stressed or agitated, I'm told I sound like Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York. And when I need to sweet-talk the local mechanic to squeeze my car in for a quick fix, I can sound like pure, native-born Downeaster- think Kathy Bates in Delores Claiborne, which is the one movie I know of where they nailed the coastal Maine accent.

Recently, a lady asked me if I was Scottish, based on my speech. Well, I am, on my bio-dad's side, but I think that lady was goofy, as I don't sound one bit Scottish when I talk. To be fair, she was a Southerner, so maybe she can't tell the difference. But still, goofy.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Somewhere between 2 and 82 I.Q. deduction as soon as my lips part. But I enjoy being underestimated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit