Can it be true?

by WA Boy 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• WA Boy
    WA Boy

Hi,

I had to stop crying so I could write this and if you saw me you wouldn't think I would be the type to cry! I am a 35 year old man from Western Australia....I should be tough....or so they say. I have never posted anything before so excuse my fractured writing. My head is spinning and I am overwhelmed that there are so many like me out there! I was born a JW and left at 15. My two half brothers are still witnesses and so is Mum. I was brought up in Perth until I was nine, then because my JW step-father nearly murdered my Mum, we left to a country town. Of course my step-father never admitted doing anything wrong...in fact Mum was counselled by the Elders to go back! She didn't and bless her heart, raised us three boys on her own. Life in the country town was hard as a JW 'cos there was only 5000 ppl so everyone new I was one. I kicked off from a young age 'cos I wanted to be accepted by my schoolfriends. I never went away to camp, was never allowed to play football (I did tho), go to birthday parties...u know the score..it was so hard to lead this almost double life 'cos to survive in the town, I had to have friends but I also had to go to meetings and study. I was always in trouble with the Elders 'cos one of the other JW boys my age used to grass me up! My poor Mum used to get dragged into the study room and told to get me in line and I would then kick off more! My Mum never got divorced from my step-father 'cos in the eyes of the 'truth' he had never committed adultery or anything for grounds to divorce. He died two years ago....which released my mum from his evil grip. At 20 I told my mum he abused me, i went into counselling and got my head round it. he never touched 'his boys' as he used to call them. he used to take great pleasure in waiting until i was in the bath, drag me out wet and dripping and beat me with a belt...using the belt buckle end on me 'cos it did more damage. i am sorry if i am not making much sense but i am just writing as i am thinking.

Please tell me that there are other ppl out there that feel mixed up with it all? I wonder if some decisions i make are still influenced by the JW teachings? Like I still won't have another bible in the house or if i go to a wedding, i am hesitant (only for a second or two) to enter a church? It is only now that I am starting to realise that those years had much more of an affect than i thought. I am happily married (10years) and have a beautiful six year old boy. My wife knows absolutley everything that happened. She has been brilliant with support. I think it's because that i have got older that i am noticing more and so is my wife that sometimes my reactions to certain situations or circumstances are slightly off centre and when we talk about it we realise it goes back to when I was a JW.

I lead a very happy and fun life but I need to answer questions that are starting to surface now. It's the weirdest way I have ended up here. I work as a Business Analyst for a Bank and when I started I had to ring the Helpdesk about an issue. The girl who answered gave me her name and i thought i recognized it. when i asked her, we both realised we knew each other from the small town and from the congregation! we promptly caught up for lunch and talked and talked. it is great to have seen her again. she left the 'truth' as well so we swapped 'war' stories. a couple of weeks ago she left the helpdesk and started on the project i am working on now we sit two down from each other. she told me of this expose of a former witness and she brought it in today. i read it earlier tonight and i have been feverishly searching the internet for more info and here i am! how is that? i could have done this research ages ago but it took me to read that article and it just blew me away to think someone actually challenged the 'truth'!!!!!!

What a breath of fresh air it was and so is all the other info i have found. i am sorry if i have gone on a bit too much but i would like to say 'thank you' for listening.

Neil from Western Australia

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Yes it is a breath of fresh air to finally realize that you are not alone in this world that have gone through what you have done, survived and are better for it.

I'm glad you found us, and you will have a lot of support from us.

Welcome

cj

• bebu
    bebu

Very true!!

WELCOME to the board!!

bebu

• unique1
    unique1

I think everyone goes through that. I bump into a chair and feel like I have sinned against God. My mother used to tell me (I was a clumsy kid) that when I continually accidentally hurt myself it was because I was guilty of something I needed to confess to her and Jehovah. Of course I never fell for that line, but still. I am still slightly repulsed by the Cross, but am getting used to it. I now say Bless You when someone sneezes (may be an American thing), and it feels weird, I have to force myself to say it because I know there is nothing wrong with saying it, but it was always forbidden, Jehovah would never BLESS a worldly person. I still can't do anything for Christmas. I have conqured, Birthdays, Thanksgiving, Mothers and Fathers day but NOT Christmas OR Easter. Just can't bring myself to do it. I have trouble watching movies with spiritual subplots, because in the back of my head something keeps telling me they are demonic, although I know they are NOT. Etc... No matter how we grow up, childhood influences stay with you. We can't change what we went through. But we can learn from it and become a better person. Good luck on your journey through this. We are all here for you.

• Mystery
    Mystery

Welcome to the board WA Boy.

There is a lot of information in the archives as well.

Good luck on your healing.

Deborah

• TheListener
    TheListener

Welcome WA Boy. You will find some good friends here. You will meet people who can have empathy and feeling for what you've gone through and that which is to come.

Please browse the site and read everything of interest. You no longer need to fear the Witnesses and their doctrines.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

sad story man..and even sadder that its not the only one....hope you get all the help you need..there are plenty here that can empathize with you and console and offer suggestions.........so welcome

• WA Boy
    WA Boy

Thank you all so much. It is the first time (apart from telling my wife) that I have been able to talk about it. I am feeling a massive sense of relief. I am looking forward to getting to know other like-minded people. Thanks good people! :-)

• Emma
    Emma

Welcome to the board. Finding everyone here and the information available took a weight off my shoulders and the whole world seemed brighter. I no longer doube that maybe "they" have the truth; I know they do not.

There are so many people like us. Yes, we're affected by the wts in ways we're still discovering. Once you realize it's a cult, you begin to understand why.

Emma

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

WELCOME WA BOY. THANK GOD YOU HAVE A SUPPORTING WIFE, MANY DID NOT HAVE THAT!

BY THE WAY, I STILL CAN'T BRING MYSELF TO BUY A TWO DOOR CAR! HA.

OUYASERVICE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit