What made YOU drop Christianity?

by GetBusyLiving 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• Carmel
    Carmel

The JW experiance has innoculated many against all "religion". Trouble is, most see the harm done by the 
    leadership thereof and fail to give credit to the good that it has done throughout history. All of civil-
    ization is founded upon the teachings of a handful of great men that have come onto the scene over time.
    Their spiritual teachings are all the same, yet their social/political guidance has evolved. 
    So it is not a matter of abandoning Chistianity, more a placing it in its proper context as one of 
    several petals on the flower of one religion. 

Either you buy into the whole package of religion or you opt out and deny that it has any value. In 
    our age of science and reason, it is hard to step back and see the value in religion, when most
    are stuck in centuries old paradigms and mythical renderings that have evloved into bizzar doctrins that 
    defy logic and reason. Religion is relevant if it provides answers and ideas that are appropriate for
    the age, otherwise it is best relegated to the trash heap. Religion stripped of science soon sinks into
    mere superstition. Humanity stripped of religious values, quickly becomes mired into pure materialism.
    Christianity, not unlike the other world "religions" has lost its luster by adherring to illogical 
    renderings of ancient stories and fables. Stripped of those, it has a central message of love and
    peace from which we all could benefit.
    cheers,
    carmel
  • cheeseman
    cheeseman

I dropped Christianity when I dropped the dubbies.

The only truth can be found in science.

After studying evolution I realised there was a HUGE amount of evidence for it...not like what the lying dubs told me. I started to see the bible as a fairytale, since science contradicts it. Hence, if I couldn't believe all the incredible stories in the bible, I couldn't believe in Jesus. In fact, I'm coming to terms with the fact there may not be a God at all. Christianity for me means nothing.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I'm not sure what I believe anymore. One minute I think I'm a Christian and all that (non-denominational), the next minute I'm not so sure. I have met very few people that give Christianity a good name. My husband is very into the 'end of the world' stuff, but he really didn't talk about it much when we were dating so I didn't know he was very religious until after we were married. Sometimes I think I'm trying to be a 'Christian' just to please him, which I know isn't right. He reads all those Christian fiction books about the Anti-Christ and believes the Anti-Christ is now growing up in some other country. He thinks one day Christ will snatch all the Christians up to heaven, leaving empty cars--people just disappearing into thin air. I somehow can't buy into that stuff.

I just don't know what I believe. I hope hellfire isn't real.

• Daunt
    Daunt

love2Bworldly, I think it would help you out a lot if you went out and read and researched religion, philosophy (A lot), and different cultures and science. All these different sometimes contradictory subjects will get your mind moving. And I've found that it isn't unrespectable to just say I don't know at times. But at least have the information to make an educated choice. Most folks seem to think you don't need one.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

• secular work on the historicity of the bible.
    • scientific method, science and specifically evolution/paleontology.
    • philosophical/logical arguments again the christian's omnimax god.
    • concluding after all this, that the JW's are just another right-wing conservative fundie cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit