What made YOU drop Christianity?

by GetBusyLiving 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

When anyone anywhere can perform an experiment and get the same result each time THAT is truth.

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

Christianity has an unacceptable resume with a rotten track record - All Christianity in my opinion. Knowing and trusting myself is all there really is for me. Probably all there really ever was, and that's what got me in constant trouble growing up and attempting to continue believing the JW organization as an adult. I was always accused of being a witch, even when I had no idea of what the label meant. The Bible is built on many older (than it) stories and myths and organized into a very efficient political machine. For me now as always, I am connected to the earth (mother nature) and the energies involved. These are concrete, visible, ummm, some invisible, such as the wind. This is good enough for me, as working with it brings me deep contentment and a spiritual satisfaction.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

The day I broke the mind spell of the JW, I also broke free of Xianity and monotheism. Any time I question or doubt that, I end up interacting with people out in my day to day life, and they reafirm my view. Didn't someone once say that it is what comes out of a person's mouth that defiles them?

I have only met three individuals in my life who I would call "Christians" and who actually deserve the label--there are likely more, but very few. Anyone who prances around claiming the title of Xian, well, I question their mental and emotional stability and maturity; as a bonafide "crazy" person, it takes one to know one.

I think the Tao Te Ching states it well, "The Tao that can be named, is not the real Tao." Substitute God for Tao, and give that to the bible thumpers. Any way they say or describe god, IS not in fact God; but a human concept or model built of words.

• inquirer
    inquirer

Saying you are a Jehovah's Witness, Catholic or Mormon are just brand names! :D I was thinking about this recently!

Playstation, Gamecube, and X Box (...) -- They are all computer game consoles!

Coke, Pepsi, Fanta- Brand names!

:D

• inquirer
    inquirer

whyamihere

I think the JW's screwed me up to not knowing if I should or shouldn't believe in certain things.

___

You should be believing in God MORE! Don't let the JW's screw you! You can find peace at heart without going to the ____ hall.

• Terry
    Terry

The best definition of insanity I've heard goes like this:

Continuing to do the same action and, each time, expecting a different outcome. (Thanks Dr.Phil).

Christianity is like that.

All superstition and supernatural belief is like that.

The real world is real and it is cause and effect.

The world of "belief" (religion) disposes of that. It pretends that the contents of your mind (*your beliefs) are actually the power that creates events.

If you are a science fiction writer you can make things happen to your imaginary characters on their imaginary worlds just by thinking them up. But, newsflash! Not in the real world!

When I stopped thinking of myself in mystical terms I entered the real world. What is the real world? It is the world of things as they are. Things ARE the way they are no matter how people choose to think they are.

Christianity is layers and layers and layers of pretending and insisting you are NOT pretending. Faith is pretending you are not pretending.

There is no cause and effect at work in a pretend universe.

In a real world, if you ask your best friend for something they will answer you and you'll know it. In the imaginary world, you ask God for something and nothing happens---BUT! You pretend there is a reason. You aren't clear on what the reason is---but, there just MUST be a reason! You see? No cause and effect....just blind insistance that something is happening you are ignorant of and it is the best possible thing.

Reality happens because it is real.

When your life goes out of control and you cannot put your finger on the reason for it you have a choice. You can pretend nothing is happening; or, you can pretend it is happening for a reason. But, what if you didn't pretend anything at all? What if you looked at the cause and effect for what they were in real terms?

I made this decision and that happened. Hmmmm, maybe I should not do this....because....THAT happens!

Millions of people continue to do silly or even stupid things and then try to pray their way out of the law of cause and effect by invoking the King's X of God. Then, they wonder why life goes on being so chaotic!

That is at the core of my departing from Christianity (or any other mystical thinking). I prefer the results of knowing causes and effects are tied to real thinking and taking responsibility for those forces.

I don't leave the future in the hands of imaginary and invisible friends who don't answer me when I talk to them.

Terry

• love11
    love11

I've said this part before- After being df I tried going back to get reinstated. At the time, I thought it was the right thing to do. At that elders meeting I was told that they needed to see my face around more. At the time I was healing from broken bones and it was HELL!!!! sitting there on those hard kh seats. I asked them if they thought J god had forgiven me, they said yes, I asked why they couldn't, they looked at each other and said I needed to PROVE myself to THEM. At that very moment, I had an epiphany, I realized that it was a club of men making all of the rules.

After I found out about all of the "new light" it just became more apparent. I didn't want to go to any religion. But then as time went on, I wanted to have all of the good memories again of associating with other people of like minds. So I "got saved" and went to church. Even though I participated, there was always something in the back of my head saying that this is all a club too. I went to every religion possible. ALL of the christian religions, budda, hindu, shamanism, pagan, and just looked into all of the others. None were for me.

Finally, I decided that I would try to find out what the very first humans religion was and just do that. So began my research into humans, then neanderthals, then further and further. And I realized that we don't really know if there's a god or who it might be, so we make up stories and fables to try and answer the questions we have about life and death. I feel like a monkey that fell out of the tree and just realized that I don't have to walk on all fours anymore.

In answer to your question- I stopped believing in the bible as god's word and started believing that it was just a book written by men a long time ago that did have some few words of wisdom. Just like the koran, and all of the other so called "holy" books. But as far as believing in something for scientific proof, I'll leave that up to the scientist. Love

• homme perdu
    homme perdu

Saying you are a Jehovah's Witness, Catholic or Mormon are just brand names! :D I was thinking about this recently!

Playstation, Gamecube, and X Box (...) -- They are all computer game consoles!

Coke, Pepsi, Fanta- Brand names!

:D
    You forgot about, Lutherans, Baptist, Presbyterians, Orthodox, Methodist, Disciples of Christ, Pentacostal, the list goes on

• startingover
    startingover

What made me drop Christianity?

Reading the Bible without having someone tell me what it is supposed to mean. I didn't get into it too many chapters and there were so many discrepancies I finally realized what it is, Hebrew mythology

• Daunt
    Daunt

What made me drop christianity was just taking the time to realise that there were too many choices and too many claims to consider any one of them the truth. SO many religions and denominations that I have seen change at a snap of a finger just because humans wanted to. The bible has changed to fit people's interests. The pope changing his mind on women priests and birth control. All this change just considered too human to be divine. I changed all the time during the day, why wasn't it posted in the next watchtower? I couldn't just say i believed in something one day and I called it the truth and denounced everybody else that didnt believe in what I believed. It sounded too much like a little kid taking a peice of candy and fighting with the other kids and bragging about how he got the candy. It was so primitive it really got me sick after a while. Agnosticism/Atheism is the best way for me. I just accept that we are human and we do stupid things. Why would I want to go to a holy war with somebody when I know my views could change or could be wrong the next day? Just seems stupid. I loved advancing forward too much to say I have the end all cure to everything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit