Do you see real people here at JWD?

by jeanniebeanz 35 Replies latest jw friends

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

When people post to JWD, do you make an effort to understand "who" they are and take an interest in their wellbeing, or are they just 'ghosts in a machine' there to entertain you? Do the people here fall somewhere in-between for you?

Do you think it matters?

Jeannie

• Bas
    Bas

hi Jeannie Lot's of real people here, but the distance between them are bigger than if we were all in the same room. I think this both has some advantages as well as disadvantages to real life gathering. The low threshold to come to a board like this is definately an advantage. You can actually think before you type too, not that I do that or anythingb

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Interesting questions.....I seem to find myself responding differently to different posters according to the types of postings made, in all the various ways you mentioned, the way I see them changing in response to the exchanges engaged in.

~Merry

• greendawn
    greendawn

I believe there is more to people here than just being shadows in the internet land, if you like someone's style you can always send them an e-mail or PM and later things can move on to instant messaging or even to audio and video conversation eg with msn messenger a free service.

In addition I think there is some kind of automatic spiritual exchange like telepathy or synchronicity when people write (or think) of each other and that happens regardless of distance between them so you can feel someone spiritually at any distance.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    are they just 'ghosts in a machine' there to entertain you?

I like that idea - everyone existing for my personal amusement.

Seriously, I view everyone as a real person. But it's easier with those who I've met in person or spoken to on the phone.

Walter

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I see some people here as more 'real' than others. Their intentions usually become plain after a while and those who are just here to stir the pot and have nothing valuable to contribute to the site do tend to become 'ghosts' in my thinking.

I see some people as having a genuine caring nature, and tend to gravitate toward them seeing them as more real.

J

• greendawn
    greendawn

So Jeannie, more specifically what sort of people here do you find to be more genuine? What sort of traits are looking for in their postings?

• upside/down
    upside/down

JWD is kinda like cyber sex.... it's really can get you off, but leaves you a little empty.

I wish I actually could meet and know more here on a personal level.... I know it's not possible, so I settle for JWD as it is.

At least I don't get baggage from JWD, and if I get pissed, I just click it off. Sometimes I can say stuff that would be difficult to say in real life especially the risque stuff (so not me), but for some reason (relative anonimity?) I spout off.

Oh well, at least I'm having fun.

I'd have to say most people fall somewhere in the middle for me... although I recently met AlanF in person and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was exactly as I thought it would be.... exactly.

u/d

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Yes. I see every person here as real, even the ones who are posting under persona not reflecting their true nature. I am sure that creates temporary prejudices in my mind because it necessitates using my imagination to flesh out a character to respond to, but being aware of the temporary nature of my imagined character I quickly throw away my preconceptions when something posted changes my picture of that person.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I do see real people here, but it does make a difference when you meet them in person or at least speak on the phone. You "hear" their voice differently in their posts when you know them personally.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit