Assemblies suck

by Nosferatu 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Didn't it drive you up the wall how, after a long week of working or going to school, you had to spend your entire weekend at an assembly? The Saturday and Sunday that you could've spent catching up on some yard work, or even relaxing was wasted away by sitting in a bunch of chairs, listening to stuff you've heard many times before.

I know this used to drive me up the wall. It felt like I had absolutely no time to myself during these weekends. Jehovah had to hog all that time that I was given to relax.

And the thing was, it wasn't just once a year. It was three times a year! I just dreaded hearing that the assembly was approaching. "Aren't you excited?" Hell no. It means a weekend full of daydreaming and looking up scriptures instead of getting some needed time to myself.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Exactly my feeling - I have always found assemblies tiring and difficult - and definitely NOT refreshing - no matter how much spiritual food was served. My wife who is a loyal dubbie hates them with a passion for exactly the reason you stated - when the kids were younger having to take piles of diapers etc was especially difficult

• Scully
    Scully

As someone who was totally indoctrinated up until the point we quit, I actually looked forward to assemblies and conventions. Yes, they were tiring, and yes, they were full of boring discourse after boring discourse, and long horrible line ups for the bathrooms, but I enjoyed spending that time with my family, and I enjoyed meeting up with people I'd gotten to know over the years but only saw at conventions.

Of course, now you couldn't get me to do it for love or money. I'd rather spend my weekends with people who actually give a flying flip about me.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Assemblies and conventions are the worst. Especially for the little ones. No children should have to sit and listen to bible based guilt tripping for more than say 10 minutes tops. But all day!! You have to be kidding me!! Now that I'll have no job at the assemblies I'll be bored out of my mind. I've always worked in departments where there is a lot of talking and laughing with the other brothers so it was fun. Now I'll have to sit there like everyone else and perfect my sleeping while I pay attention face.

The worst part is that the material isn't new or exciting. The most exciting thing now will be to listen for examples and stories that I can check snopes for later.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I looked forward to the assemblies - such a perfect place to get away from under my parents noses for an hour or two at lunchtime, get hot brothers to eye up during the sessions, meet up with old friends from previous congregations, NOT having to go on the service for two days was a tremendous bonus, the delicious breakfasts and lunches, wandering about at lunchtime after a bathroom trip pretending I'd forgotten where I was sitting so a hot young attendant could chat to me until the end of the session, the dramas on the pitch and off the pitch, the experiences related from visiting missionaries. And best of all a new outfit for every day!

So okay I was shallow, but I had such a dull life the rest of the time - this was a buzz for me!

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I hated wasting my time at assemblies. There are better ways of being "spiritually uplifted". BBQing some steaks and sucking back some suds come to mind.

Walter

• morty
    morty

The only good thing I remember about the assemblies were the fruit bags and soft ice-cream

oh yeah, and the hottie boys......other then that, they most definitely sucked...

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

My memories of assemblies are this: boring, hot, boring, hot, boring, hot...

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    As someone who was totally indoctrinated up until the point we quit, I actually looked forward to assemblies and conventions. Yes, they were tiring, and yes, they were full of boring discourse after boring discourse, and long horrible line ups for the bathrooms, but I enjoyed spending that time with my family, and I enjoyed meeting up with people I'd gotten to know over the years but only saw at conventions.

Of course, now you couldn't get me to do it for love or money. I'd rather spend my weekends with people who actually give a flying flip about me.

Scully, I was like you. I loved the assemblies - it was different from the norm. That and my folks let me take the binoculars so I could scope out the cuties on the other side of the convention center. Now? You couldn't pay me a million dollars to sit through one of those things without getting ill.

• Shania
    Shania

I loved the assemblies and convention, we always had a great time with family and friends all staying at the same hotels,,,,,,,,,dinners out,,,,,,,,,,,lounging by the pool at night............also at the convention we often would see friends we haven't seen for a while.............so I have happy memories of those times.

Now today I go with a different agenda, I still love being with my family, but I listen very carefully to what is being and said and boy can you pick up alot of double talk...............so we sit and suffer in silence to be with our family.................

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit