A challege for Bible scholars

by jaffacake 26 Replies latest jw friends

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Can anyone find any Scriptures in either Old or New Testaments which contain the following phrases, or word combinations? I will accept any Bible versions:

1. New light
    2. Paradise Earth
    3. Apostate

On number 3 all I ask is for the Biblical definition of apostate, please.

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

I think I saw apostafest somewhere in the OT, but I'm not sure where... ( )

• Rod P
    Rod P

I don't think you will find any of those words, per se, in either the O.T. or the N.T., regardless of what version you use. The reason is all of the versions of the Bible are attempts to translate the words written in Hebrew and Greek into English (or some other language). However, I do think the Concepts implied by those words in your question can be found in the Bible.

Perhaps you need to rephrase your question.

Rod P.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Yesireeee Bob,

They are found in the NWT of the Holy Scriptures' Supplemental Reference Library on cd-rom. You may find this accurate source material which explains the bible, which no one except Joe Hoba's appointed channel of communication is able to do without any contradictions, reversals or outright lies at your local Kingdumb Hell, the source of the 'Pure Language' of the WTBTS. It is also available by mail with an adequate suggested donation (a fine reference cd with the only truth to be found would cost approx. $75-100 in a wholesale environment) to the Joe Hoba's Witnesses. This offer does not apply nor is it extended to opposers, ridiculers or former Joe Hoba's Witnesses. You may also inquire by telephone to 1-800-BLINDME

• upside/down
    upside/down

Honesty.... you crack me up!

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

And while you're at it:

theocratic

transfusion

Kingdom Hall ( words found together)

field service ( words found together)

pioneers

publishers

Watch Tower Society (words found together)

branch offices (words found together)

And there are numerous others. But mind you, since the word "Trinity" doesn't appear in the Bible, it should not be used nor believed.

• Satanus
  • Euphemism
    Euphemism

New Light: This expression is not found, even in the NWT. The Witnesses base it on the following scripture (needless to say, grossly taken out of context):

Proverbs 4:18 But the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established

Paradise Earth: There are several references in the NT to a Paradise of unknown location. The closest reference to an explicitly earthly paradise is the description of Eden as a paradeiso in the Septuagint at Genesis 2:8; but that is generally translated simply as 'garden'.

Apostate: It is used in the NWT in the book of Job for a word that is translated as 'godless' by the NASB and 'hypocrite' by the KJV. The greek apostasia is used in the Septuagint for the Hebrew words translated 'rebellion' and 'unfaithfulness' at Joshua 22:22 and 2 Chron 29:19. 2 Thessalonians 2:3 makes a reference to a coming apostasia; the only other use of the word in the NT is in reference to Paul's alleged apostasy from Moses at Acts 21:21.

(Disclaimer: I am not a Bible scholar, and the above information is far from comprehensive.)

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Two more words you won't find,

Circuit Overseer

Presiding Overseer

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

As to "apostasy," you could perhaps add (to Euphemism's references) a few NT uses of the related verb aphistanai (most occurrences of which are not theological at all):

they believe only for a while and in a time of testing fall away. (Luke 8:13)
    Judas the Galilean rose up at the time of the census and got people to follow him (lit. carried away people after him). (Acts 5:37)
    Paul decided not to take with them one who had deserted them in Pamphylia and had not accompanied them in the work. (Acts 15:38)
    Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will renounce the faith by paying attention to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons (1 Timothy 4:1)
    Take care, brothers and sisters, that none of you may have an evil, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. (Hebrews 3:12).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit