List options for my escape here.

by tsunami_rid3r 31 Replies latest jw friends

• love11
    love11

I know it may seem dishonest at first, but your parents do not need to know everything that happens in your life. Some things are personal. Your parents seem like they mean well, the only discrepancy is that you do not want to always follow their religion. I think your doing good by laying low and playing it cool. Try to stay out of their way and use the excuse of being loaded with homework. If they don't like that then say that you can't wait till you get your degree so that you can help other witnesses, or whatever.

I was stupid and told them exactly what I thought of them and their religion. In the end, I lost all of my family and I'm paying for college myself as I also raise a family. If you can bite your tongue around them then I think you could do it. But in the long run, you will pay for college in one way or another, because they can lord over you with the fact that they paid for your schooling.

Can you go to a friends house, that is familiar with your situation, and have a small party there? But if you miss this party, you will always have time for many more parties once you leave the witnesses for good. So you may want to lay low for now. Love

• Mary
    Mary

Hi tsunami........I've sent you a pm..............

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Hey tsu,

If I remember correctly your father is not a dub, but your family has cash. Is it really necessary to follow the dub rules if your folks are to pay for college?

If I remember your mom runs the show.

I know you didn't get a navy scholarship but have you thought of enlisting?

You will not do better right out of high school. I would probably recommend the Navy or Air Force. Their bases are so sweet. And if you get the right job in the Navy you could do some really good traveling. You don't make much, but you don't pay rent and you don't pay for food. It will keep you out of trouble while you do some growing up, and it will let you live life not on your folks terms but more on yours. (Actually uncle sams terms, but he isn't as bad as you might think)

I think it may be one of your better options. At least look into it.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Wanted to wish you good luck on the outcome. Also want to give you advice on being careful on who you stay with. I would be a little leary of a single male teacher that is offering you a room, only because often growing up as JW's we live in a semi-sheltered environment. Just some motherly advice--I was very naive when I was a JW.

• upside/down
    upside/down

I was in your shoes almost exaclty... except I was going to college and giving it all up to become a Dub!

I was thrown out of my house with the clothes on my back 6 weeks before I graduated high-school. But I had "J" on my side!

I survived on NOTHING but an illusion I thought was the "truth", and actually ended up doing quite well despite being a Dub. You have more than enought to make it. But it can be rough and lonely at times... but you'll have a HUGE advantage I never had...

AN EDUCATION!

Go for it and never look back...

u/d (of the grew up fast class)

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

The WTBTS doesn't tell parents to put their children out of they want to go to college. I know that much.

There must be something else involved here that your parents want you out. Make a self-examination and weigh the pros and cons of living out on your own. It's not that easy.

When I was younger and wanted to rebel against the WTBTS and my parents, I was patient enough to wait until I was out of college, had gotten myself a good job according to my profession and had a place of my own lined up. Then! Then I told my parents and the religion good-bye for quite some time.

I didn't leave myself out there to become a self-fulfilled/WTBTS prophecy that all that leave end up in horrible conditions.

You're young, and will continue to be young for a very long time. Be patient, behave, and be respectful to your parents until such time that at least you're done with your education.

DY

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

One of my younger siblings said that his misfortunes were all because his parents and other relatives were JWs.

That little liar forgot to mention to his friends and whoever would listen to him that the reason why my parents wanted him out was because he was threatning their safety with his violent and loud ways. He forgot to mention that he was using drugs and even distributing them, didn't want to hold a job to cover his expenses, didn't want to help out with chores at home at all, etc.

Please, be honest with yourself and improve your ways in order for your parents to help you out.

DY

• rebel8
    rebel8
    The WTBTS doesn't tell parents to put their children out of they want to go to college. I know that much.

There must be something else involved here that your parents want you out.

OK, DY, but then again, it's possible his parents are threatening to put him out if he goes to college, isn't it? There are a lot of decisions JW parents make that don't fall into a neat little category the WTS has made a specific rule about. They use their "consciences" and try to find the "principles" behind the rules to determine how to handle new situations.

PS-My JW mother did threaten to throw me out if I went to college.

• Chia
    Chia

If there's a way you can live on campus, or get a roommate somehow, and move out and go to college, that might be a good idea. If all you really want to do is go to college and have a little freedom, there is nothing wrong with that. I know this is going to sound bad but I always looked at it this way...it is my mother's house and it is her rules. Even though I am an adult, and I should be able to make my own choices, that's compromised because I live in her house. So I abide by her rules, or I try to anyway. That includes going to meetings. It's frustrating for me, but she is my mother and I do respect her. I am working towards financial independence.

What I'm saying is, as long as you live in their house, it's only right that you toe the line. But if you want to have freedom, you need to leave there. Make sure it's a well-thought out decision. There is nothing wrong with going to college. The worst they can tell you is that you aren't spiritual. You'll have to find a way to support yourself, if they really mean what they are saying. But be respectful at all times...don't let them have anything to say about you. If they continue to shun you, they will prove themselves the irrational ones, not you, the "worldly" one.

My 2 cents.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    The option I'm taking now, is just letting my parents pay for college, in return I go to the meetings and follow their rules.

If you can't be true to yourself you are not living, just existing. You'll soon be 18 and your own man. No one should be subject to emotional blackmail, as you are by your parents. As much as I am for keeping families together - always - your situation is outside the norm. Move out of the house and go for the education you long for. Tell your parents you'll always love them but that it's also time for you to find yourself. They'll ask you what you mean, so just reply that when you've found yourself you'll let them know.

Best wishes,

Ian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit