Should I go to college or pioneer??? Hmmmm...

by ADJUSTMENTS 39 Replies latest jw friends

• artsteel
    artsteel

Go to college, worried about paying? Get loans but if you do make sure you stay the course and finish your degree!

Go to a community college to knock out core general ed requirements, and transfer to a university to complete your degree.

Personally, I ran into this crossroad 20 years ago, and I chose to go to school and educate myself.  I came to that conclusion by asking myself a simple question, do i want to be exactly where I am right now in 5 years? My answer was no so I did something about it.

The 'elders' came to visit me to discourage me, but I simply told them that my responsibility as a man was to care for my family too.  Shortly thereafter, I left the organization, and to this day I don't regret it.  As for you, whether you stay or leave is a personal decision, but don't waste your life working for free.

• steve2
    steve2
    To go to college or to pioneer is a no-brainer. Unfortunately, those with no brains will opt for pioneering.
  • millie210
    millie210
    Village Idiot

If I could redo my life I would have studied to become a paleo-anthropologist. The evolution of humanity fascinates me. Too bad we have evolved into this.

Really? How interesting. My interest was environmental anthro - especially as it applies to helping pastoral peoples maintain their lifestyles in a changing world.

I knew I liked you for a reason!

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

One very successful ex JW asked those who approached him (years ago)

"End is right around the corner?... Okay, well do I have to be stupid in the new system?"

• ADJUSTMENTS
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great thread!

You know, the WT speaks about one being "blood guilty" if someone's life is ruined or ended as a result of another's influence or actions...

SO OWN IT GB!

YOU ARE BLOODGUILTY BECAUSE OF RUINING SO MANY WITNESSES LIVES DUE TO THE ANTI EDUCATION STANCE!

(yes, I meant to yell in those upper case letters!)

• sir82
    sir82

Virtually every circuit assembly I've been to has featured an interview with a late-teens or early-20's pioneer. Inevitably, they talk about how they "turned down" scholarships in order to pioneer.

I can never figure out - in what parallel universe did these guys go to high school, where universities just throw out unsolicited offers of gobs of cash? Where I live, scholarships are offered only after a (sometimes arduous) application process.

If you've already decided, since age 10, that you are only going to be a regular pioneer, why would you apply for scholarships?

Hmmm....it's almost like these experiences are made up.....

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I think if I was a JW I would probably pioneer or I would feel I was a hypocrite in preaching the end was so near and then not having faith in Jehovah to provide for my work needs while I helped peeple on the road to life.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

...they talk about how they "turned down" scholarships in order to pioneer.

If your name gets out there, colleges (particularly 'for profit' ones) will offer "scholarships" for a few thousand dollars discounted from tuition. I got an academic scholarship that reduced my tuition at a state university, but I had to apply to the school first.

Otherwise, these kids are probably talking about how they turned down scholarship applications.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Oh look, a college Scholarship in an envelope....for me! I wonder where that came from?

Why are all these jws taking college prep courses in high school, prepping and taking college entrance exams, and applying for college scholarships?

They need to retire this oft-repeated fairy tale of jws being soooo smart colleges are just begging them to take scholarships without even trying, and they refuse to pioneer.

The boring truth: Someone in a teen's life (could be anyone--guidance counselor, uncle, neighbor, stranger on the Internet) says, "Hey, what are you doing after high school? You should consider college." And then the teen embellishes, running around claiming they were offered a scholarship and pressured to attend college.

Be a cabbage for Jesus

ROFL! I'm not certain I even get it but I think I do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit