What has been your most spiritual experience?

by Qcmbr 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Yes, while nature tends to be all encompassing, a good piece of music or artwork will give me that same warm, spiritual feeling.

I remember going through an art museum with Gina a number of years ago. We happened upon a statue of an old oriental man with a pack or something on his back. I don't recall when it was made, but it was like the 1st century or something like it. Old. I felt such a connection to this man. I was awestruck to think that this commoner, this man, this grandfather, was here in front of me. Of all the people in his area -- including the sculptor -- he alone survived to meet me that day.

Awesome.

Dave

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Dave's last post reminds of how moving testimonies of the past can get -- perhaps as trivial as old postcards of places you know. I remember visiting a folk museum in the village of my paternal family and being deeply moved by all the familiar objects used by people just a few centuries ago. In museums you can see millenia-old children's toys and it's just breathtaking. Think of the ruins of Pompeii, or the Roman frescoes which could just be filmed once and were forever erased in Fellini Roma.

The farther this thread goes on, the more I think we're actually talking about emotion. Too bad this latter word sounds more superficial than "spirituality". To me it is not.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I know what your saying about emotion..that's kinda one of the things I was hinting at when I said to me the part of me that can express emotion seems to be somehow 'spiritual' - I was at a museum today and I was looking at the pictures of people from 100 years ago and I felt such an emotional / spiritual / physical response to walking where they walked, touching bricks they had laid, just this weight of history in all its normal yet noble way.. I think it reset so many of my inner feelings - like a good wholesome sweep out.

Maybe we look to far away for those spiritual feelings , dress things up in too much mystical significance, allow others to dress them up in too many irrelevant words. I think I like this definition of spirituality.

• louieb78
    louieb78

To say which was my most spriritual experience would be tough, but what i can say is the most spiritual experiences i have had are when i am studying privately and have the time to ponder and think about the magnitude of god.

These moments seem to becoming more rare as i get older and family and other commitments seem to fill my time, but just today i was able to have an hour to myself to think and study, it was great.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I have had two that were big...once when my daughter was missing and I was trying to find her. I was at a loss at what to do and how to handle it and mostly needed to keep a check on my emotions. I went into my walkin closet in my bedroom and closed the door.......it was total darkness, no one was in the apartment. And I talked to GOD. I don't know how long I was in there, but I am sure it was the most sincere outpouring of my heart I have ever done. I talked, I begged, I cried, I was angry and I did not stop till I was done. It came from very deep inside of me and when I was done I felt at peace. It was a wonderful feeling and I will never forget it.

The second time was flying from Memphis to Little Rock(like a 45 min flight) after a trip to Texas, I was on my last journey to home. The flight was delayed out of Memphis because of storms in LR. Anyway, we eventually boarded the plane. We flew around the storm. But then the plane was jerking and shaking and dropping. Alot of us gasped, and some let out primitive screams. I was very scared and the man sitting next to me talked to me and held my hand. When I was able to calm down and decided my life was not in my hands, I was able to look out the window at a spectacular display of overwhelming power. Lightening going from one end of the sky to the other......since it was nighttime, when this happened the clouds would be illuminated. It was so awesome.

As we flew closer to LR I could see lights, I thought this must be the lights from the city, But it was not.......It was if we rounded a corner...but it was the clouds and as I looked into what looked like a valley........a valley of clouds there was a small opening in the clouds to the black sky beyond. And there was the moon.......glowing through that opening onto the clouds.........I will never forget the image in my mind and what a display it was. We glided past it. Just observers. It was surreal.

We did Land........and the whole lot of us applauded. We found out there had been tornadoes on the ground in Little Rock.

Some day I will draw what I saw.............I realized nature and the universe as never before.

purps

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

I know this sounds corny...but I feel most spiritual when I'm out in my yard working in my flower beds or just sitting with a cup of coffee and watching the birds and other critters and listening to the sound of the little waterfall in our pond. (Long sentence award). Nature really calms my spirit.

Cathy L.

• Terry
    Terry

Please, please; what the heck is meant by the word:

Spiritual?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I think thats part of the point of this post - everyone has their own 'spiritual' definition - none of which are right or wrong.

To me spiritual is that part of me that recognises the world around me and doesn't really have words to describe it - that moment of awe, silent contemplation, appreciation, excitement, hope, gladness etc...experienced in a variety of situations.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

I agree!!! You will probably get 20 definitions.

To me when I feel "spirtual" I feel in awe. A part of something. A cog in the grand works. I have a place. This incredible sense of security, safeness, and warmth envelopes me. I look around me and see what an amazing world it is. How lucky I am for everything I have. The people I love. I can feel the overwhelming closeness to my friends and husband. I realize I have far, far more than I ever dreamed possible and or am entitled to. I have a type A personality...when the spirituality overcomes me I am content with everything and am at genuine peace with the world. I am accepting of myself and others and am happy with all the diversity of life. I feel sated. This is how best I can explain it. I NEVER felt this way at a KH or in service. I feel this way when I take time out to walk on the beach. Surf. Feel the sunshine on my face and hear the birds sing. Hear a beautiful song or melody. See a moving piece of sculpture or artwork. I feel it when helping people for work. It comes and goes. But usually will last for an hour or two a couple of times a week or so.

What is spirtual to you?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

As my last post before I go to bed:

Without getting too soppy my most 'spiritual' feelings are about my family - sometimes I just go and look at my little baby sleeping and I well up inside.

Other things that give me that feeling inside:

Great architecture (like a cathedral), nature (especially in summer), absolute silence (standing on a cliff with no one else around), some music (Queen - who wants to live forever, music from the film The Mission etc..), deep religious discussions about life, great movies and stories (Field of Dreams means something to me because of my (lack of) relationship with my father), patriotism and love of my country and the good things it stands for, seeing the marvel of nature and how simple yet beautiful it is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit