A challege for Bible scholars

by jaffacake 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Bryan
    Bryan
    bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established

Doesn't this mean the same old light should become more evident, clear or near?

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• TheWord
    TheWord

An apostate is one who rebels against the true teaching of Christ. This does not include one who prooves a teaching to be inaccurate, correct?

word up

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    This does not include one who prooves a teaching to be inaccurate, correct?

Ah, but you see, Jehovah's Witnesses have "The Truth" -- says so right on the label. 100% pure truth. So, clearly, anything that disagrees with that truth, must be falsehood and therefore apostasy. Unless of course it actually comes from the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses, in which case it is instead called "new light", and the "old light" is thereafter considered apostasy.

So, if you were a JW in the 1940's and you just stood there without ever changing your beliefs, you would have gone from strong brother in the congregation to apostate without changing a thing.

Cool, eh?

Dave

• TheWord
    TheWord
    Ah, but you see, Jehovah's Witnesses have "The Truth

Only God has the Truth, is this not true? I thought He sent Jesus to make it clear to them

word up

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Only God has the Truth, is this not true?

You'd think so, but it turns out that only the dozen or so men holed up in Brooklyn have "The Truth". God himself is somewhat excluded in the deal, since it is his word they keep using as a basis for their "Truth", even when it contradicts the "Truth" of yesteryear.

(Dude, I'm being facetious. JW's are as truthless as a religion comes. Most people on this board are ex-JW's.)

Dave of the "very, very EX" class

• TheWord
    TheWord
    Only God has the Truth, is this not true?

You'd think so, but it turns out that only the dozen or so men holed up in Brooklyn have "The Truth". God himself is somewhat excluded in the deal, since it is his word they keep using as a basis for their "Truth", even when it contradicts the "Truth" of yesteryear.

(Dude, I'm being facetious. JW's are as truthless as a religion comes. Most people on this board are ex-JW's.)

Dave of the "very, very EX" class

oh

• steve2
    steve2

When you "have" the truth and are "in" it, there is less of a need to see the words you use also used in Scripture.

By the way, isn't apostate just a modern word for the old English "heretic"?

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Wow thanks all. I've been digging too:

1. New Light - thanks Satanus, you win the prize! Interesting that it doesn't have the meaning Watchtower gives to it. And as others have observed, Prov 4:18 does not use the term new light, nor does it even support the existence of any such doctrine as taught by WTS.
    2. Paradise Earth - Not only do the words not appear, but I haven't yet found any support for the doctrine. I think JWs make the mistake of confusing the concept of paradise with the millennial earth. The Bible teaches that paradise is in heaven, not earth. In 2 Cor 12:2 Paul speaks about being caught up into the third heaven, then in verse 4 he says he was caught up into paradise. Revelation 2:7 refers to the tree of life which is in the midst of the paradise of God, and in Revelation 22 the description of heaven mentions the tree of life three times (verse 2, 14 and 19). It is clear that paradise is synonomous with heaven.
    3. Apostate - Thanks to the references, especially 2 Thessalonians 2:3; Luke 8:13; 1 Timothy 4:1; Hebrews 3:12. As I thought, none of these give the meaning to the word apostasy that WTS does. So can we conclude that although apostasy is a scriptural term, and can be applied to a great revolt (2 Thess 2:3) it does not have the meaning that the Watchtower teaching now gives. Nothing to do with questioning some of the congregational leadership's teachings.
  • jaffacake
    jaffacake

For satanus.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Oooo, i wonder what's inside Rips it open.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit