If God doesn't want brothers to have beards, why does it grow?

by JH 67 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Q:Why do you think they feel a need to give direction on such minutia of daily living?

That's a genuine question, as it may help me get an insight on a non-JW organisation that acts fairly similarly.

• Terry
    Terry
    Q:Why do you think they feel a need to give direction on such minutia of daily living?

That's a genuine question, as it may help me get an insight on a non-JW organisation that acts fairly similarly.

It is like the Witchfinder General during the Inquisition testing to find demonic preoccupations in suspect women. It is all about power and control and keeping people under thumb.

My best friend, Johnny, still a JW; I asked him the same question and he replied:

"Just the fact a brother wants to do something the Society has asked him not to do shows the condition of his heart as being rebellious."

Ha!

Mighty tricky reasoning, eh?

The leaders (governing body) want absolute control and will settle for nothing less. INDIVIDUALS are not tolerated! One way of showing you are an individual is to set yourself off from the group (gasp!).

Look at an anthill; they all look alike don't they?

No khaki shorts and no beards!

T.

• JH
    JH

So, what happens if a brother keeps his beard?

What privileges will he lose?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

LT : Its just part of the overall identification with the LDS church - as a member of the church we all covenant to represent Christ at all times so that means being as neat, clean and respectable as we can be (it doesn't mean sandals, desert robes and beards - though I think that would be kinda fun :) An example is the missionaries wearing sober attire - suits and white shirts for the guys and modest skirts etc for the women.

As a side note I have noticed that I act differently according to how I dress - wierd huh? If I'm ever taking part in a play I never really get into the role until I put on my costume. I think that how we dress does actually influence how we act. There is probably some truth in the principle of making some outward appearance changes to reflect an inner change of heart.

As a point of agreement with those who think the church should butt out of life's minutia - I know sometimes members of my church definately get it wrong when they 'talk' to someone about their dress standards without actually acknowledging the person and the incredible sacrifice they are making in just being there. On the flip side the vast majority of ppl I know would gently suggest the standard expected at church simply by their own example rather than actual comments.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Well I'll have you know being of Italian ancestry I was even asked to shave my mustache before I could give talks! The nerve!

Terry:

Look at an anthill; they all look alike don't they?

No khaki shorts and no beards!

I'm still looking for the eyebrow on the gnat, now I must look at ants!? LMAO!

Kate or you can call me Harry or would that be Hairy?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Q:
    I understand what you're saying.
    That's how I would have handled it as a JW Elder.
    But I guess I'm really trying to understand the mindset over interfering at all, ya know?
    Why would they want to put themselves in the position of stipulating such a standard?
    Any insights?

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Because it keeps their minds off other things. By keeping JW's busy they don't think for themselves. And by the time they are appointed elders they are already operating in this mode. The concept that maybe Jehovah just doesn't care a whit about a particular issue seems almost heresy. Because they dwell on the shallow things of the mind....they don't delve into the deep, meaty, spiritual aspects of God's will....that's my 2 cents anyway.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

LT : I think the answer to that may be another thread!

In my mind if you actually believe your religion it should affect everything you do - ie religion proposes to answer lifes unanswerables and to provide a guide to some goal. If you do actually believe then everything should be affected by that belief - if it isn't you are kinda saying I believe this far but no further. If a religion doesnt ask everything of its members its worth its potential is decreased by the degree that it doesn't try to influence - IMHO.

Example: (and a pretty crap one at that hehehe)

Everyone sits at the roulette table (life) with $100 (the sum of their efforts - probably a bit high for me) - each one places bets according to their belief in exchange for the chance to win the house. Most people watch and wisely cash in their chips and join ex religion forums. Other people place little bets all over the place to reduce their risk. Some hard core gamblers place all their chips on a single number - all or nothing (they have a hunch they are right.) The gamblers are believers and they bet their lives on the dream. The wheel is spun and its a one time spin and the final chips laid down. Anyone who didnt play cannot win the game(though they can spend their life on other things) but the weakest position to be in is to spread bet - even if you win you will only get a very small return - no if your going to bet on a single spin you have to bet the lot - or don't bet at all.

If your going to be a Catholic embrace it in all its finery, if your going to be a buddhist don't play at it keep practising till you can actually float, if your going to be an aethiest don't keep a crucifix in the house just in case vampires turn up, if your going to be a Mormon/JW shave that fuzz off(especially if your female)!

:)

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

Because if God exits he/she/it is a Sadist.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Q:

In my mind if you actually believe your religion it should affect everything you do - ie religion proposes to answer lifes unanswerables and to provide a guide to some goal.

Wholemindedness I understand.

If you do actually believe then everything should be affected by that belief - if it isn't you are kinda saying I believe this far but no further.

Wholesouled I understand.

If a religion doesnt ask everything of its members its worth its potential is decreased by the degree that it doesn't try to influence - IMHO.

Wholeheartedness I understand.

But I still don't understand why you/they think it should go all the way down the the nitty gritty of a minor aspect of personal grooming.
    How is loving God with your whole heart, mind, soul, and strength and your neighbour as yourself, affected by wearing a smartly kept beard?

Do you have to wear a uniform to church meetings, too?
    Do you have to keep the rest of your hair in a certain style?
    I ask because surely these other things would fall into a similar category, by the reasons you've presented?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit