"Never was concerned about his destination, only about the trip."

by Schizm 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Schizm

What the hell has some family's expression of their grief to do with you? What do they care what you think? What do we care? What do I care?

Go get a clue.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

In an earlier post you asked "Do you actually think there is enough space on earth to contain God?"

Jer. seemed to think so. Jer. 23:24

You also mentioned something about angels were meant to live primarily on a spiritual plane. That may be so, yet. Rev. 21:12 doesn't exclude angels from the New Jerusalem.

The idea of a new heaven, new earth, and new Jerusalem imply a radical discontinuity between the former heaven and earth. Heaven and earth as we know them will pass away. (Matt. 5:18) I don't, however, think that the idea of "fire" connotes obliteration, but rather purification. See Rev. 20:11 and 2 Pet. 3:10. However, everything will not be as we know it now. Everything will be changed. See Rev. 21:5 The sea is no more also implies discontinuity. Satan , the beast ("antichrist"), and the false prophet will not be there. Death and Hades will be eliminated. The elimination of the sea symbolizes the complete victory of creation over chaos, of life over death. Whereas the former heaven is depicted with a temple (see Rev. 7:15 ), the new Jerusalem has no need of it (Rev. 21:22-27) But God and the Lamb will be there and so will the nations (those whose names are written in the Lamb's book). And, yes, we will see God face to face (Rev. 22:4, Matt. 5:18, 1 Cor. 13:12, 1 John 3:2) because God will be with us there Rev. 21:3 You can't get more direct than that.. However, that does not exclude the Lamb from the picture. Rev. 21:22-23 For lack of a better description I would call it heaven upon earth or the unity of heaven and earth. That will truly bridge the gap. The fire of God's love will bring about a new creation.

• love11
    love11
    The primal religion, if you wanna call it a religion, is shamanism.

Apparently, the first "god" was actually a woman figure.

It makes sense, because in nature and in humans women are the life givers. All life comes through a woman...well except in seahorses and a few other species, but for the most part.... women.

To a primitive and down right logical mind, it would seem that is true. However, to this day, middle eastern countries treat women with disrespect and it makes sense that the male god was made.

Shamanism to me, is closer to being spiritual than religion will ever come close to. But everyone needs something different to feel "spiritual".

sch- If "Mr. Matlock" felt so comfortable in his spirituality, that he didn't worry about death but rather looked at how he lived his life, then we should all look at that as a gift that he found peace. I hope we can all live our life without the stress of fearing what will happen to us in the "afterlife", because what if there isn't an afterlife, what if this life is all you get, and the afterlife thought is primitive wishful thinking on your part. I found encouragement in his words and hopefully you will to.

• Schizm
    Schizm
    sch- If "Mr. Matlock" felt so comfortable in his spirituality, that he didn't worry about death but rather looked at how he lived his life....Love11.

You've got it wrong. He WAS concerned about his death.

Notice:

Obituary says: "Mr. Matlock was never concerned about his destination, only about the trip. Jim's concerns were put to rest as he passed very peacefully at home surrounded by his family."

Yep, Matlock, although having no doubts about WHERE he would wind up, WAS concerned about having to die ("the trip") to get there.

• love11
    love11
    Mr. Matlock was never concerned about his destination, only about the trip. Jim's concerns were put to rest as he passed very peacefully at home surrounded by his family."

Look at it again, it says he was never concerned.

The word destination means: The place to which one is going or directed.

The word trip means: A going from one place to another; a journey.

Then it says: Jim's concerns were put to rest- A nice way of saying the man died.

So from that we can understand that Mr. Matlock was never concerned about the place to which he was going, only the journey.

Or you could say Mr. Matlock wasn't worried about death and heaven, but only his life and where that was going.

• Schizm
    Schizm
    Mr. Matlock was never concerned about his destination, only about the trip. Jim's concerns were put to rest as he passed very peacefully at home surrounded by his family."

If Matlock "was never concerned," then how is it that his "concerns were put to rest"?

You look at it again! It says the man had concerns "about the trip". Ever heard of the saying, "Everybody want's to go to heaven but nobody wants to die"? Such a saying shows that in order to get to their desired "destination" they first have to die (take the "trip" over to the "other side").

The obituary says that Matlock's "concern"--over the very real possibility that he might have had to go though a lengthy, painful death--ended as a result of his "trip" (passing over) proving to be "peaceful".

• love11
    love11

His concern about life was put to rest, he didn't have to worry about living anymore. Like the saying, "It's a journey, not a destination". Plus, why would anyone write in someone's obituary that they were afraid of dieing?

Are you still a jw? Because your method of "reasoning" is like a jw.

And why are you so upset over a man's obituary?

I think it might be wise to get yourself some help, you just seem really worked up over something that is silly. I'm not passing judgement on you, I just think that you seem on the edge and I wouldn't want anything to happen to you. I know the jw's frown on psychiatrist, but they can really help you and possibly make you a better jw. Love

• bebu
    bebu

If Matlock "was never concerned," then how is it that his "concerns were put to rest"?

Good grief, Schism. How can you be so dogmatic over an obituary?? Seems like you are trying to examine it like it were a disputed Bible verse... Stop and look how silly this is getting.

bebu

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

right on bebu!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit