20 years ago..a talk concerning field service..sisters crying..eyes opened

by confusedjw 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

love11 - how do you do that?

I put a ring of incense around my kids, they think it's cool too.

I burn incense almost every day. I found a cool store in a local mall run by a man from the mid-east (don't know where from yet, India seems likely). He's so very friendly.

Now to the topic I used to love field service when I first started out, and for perhaps 7 or 8 years after. But that's probably because I liked the social aspects of it. I loved talking with the sisters in the car groups, that is until I seemed to get on the 'outs' of the inner circle. I find people fascinating and love hearing differing opions and such. I was very good at the doors though, always able to make placements and get people to agree to an RV. People told me that I wasn't pushy like most witlesses they knew . I was very charming.

Once it became a drag to me I didn't know WTF to do but tredge on. Why don't they just people do what the hell they want to do? As much as I love the forum, sometimes I hate it when these old emotions come up. Has anyone done a thread on witnessing on the holidays? I HATED THAT!!!!!

sweet tee of the 'am I a masochist' class

• mapleaf18
    mapleaf18

has anyone done a thread on "fudged" field service hours?

• Gill
    Gill

No wonder they cried. It was a job they HAD to do whether they wanted to or not and subconsciously probably realised they were wasting their time and lives and whatever and however much they did it would never be enough or good enough.

I remember being seven months pregnant with my first and struggling every day, I did n't know I had a heart condition at the time, and two elders coming round and asking why I wasn't auxillary pioneering through my pregnancy as their wives had done. After all, women are only kept safe through child bearing and if I pioneered through pregnancy I would be kept safe by Jehovah through the labour as well. I think I cried for three days solidly after they visited.

Dumbass that I am, it still took me another fifteen years to leave dub land.

• Terry
    Terry

Just think, the theory behind field service is one of determining the householder's LIFE or DEATH depending on how they respond to an uncertain, shaky, unconfident and faltering speech at the door presented with all the professionalism of a librarian selling used cars.

Man, what justice from the Almighty!

Terry

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

i think i would have lied and said i enjoyed it when it was productive... which i guess is the truth for anything. the problem is that door to door is less than 1% productive, so it becomes not JUST scary and humiliating, but disappointing.

bethel

• Honesty
    Honesty

Would you have been in tears telling me your thoughts and feelings about field service?

I was so brain-dead and selfish that I refused to go out to eat lunch once up in Kentucky after a talk and the PO had to find someone for us to go out in service with.

• Krystal
    Krystal

Funny, maybe I am just crazy, but I enjoyed field service!

I liked talking to different people and since I wasn SOOO convinced about my beliefs it was easy. I was never shy/nervous.

Maybe it helped that I grew up "in the truth" cause I had been doing it as long as I remember... it was "normal" to me.

Once I started having more serious thoughts of leaving it was more difficult... for the last 3 months or so before I left I dreaded it. My heart wasn't in it. I wasn't convinced. I wanted to agree with my householder when they had an objection.

I was relieved when the brother who was arranging my Judicial comittee told me I wasn't allowed to go in service.

• JW83
    JW83

LOL @ Terry!

I liked field service, too, because it felt like I was doing something. It's the only thing sisters can do tachieve anything or to get a bit of attention. A friend & I used to go out every Sunday - usually just us, because no one else could be bothered! We thought we were doing the right thing ... I always thought it was pretty unproductive, though. Why doesn't the WTS just put ads on tv?!!

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere
    Mapleaf18: has anyone done a thread on "fudged" field service hours?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/83046/1.ashx <need to cut and paste it, i think>

JW83: Why doesn't the WTS just put ads on tv?!!
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/61008/1.ashx Just a couple that I remember... -Aude.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

NewWorldly:

That is a very accurate and complete view of field service and one of the best I have read!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit