What has been your most spiritual experience?

by Qcmbr 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

OK highly loaded question but I'd like to know! I come from the viewpoint that we are spiritual beings having mortal experiences ergo we are having constant spiritual experience that maybe makes it seem commonplace..I'd be interested if anyone else has noticed spiritual events happening?

I'll shoot first:

1/ I think consciousness is itself fairly incredible.
    2/ I think the ability to exercise free will (ie generally able to overcome basic animal responses and do the opposite of what other animals would do - e.g. get up at 5 am and study rather than sleep, wait till I get home to pee rather than on every tree I come across, put down the great tasting chocolate cake and eat carrot sticks while dieting rather than eating any raw carrion I find around on the ground and so on :) is mind blowing.
    3/ The incredible feeling I get when I see other people succeed (watching the olympics , my kid sitting up for the first time ..)that to me is spiritual.
    4/ Meditation - just locking myself away from outside and enjoying me without arguments / criticism / noise. How on earth can we do that!!

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

Hi Qcmbr, i think this is an interesting question. while i personally lack a belief in the supernatural, i do have experiences of "awe" that perhaps would be interpreted as spiritual if i were a theist. 1. i am in awe of our existence. our small flash of existence in this cosmos, and probablity that I, or any of us could never have existed if natural selection had played out even slightly differently. 2. like you, i am too in awe at our own conciousness mind. 3. i am in awe of, and scared of death. for me, i have nothing after i die. just non-existence. this really shakes me, but also magnifies point # 1. these things that fill me with awe, stop me dead in my tracks sometimes. i get goose bumps all over my body, my vision and sense of hearing become acute, and my mind is filled by an emotion i can only describe as intense awe. thanks, that was a good question

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

childbirth x 4.

J

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I dropped acid once when I was 17, it was friggin awesome.

GBL

• Gordy
    Gordy

After nearly 30 years as a JW.

The realisation that there is a God who loves me for who I am, not for the number of hours in field service I do, the magazines, books I can place, the number of meetings I attend.

To see my son, exJW (now 29) in the last 3 years change from a someone who apart from meetings at the KH never open his Bible. To have read it at least 6 times from Genesis to Revelation. From someone who wouldn't open his mouth and discuss God when a JW. To someone who won't shut up about Him now. Whose grasp of scripture has gone from zero to quoting them as if it was most natural thing to do.

To find people who are not concerned about whether I believe every little thing. But that I just believe in Christ. People who have given me more support in the least 4 years that the JW's did in the previous 30. People who will will give of themselves to help others, even when they are not a member of our church, or even a Christian, total strangers. But because its what they believe Christ wants.

Meeting those in positions in the church, who when they have made a mistake stand up and admit it. A Pastor and Elders who you can go up to and not feel intimidated by. A Pastor who after giving a sermon someone can go up to and tell him they think he got some point wrong. Then the following week admit he had and correct it.

The biggest spiritual experience leaving the Watchtower and finding the real Christ, even though it cost me half my family.

• Grace
    Grace

I would have to agree with Gordy. Leaving the cult was the best spiritual experience of my life, and others are paying dearly for it. I say others because, although I am shunned, I am not the loser. I am so blessed to have the Grace of God in my life once again that I am happy and loving to all: those who don't want a part of the excitement of truth and life are indeed to be pitied.

Grace to you.

• love11
    love11

My family and I went to the beach and we were the only ones there. I think the earth stopped at that moment.

• Quotes
    Quotes

On some occassions, making love to my wife was so awesome, it almost made me believe in a higher power.

Also, just this evening: I was driving in the rain, and the radio station was playing side 2 of Bruce Springsteen's "Born To Run" album. The end of "Jungleland" gave me massive goosebumps and a wonderful bittersweet feeling -- a spiritual experience, if you will. Truly wonderful.

~Quotes, of the "don't believe in the supernatural but still have awesome moments" class

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Being there when my children were born; those feelings of awe, miracle and oneness with my wife are unique.

Otherwise:

Getting clean (sober) after praying and admitting what I was; that was the closest I have ever felt to God, and more connected than any experience I had while being a dub.

I am having feelings again of being in the right place and on the right track; that is what spiritual experiences are for me now.

P

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Surfing Easter Island

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit