Obliteration of the ego

by logansrun 59 Replies latest jw friends

• logansrun
    logansrun

At long last I feel I have come to a great spiritual truth: The human ego stands as an impediment towards self-realization and must be obliterated, or at least diminished.

I have seen this as a running thread throughout many of the readings I have done -- from Buddha and Shankara to Meister Eckhart to arch-skeptic and atheist Dr. Albert Ellis, the idea is to get beyond this concept of I.

What freedom this could be! Imagine: To live your life without thinking about your self-consciousness. Whenever I have been happiest -- the few times I have experienced what psychologists call a state of "flow" -- has come when any concept of "me" is lost. We use this expression often, you know: "I just got lost doing..."

When you have lost your ego you need not get offended or mad. You become the situation. Objective. Impartial. Effective.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or does this make you just want to vomit or something?

B.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    At long last I feel I have come to a great spiritual truth: The human ego stands as an impediment towards self-realization and must be obliterated, or at least diminished.

I would rather say it needs to be tamed first. It is the last thing to go prior to enlightenment. Enjoy your journey.

Ian

• IronGland
    IronGland

I believe Buddha beat you to that truth by a few thousand years. Also Richard Gere.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I agree. But, it's hard for brainey types to let it go. Eckart tolle (the power of now) also get into a lot of detail about it.

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

IG
    Richard gere lost his ego? I'm surprised he didn't totally dissappear or have a nuclear accident, considering the size of his ego.

S

• Terry
    Terry
    EGO

Could you share with us your definition of said EGO?

Is it Freud's conception you embrace; or, is it moderated by something else?

Curious minds want to know.

Terry

• Terry
    Terry

EGO:

According to the psychoanalytic perspective on human development, the ego is the part of the personality that is rational and reasonable. Providing a reality check for the demands of the id, the ego acts as a buffer between the outside world and the primitive id. The ego operates on the "reality principle", in which instincts are restrained in order to maintain the safety of the individual and help integrate the individual into society.

Good heavens! You want to do away with THAT and expect humanity to improve? Gahhhhh!

Terry

• Huxley
    Huxley

I'm down. Huxley

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    Good heavens! You want to do away with THAT and expect humanity to improve? Gahhhhh!

Terry, I think that's the ego talking there.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I do know what you're talking about. I don't think it's possible to live in that state 100% of the time, nor is it desirable. Freud's definition of the ego was posted. The superego is also important--that which contains our morality and concern for others--and cannot exist without a concept of "I".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit