So what happened to Iraq's oil?

by upside/down 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

its not just oil, its about having a foothold in the middle east for greater control in the area, even for possibly more wars. see PNAC's rebuilding america's defences.

• upside/down
    upside/down
    Why do you hate America so?

please tell me that's sarcasm 6o9.

By good businessman I didn't mean a "good" businessman... he know how to make $$$, as opposed to morally sound.

I've never hated America... or any place for that matter.... except for WTS owned properties!

I could go "al Queda" on them....

u/d

• talesin
    talesin

'Good ole boy' does not necessarily mean good businessman. ;)

(no offense to any particular nation or state, I mean the "good ole boys' network" internationally)

• Mary
    Mary

This whole Iraqi war is just a newer version of the Vietnam War......there's some rich and powerful people who make shitloads of money from war, so they think of any excuse possible for one.......sometimes I think George Dubya is the reincarnation of Lyndon Johnson.........

• Bas
    Bas

If you want to know the truth about the current and near-future oilmarket, I suggest you start here:

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

More info on peak-oil you can find on this site which has a big active forum too. I visit there daily and I post on the forums too.

http://www.peakoil.com/

I could tell you a whole lot about the history and future of oil but it would probably turn into a 40-page scripture as I have studied the topic intensively over the past year.

a short summary then:

I do not believe in a corporate/political conspiracy other than that the official opec reserves are grossly overstated due to individual members wanting to pump more during the 1980's. The quota's countries were allowed to pump are based on their stated reserves, hence by saying they had more reserves than they actually did they could pump and sell more. In fact the individual members were competing with eachother in this way, resulting in grossly overstated reserves. These "fake" numbers are today used by the large but shrinking group of nay-sayers that say we won't have a problem of peak-oil for at least 2 decades.

At this moment however OPEC is producing flat out to meet growing demand. By the end of this year they will not be able to meet demand and prices will shoot up again. The decline in production at existing wells will not be able to be made up by new projects (which are very few nowadays) coming onstream. By the end of this decade, possibly sooner, actual daily production of crude will start to go into decline and this will be the point we have passed peak oil. The economic consequences, naturally, will be felt all over the globe.

Bas

ps Satanus, where did you hear this/could you direct me to the source? I think you've been misinformed, though there is a minor field under development in cuba.

Everybody seems to be finding more oil - china, cuba, africa, etc. From those reports it seems that there is more oil than ever before
  • Simon
    Simon

The oil producing countries are producing as much as they can - there is simply no additional capacity and the promises to pump more (to try and bring the price down) don't have any effect any longer.

The reason the price is so high is because demand is so high. A combination of surging demand in China and excessive consumption in certain countries pushes the price up.

As for Iraq's oil, I think the whole exercise has been about securing supply. This won't necessarilly bring the price down (as they could hardly pump it for free even though they will effectively 'steal' the profits) but it was all for the oil never the less and perhaps some misguided political/religious reasons as well.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Simon- I'm proud your response was excellent and well behaved....very British of you Very civilized and gentlemanly of you.

You even made an obvious attempt to squelch what I know you wanted to say, "excessive consumption in certain countries..."

That was an excellent display of self-control... perhaps your Dub training is paying off a bit.

AND I AGREE! we're not so different after all.... except you have that cool accent.

Cheers!

u/d

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser
    The Iraqi gov't or the oil companies? Every once in a while you read about a pipeline being sabotaged in Iraq.... where's it going and I assume that's an OIL pipeline?

The majority of the oil in the pipeline goes to one of the 2 offshore terminals (Abot & Kaot, not sure on spelling) that the Iraqi's built in the Northern Arabian Gulf, about 6 miles offshore if I remember the charts correctly. I am not sure but I think they might have an overland pipeline but I am not positive on that. The last time I was there, everytime the pipeline was bombed, pumping on the terminal stopped. This leads me to believe that they don't have a reliable overland pipline that they use. Super Tankers where lined up waiting their turn for a fill up as far as you could see into the distance.

Heatmiser

• upside/down
    upside/down

So is Iraq producing oil? And if so who has dibs on the profit?

Just how does the US have control... if they don't get the money?

Is there any plan for Iraq to repay the US and any other countries for the cost of "freeing" them? Or is it a freebee compliments of the US tax payer? Why don't they just have a debt to the US like many other countries? I could ask the same for Afghanistan. I hear the gov't is turning a blind eye to opium production as it's ALL they have.

Maybe that could save Social Security?

u/d (of the needs to know class)

• heathen
    heathen

I think I know what happened to all the oil in Iraq , it's been hijacked by underground oil lines and taken to Israel . LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit