WHO IS WORSE TO A JW, A PAEDOPHILE OR AN APOSTATE?

by diamondblue1974 26 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Aztec
    Aztec
    However, I'm convinced that Watchtower leaders mostly think of apostasy as far worse at all levels, because they know that it challenges their cult, and that they have no defenses against most of the charges that most apostates bring forth. Pedophilia, though, is easily handled either through disfellowshipping or ignoring it.

There is no question in my mind that apostacy is considered far worse than anything else Alan. I remember attending meetings in the mid-eighties (when I was still a little kid ) and hearing elders speak of apostacy as the "greatest sin". Intellectually it makes no sense but most of these people let emotion over-ride reason.

• Krystal
    Krystal

Paedophilia is a crime against man... a sin against a fellow human.

Apostasy is a sin against GOD.

Think like a witness again for a second and the answer will be crystal clear!

You can repent from being a Paedophile... Apostasy is an unforgivable sin.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Apostates tend to share their apostate views.

Pedophiles tend to keep their views and actions hidden.

Apostates are more damaging to the JWs - in their view.

-Aude.

• avishai
    avishai
    It depends on which JWs you're talking about and under what circumstances. I think that the average JW thinks of pedophilia as worse than apostasy on an intellectual level, but if confronted with real situations will revert to thinking of apostasy as worse, because apostasy challenges the very foundations of the JW cult whereas pedophilia can be thought of as a mere aberration, as a simple sin like adultery. However, I'm convinced that Watchtower leaders mostly think of apostasy as far worse at all levels, because they know that it challenges their cult, and that they have no defenses against most of the charges that most apostates bring forth. Pedophilia, though, is easily handled either through disfellowshipping or ignoring it.

Spot on as usual, alan!

As "individual" Jw's many of us have LEFT due to the society's heartles view on this matter. And become, in their view "apostate's".

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    i don't think you can seriously make such a comparison or generalisation. you can't compare an apostate to a peadophile any more than you can say all jw's are the same.

I have to respectfully disagree; JWs on the whole as an organisation treat paedophiles better than they do apostates...the thread highlights this fact so the question is a serious one which needs an answer. It isnt a generalisation per se its a distinct example where the WTS demonstrate their own inability to objectively distinquish between two moral issues.

• Flindersgirl
    Flindersgirl

Paedophilia is a crime against man... a sin against a fellow human.

Apostasy is a sin against GOD.

Think like a witness again for a second and the answer will be crystal clear!

You can repent from being a Paedophile... Apostasy is an unforgivable sin...

I haven't been able to figure out how to put it in the little box thing so forgive the clumsy quote.

The person who said you can't compare a paedophile and an apostate is correct, IF this were under 'normal' circumstances. However we all know that the Witness thinking could never be described as even fitting within the widest parameters of normal. I have known several cases of abuse in the congregation, two involving incest where the elders KNEW about it and never reported it or 'reproved' the person doing the abusing. However, if there is even a WHISPER that someone 'may' be apostate, well you are out of the congregation faster than you can say '144,000'. Its also interesting how other JW's handle what they know to be true, even if they deny it. I told my mum about one particular family, as I was good friends with the child involved and she slapped my face and told me to never repeat it. This person perpetuation the abuse was duly DF'd some years later but for a completely different offense, the abuse problem was never dealt with at the congregation level.

Now I'd argue that had I been told that this person was involved in what was regarded as apostasy and gone to my mum with it (I was 12 at the time) the reaction would have been completely different. My mum would have been on the phone to the CO so fast her Bible would have been flapping open in her wake. Because I am in the position, due to the PhD, of being regarded as a 'severe' apostate I can tell you my mum would RATHER I was a paedophile who was attempting to get back into the fold than a sociologist whose largest work to date has been on JW's, and who is living an unapologetic life, a life which includes intellectualising and 'microscoping' the JW faith.

SO the the quote "think like a Witness again and it will all be crystal clear" is right on:)

Cheers!

• Flindersgirl
    Flindersgirl

Oooo sorry guys mucked up the font its huge...pardon me....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit