If you have an ACCENT how are you treated?

by ChrisVance 47 Replies latest jw friends

• lilbit
    lilbit

Candidly. I also have a southern accent and I get teased about all the time out here in vegas.

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

talesin, your point is well taken.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Throughout my childhood we moved about, from the Scottish Isles to various parts of England.

Whenever we moved South of the border, kids noticed my Scottish twang and as you know, kids can be pretty awful when they catch something different. The JW thing wasn't the only anomaly I had to contend with.

Over time my accent adjusted, but then we'd move to Scotland, where I'd get the crap kicked out of me there, too. And so on and so forth, through about a dozen moves.

I've ended up with a Heinz'57 accent, which often changes depending on whom I'm speaking with. It doesn't fit in anywhere, and the treatment can vary from amusement to scorn.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    And we all know that those of us from the Pacific Northwest don't have accents. Actually, on a plane to London in 1979 an British man told me just that. Many others contest that though.

Good point. I've told many people that too. I talk like the people on American television............hahahha, no accent.

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

Mulan, actually I do think there's some truth to it, but who am I to say? My master's thesis in linguistics was rejected.

• talesin
    talesin

When I was in La, people thought I was a native. We don't notice an accent on TV shows here (at least in the city, the country folk have different regional accents altogether). That's an interesting thing, that Nova Scotians sound like Californians and apparently, Oregonians, Mulan.

t

• under74
    under74

People from the NW don't have accents? I'm from WA State and get asked about my accent all the time. But it could be some carry over from Eastern Washington--pronounced Worshington.

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

Of course, Mulan and I aren't talking about people from Eastern Washington. That's not part of the State of Washington, is it?

• under74
    under74

Ahhh...screw you!

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

Well, are you gay too?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit