Drawing unfair comparisions-Convention talk on Tues night

by Jez 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jez
    Jez

Tuesdays meeting had a part about the upcoming summer convention. Alot of Q n A about how to dress, to wear your lapel at all times, to be clean, to not eat out bec the worldly vendors would be upset that they are not allowed to sell food inside the arena, to watch your language, conduct at the motels, to walk quietly, to not be in the halls during the sessions, informal witness at every opportunity etc.

Then this man comments and says, "What other religion would clean up the arena before and after a convention? We must not allow others to see garbage on the floors because we are a clean people. Just look at how much garbage was left at St.Peters Square after the inaguration of the new pope. There was a ton of garbage. How much better are Jehovahs people!" (heads nodding)

I thought, WAIT! What kind of a comparison is that? First of all we are talking about approx 2000 people to 1 million people. The sheer numbers alone do not allow for a fair comparison, secondly the arena is beautiful and comfortable. Air conditioned, garbage cans everywhere, perfect bathrooms and a known time limit. This was such an unfair comparison!

I hate that they have to pick apart other religions so much!

You know, too much focus is on appearances. Come on brothers! Talk to my heart, the inside of me, stop trying to develop my outer shell and try to focus FIRST on the inside of a person because that is what will ultimately shine through. I am so tired of this MAINTAIN THE IMAGE talking and OTHERS ARE WATCHING US. It is too superficical and petty.

Jez

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    I am so tired of this MAINTAIN THE IMAGE talking and OTHERS ARE WATCHING US.

It's all about appearances with them. They put far too much importance on themselves. Most people are NOT watching them. If they all died tomorrow most people probably wouldn't even notice, or care.

Walter

• carla
    carla

Do you think this was at all meetings? Reason I ask is husand & I have an ongoing argument that the jw's only care about appearances. Of course he says they don't care about clothing etc... 'We dress this way for jah... Why wouldn't we care about our dress?' you know the drill. I don't know what goes on at meetings unless I come here, and no, there's no way in hell that I would go to find out. carla

• heathen
    heathen

I'm just surprised to hear they are going to serve food . I've been seeing on the board the past couple of years that they were not going to do that because of all the clean up involved . You are right tho it's pretty lame to point fingers at the catholics like that , to clean up after 2000 people should be a whole lot easier than for a million .

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

They have always wasted on other religions and always will.. but now the world has the internet.. and payback's a bitch.

GBL

• TheListener
    TheListener

Carla, yes, that was the part assigned by the KM (U.S.) to handle on Tues/Thurs night.

From the KM (I don't have a scanner):

30 minutes: "Laud Jehovah in the Big Congregation" To be handled by the congregation secretary. Mention the convention to which the congregation is assigned. Consider the numbered paragraphs in the manner of the Watchtower Study. Have the paragraphs read by an assigned reader. Review the box "District convention Reminders."*

*Limit introductory comments to less than a minute, and follow iwth a question-and-answer discussion.

Song 8 and concluding prayer

• Jez
    Jez
    Do you think this was at all meetings?

Yup, that was the KM part.

Sorry for the misunderstanding about vendors. They are NOT going to let vendors sell food there! I was just saying that they don't want people going out to resturants to eat, bring your own food. Because the vendors will be like, "Well, if they are going out anyways, we should be allowed to sell food right there in the arena." The brother said that this would introduce a worldly element to the convention that is unnecessary and could damage the spiritual paradise.

Jez

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    The brother said that this would introduce a worldly element to the convention that is unnecessary and could damage the spiritual paradise.

Right!!! They can't control whether the vendors stay open during the sessions. Can you imagine if the consession stands were open right through the session. People might leave their seats to get something to eat!!!

And who knows what those godless worldly people would think of all the rules and regulations and pleas for $$$$ and control control control

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    The brother said that this would introduce a worldly element to the convention that is unnecessary and could damage the spiritual paradise.

If they really believed in their own teachings they would consider it a "good witness" to the people who would be working at the concession stands.

Walter

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

The workers in the concession stands would be laughing their faces off at the crazy dub-speak. It would get distracting for real or potential cultists.

GBL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit