Bookstudy Group Disbanded......haha

by Mary 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

BTP Quoted

I think I may have been one of those habitual flushers.. Atleast I know I Spent AS MUch time as possible in the bathroom.. Going through the cabinents.. etc...

Bad bad snoopy Get back to yur seat now

Dismembered

Cripes!

• Mary
    Mary

Scully said: They disbanded the book study group that was in our house (because I was missing too many meetings

Scully, the same thing happened to me. Years ago we had the bookstudy at my place. It actually was a really good group and we were always laughing and cracking jokes during the study itself......probably why we had the best attendence out of any other group in our congregation at that time. Hell, in the summertime, we changed the bookstudy from 7:00pm - 8:00pm (but we were always done at about 7:45pm) so we could go swimming afterwards! Anyway, the rest of the brain-dead elders were obviously not too pleased that we had a really good group of people with excellent attendance, as their groups were absolute shit with terrible attendance, so they had to come up with an idea to break our group up. They decided---one hour before the study I might add----that we could no longer have it at my house, because I didn't go out in Service enough. I was stunned and angry because I had just spent an hour shoveling the snow in my driveway so that everyone could park there. I got a call from my bookstudy conductor, who sounded very depressed when he told me that we were having the group at the Kingdom Hall instead. I knew this wasn't his doing, but it made me feel really lousy-----something they excel at doing. Our bookstudy was split up and moved around and now they've got lousy attendance everywhere. Jerkoffs.

• anasazi
    anasazi

[off topic remarks deleted]

• JAVA
    JAVA
    Our bookstudy was split up and moved around and now they've got lousy attendance everywhere.

Mary -- I think it's fair to say out of the five-weekly meetings, bookstudies are the least attended. However, the few that do well over a long period of time has little to do with following Tower rules. As in the group at your house, the folks click, they feel at ease with each other, and enjoy the social experience. It has nothing to do with the so-called spiritual food from the Tower. The Society doesn't like that--at all!

The little minds of the Tower begets smaller elder minds. The Tower and many elders are very jealous and can't stand sharing the spotlight. The Society likes to point out how Jehovah is a "Jealous God," because that describes them so well. A dictionary definition of "jealous" is, "bitter and unhappy because of another's advantages, possessions, or luck." The example of the bookstudy at your house is a case in point.

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

There WAS a bookstudy in our hall that had 100% attendance. The other bookstudies were hovering around 60% so they disbanded the 100% one. The told the host brother a week prior and announced bookstudy changes the following service meeting effective immediately. Never asked where the others if they could go or would like to go. It was a done deal. Used to stay after for an hour in fellowship. Not anymore.

The Elders reasons were obvious. Our 100% attendance would help the other bookstudy groups increase theirs. I believe the real reason was that 75% of the original bookstudy was questioning the elders and the society without getting satisfying answers. We all attended all the meetings. After the breakup, several stopped going and are continuing to fade. I am hoping to last til after the summer convention.

• Scully
    Scully

Mary:

Years ago we had the bookstudy at my place. It actually was a really good group and we were always laughing and cracking jokes during the study itself......probably why we had the best attendence out of any other group in our congregation at that time. Hell, in the summertime, we changed the bookstudy from 7:00pm - 8:00pm (but we were always done at about 7:45pm) so we could go swimming afterwards!

Are you my long-lost twin?? We used to have a really great time socially with our book study group. At least twice a month we had coffee and dessert after the meetings. We'd set up the table in the dining room after the meeting so the kids could play board games. In the summer, we'd arrange to go to the Family Swim at the nearby pool, or we'd invite everyone for a BBQ for dinner and have the study after dinner.

For a religious group that harasses people constantly to "not forsake the gathering of yourselves together", they sure had a lousy way of getting the message across. Apparently it's more important to gather yourselves together to be bored out of your skulls, than it is to enjoy each other's company.

• Chia
    Chia

Warning: Long story coming.

I remember when we had the book study at our house. First of all, I didn't even want it there. It was my mother's house, and she basically decided that she wanted to have a book study there, probably for some glory. I was ticked, because even though it wasn't my decision, I knew I'd have to suffer for it, and suffer I did. At the time my sister and I were pioneering and working, and my brother was working full time. My mom doesn't work, but is disabled. So we all would run around like maniacs trying to get the house tidied up in time for the book study. Also making things more complicated was the fact that my mom had to have some type of goody every night for them to eat. It frustrated me because I just wanted them to GO HOME. I remember one night they complained because my mom served cheese and crackers instead of an actual meal like she usually did. The last straw for me was when the elders called my siblings and I in for a meeting. In this meeting they told us that the brothers and sisters had complained that the house wasn't clean enough and that we had to do better to represent Jehovah. I was livid! We were the only ones volunteering our house for a meeting place, we had to put up with constant complaining (ie, "It's too hot! It's too cold! It's too loud!") and now you are telling us that the "brothers" and "sisters" are complaining more behind our backs? How about, "Can we help you with something? We realize you guys are so busy." But no, people always want to tear down and not build up. That incident helped lead me on the road where I am today.

So that's how I feel about the book study and attendance there.

• Mary
    Mary
    Scully asked: Are you my long-lost twin?? We used to have a really great time socially with our book study group. At least twice a month we had coffee and dessert after the meetings. We'd set up the table in the dining room after the meeting so the kids could play board games. In the summer, we'd arrange to go to the Family Swim at the nearby pool, or we'd invite everyone for a BBQ for dinner and have the study after dinner.

After reading that, I'd have to say I think we gotta be related! We also had like a goodie night every other week.......it was great......but as we all find out eventually, it's not permissable to have fun in this religion.

• Scully
    Scully

Just a reminder folks.

Please don't encourage the negative behaviour by giving his remarks your attention. I'm sorry to do this to a lot of you nice folks, but I'm going to remove off-topic remarks from the thread that give the individual in question unwarranted attention.

• Mary
    Mary

Sorry Scully.......it was temptation beyond what I could bear........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit