What made YOU drop Christianity?

by GetBusyLiving 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mighty Mike
    Mighty Mike

I just happened to become curious if you will because a JW drops off a magazine every Saturday and Sunday at my place of work. I have asked many JW's for answers which seem to be vague to say the least, and also seen many ex JW-s, seems a lot of let downs these guys have been through. Speaking of witch, the person who said you like being a witch, my mom was one years ago.

I have been told about a book that I guess explains in depth about what the JW's stand for, something called, "Kingdom Preaching for Discipleship Making" or something like that. But it seems hard to come by.

I guess guys after seeing so much death, and all of the issues that are out there concerning eternity, and we are going to die, what hope is there.

Mike

• doogie
    doogie

Mike:

I guess guys after seeing so much death, and all of the issues that are out there concerning eternity, and we are going to die, what hope is there.

i hear ya. when i first dropped the 'christian' label, i felt exactly like this too. what's the point? i think this is the most important question in the world and we each have to answer it for ourselves. IMO, a lot of people don't spend the time necessary to answer it for themselves and instead just piggyback on what their parents and their immediate culture taught them about religion, god, eternity, etc.

again, in my opinion, i feel that to defer the responsibility of answering your questions to an organized religion is not really being fair to yourself. for me, it was only after i dropped all faith in organized religion and the traditional religious/deistic beliefs that i felt free to finally figure out what my purpose is. to be honest, i'm still trying to figure out my purpose, but the journey is pretty fun (man, i sound lame...).

in any case, i genuinely feel that everyone should actively destroy the beliefs that they have been brought up with (be it judeo-christian, hindu, muslim or atheistic) and try to figure out how THEY personally view the universe (edited to add: Even if it brings them right back to where they started). i would hope that my children would destroy the atheistic tendencies i will no doubt impart to them and start the whole process over again.

• Scully
  • poppers
    poppers

I dropped my religion when I realized that by following it I remained separate from what has been referred to as 'god'. Beliefs, ritual, dogma, and even prayer helped keep in place a duality that obscurred my true essence. I found that without knowing what my true essence was, knowing god was not possible.

'what if budah is the true savior....you're kinda screwed aren't you?'

The historical buddha was pointing out to all who would listen that they too are buddhas. The word 'buddha' simply means 'one who is awake' - awake to what one really is prior to name and form, prior to the arising of thought, beliefs, judgments and labels. No religion is necessary to know this.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    What made YOU drop Christianity?
    "Christians".

Especially the ones who are all serious about The Blabble.

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

As I learned more about Christianity in the first century I also learned about first century Judaism. I came to the conclusion that the Christian scriptures did not tell the truth about Judaism in general and the Pharisees in particular.

I stopped being a Christian when I realized that Jesus was not the Messiah but a deluded human being.

• IT Support
    IT Support

I'm now studying to be an athiest.

Why? Logic and reason seem to require it.

• Gordy
    Gordy

After leaving the JW's I didn't drop Christianity. I found it!

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

The only truth can be found in science.

I like Judaism better then all the other religions but all religion is superstition so to be honest I have to be an Atheist.

• Gordy
    Gordy
    The only truth can be found in science.

How do you know its true, who have to rely on men to tell you it is. How many times have they changed their minds through the years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit