Assemblies suck

by Nosferatu 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Honesty
    Honesty

The last one I attended was in 1999. I spent 90% of the time sleeping off a 190/140 blood pressure due to all the 'uplifting' talks and experiences in the First Aid room while my poor kids were being subjected to verbal abuse by Joe Hoba's appointed servants out in the auditorium. NEVER AGAIN.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Assemblies blow

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

They sucked most of the time.... meaning from the opening prayer to the closing prayer.

When I was finally 16 or so we could all "bunk" up with my other friends. We'd make our apperances before the session, during lunch, and after the session so we could make plans for going out that evening.

We'd all take our turns for various parts of the assembly, then tell each other what that pieces / parts were about in case our parents asked how we liked brother so and so's talk.

It was quite easy to do back in the days of food service too. Working in the kitchen between sessions sure beat sitting on my a** not getting a single good thing out of it.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

Whenever I complained about assemblies I always got the story from my mum about assemblies in her day when they travelled 300 miles for 7 day assemblies that lasted from morning to evening with field service even being thrown in. They stayed in strangers houses, miles from the convention ground, that were often pretty terrible or the people were really weird. After that guilt trip modern assemblies seemed like a weekend at the Ritz... actually no they didn't, they still felt like crap.

I used to volunteer for security to break the monotony and follow anyone who had a beard or was missing a name badge or wasn't wearing a shirt and tie. It was no respite really cos the weather in Yorkshire usually meant that being on security you meandered around in the rain for 4 hours at a time.

This has probably been asked before but what was the real reason for the org. getting rid of the food at the assemblies? I think the reason they gave was that bros. and sisters weren't able to listen to the drivel from the platform while making food or something like that. I'm sure the real reason is different from that though.

• Frog
    Frog

Assemblies for me were a break from a terribly monotonous routine. And assembly usually meant a holiday away somewhere for a few days, maybe even staying in a Motel, a couple of new outfits, going out to dinner...was also a great opportunity to suss out the new talent from the otherside of the stand with a pair of binoculars;-) frog

• evita
    evita

As a teen, I looked forward to the assemblies. The anticipation and new clothes were fun, anything to break the monotony of my day to day life as a dub. Then getting to the assembly and realizing what I was in for. In the morning the excitement still fresh. By the afternoon I was desperately trying to stay awake or amusing myself by watching people, fantasizing about boys, bathroom escapes etc.... What a waste!

Evi

• morty
    morty
    I had to tote five kids, and had a non-JW hubby waiting at home looking for a meal when HE got home from work! What a nightmare! (I used to cook a whole meal and leave it in the fridge BEFORE I started the night before doing all the planning and getting ready for the next morning)

Sunspot,

Are you my mother??

If I did not know better, I would swear that you are my mom writing that post....

• Donkey Lipz
    Donkey Lipz

I hated assemblies and conventions...everytime my family and I went... our car always had problems!

• Dustin
    Dustin

I was usually mad because I had to miss the Packer game on Sunday. It sucked because I always came home from assemblies depressed, and feeling worthless. People my own age were very cruel to me, and I spent most of the weekend sitting alone in a chair with nothing to do but reflect on what a loser I was. They definitely don't bring to mind good memories.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Are you my mother??

If I did not know better, I would swear that you are my mom writing that post....

No hon, but I very well could be! My youngest daughter is 34. I bet many JW Moms went through this charade every assembly.

hugs,

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit