My Mom is so upset she is skipping meetings!

by Quotes 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Quotes
    Quotes

I just got off the phone with my mom. My mom has been a JW since converting in her teens or early 20s; she is now at the age of "Senior Discount". A lifetime in the religion, by choice.

She is always very nice to me (even though I'm verbally DA'd) and she phones me when she can; which means she phones me when my dad leaves the house, and we talk until she hears the car in the driveway.

We spoke of many things, idle chit chat, family gossip, etc (we haven't spoken in a couple of months). Here are some of the interesting highlights, which make me want to jump for joy.

I told her about the Watchtower Legal Dept's Cease and Desist demand, and my response to it. She said "why would they do that? You are only quoting their own words?". She then mentioned the KM announcement about the Benson Kingdom songs, and said "maybe they are just cracking down for some reason" which doesn't make sense, because WT does not hold the copyright to the Bensdon Kingdom Songs, but that's OK, my Mom is not a lawyer. I told her I will send her the Benson Kingdom Songs disc, that way she has it, but since she didn't download it, she didn't break the rules in the KM. I also promised to send here a copy of the WT C&D letter, my layer's response letter, and a copy of the 1932 Golden Age magazine, just for fun (you know, the one where they said the theory of gravity is wrong).

She told me about the Asleep! going to once per month next year. I told here I've known about it for weeks now.

Mom thinks the Asleep! change is a good thing; she said "there are already plenty of magazines about science and current events, we don't need to print that. We are supposed to be about religion. (A heretical statement to the publishing religion!)

She seems upset/exhasperated that some in the hall were disappointed about the Asleep! change, since some feel the Asleep! is the only thing that people want to take at the doors (as has been discussed here at JWD). My mom said to them: "if that is all people want from us (JWs) then we don't need them; if they are just interested in a current events magazine and not our Good News, why should we waste time on them? We are supposed to be about Bible Education." She said that when she says this, people look at here like they are shocked and don't understand. (More Heresy!)

When a "sister" advised another "sister" about how to sneak magazines to a Return Visit with an opposing spouse (the spouse preventing the acceptance of mags), my mom asked "Why? Isn't it enough to preach (to the householder) from the bible? Why is it so necessary to give then a magazine, too?" Mom then asked me "Do they (i.e. the "sisters") think they will get a star next to their name in heaven for each magazine placed?" It sounds like these comments are not winning her any Spirituality Points within the congregation; although one "sister" did come around and agree that the message, not the magazine, was the important thing. (More heresy! How can they keep those circulation numbers high with this sort of nonsense????)

While in Florida in January, my folks saw a new assembly hall with a sign "Christian Learning Center". They have since learned (I think she said a by a letter or KM announement) that all the assembly halls will be thus labelled, henceforth. (This was news to me, sorry if I missed it here at JWD) This gave me the opportunity to remind her of the many other corporations and divisions of Watchtower Conglomerate (which is a direct violation of Galations 5:19-21, in my opinion). I also told her, plainly and without a hint of malice in my voice "Mom, I don't know why they are doing that, but I'll bet anything that it has something to do with saving money or getting a tax break." She did not flinch or object to that statement, and the conversation continued smoothly.

She sounded completely unimpressed by the "big announcement" a couple of weeks ago, which was the new book. Her words: "big deal". She said she couldn't understand why some in the cong were getting so excited prior to the announcement. Sounds like she knew it would be it would be a dud, she did not get her hopes up, and therefore was not dissapointed.

Here is where things get interesting: she said she hasn't gone to meetings last week and wouldn't go tomorrow, she feels she can't until the following is resolved. It seems the TMS Conductor ("Elder K") opens the Tuesday TMS meeting with prayer.... every week.... for TWELVE (12) YEARS. Also, if Elder K has the last part on the Service Meeting (i.e. later the same night), he will close with prayer too (usually, when the other Elder's have the last part, they will ask yet another Elder to close with prayer). She felt this was both boring and repetitive, and also innapropriate protocol.

She asked my father about it, but he was apathetic. She wanted to complain to Bethel Canada, but felt they would just say "your husband is an elder, ask him" so she didn't bother. Finally she convinced dad to check on the WT Library CD (which I provided them last summer, together with a computer to use it with) and my Mom is correct. Apparently, even the WT Study Conductor is not supposed to always close with prayer after the WT on Sunday, but rather should have other elders share the, um, er, privlege.

I inferred that my Mom feels Elder K is just hogging the limelight (she mentioned Napoleonic complex), and after 12 years she has had enough. I'm not going to assume that she'll never go to another meeting, but just missing a week or two would be a good thing in my opinion.... it gives me hope. She was really serious about this, saying that "prayer is very important" to her and "we criticise other religions because of the way they pray" and "is Elder K the only channel of communication go Jehovah on a Tuesday night?"

She said at one point she was keeping track in her calendar each time Elder K opened the TMS with prayer, just to see if she was imagining this... she wasn't imagining, it is every week. Then she realized there is a problem, she should not feel she has to keep track like that; realized that something is wrong.

I wanted to talk more, but the sound of the car in the driveway signalled the end of my mom's little confession.

I'm not holding my breath, but I'm feeling very happy and hopeful right now.

Quotes, of the "I planted, Apollos watered, but WT made it grow... through their own stupid behavior" class

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Your mom sounds really cute. and SMART! She is figuring it out and voicing it everywhere. That is wonderful. Sounds like a really cool mom.

purps

picturing her keeping track of how many times elder does prayer......hehe

• Quotes
    Quotes

Thanks Purps, my mom *IS* cute.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if ever there was a good JW, who was really trying to do the right thing and spread "the gospel" and avoid the book-publishing-cult" side of the religion, it is my mom.

I just don't know how much more she can stand before she realizes she is the only one bailing water out of the Titanic, while the Watchtower band plays on and the elders rearrange the deck-chairs.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    I just don't know how much more she can stand before she realizes she is the only one bailing water out of the Titanic,

I see that with alot of the older ones in my congo and it breaks my heart. They are the reason alot of us (found door-to-door) came on in. They are older and much more loyal. It is very sad. But, like I said she is smart and sounds like a bit of a firecracker too......so you never know what she might do.

• Jez
    Jez

What a wonderful conversation. My humble advice, go real easy on her now for a few weeks, maybe actually changing the topic of conversation if it gets around to JW-life. It seems to me like they can only take so much, like a baby being fed solids, and then the gag reflex kicks in and they panic. Seems like the JWs are doing a fine job of fanning her doubts, on their own, anyways.

thanks for sharing that, it provides hope. Jez

• Quotes
    Quotes

Thanks Jez, you're right. I've got to (continue) to take it easy.

I've been spoon feeding her for a few years now:

Thanks for the reminder, I have to take it slow. I'm working against 45+ years of indocrination.

~Quotes, of the "happy happy" class
  • Lehaa
    Lehaa

Thanks for sharing, that was great. It's good when JW rellies start finding fault from the inside. May be the start to her awakening.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Fun post. I got a few chuckles out of it.

All with the best of thoughtfulness and regard for you and your mom.

Loved your close:

Quotes, of the "I planted, Apollos watered, but WT made it grow... through their own stupid behavior" class

One can only hope! *fingers-crossed*

-Aude.

• Neo
    Neo

Quotes,

I'm extremely delighted to read these news about your Mom. Sounds she's can think for herself a little. Thanks for sharing.

While in Florida in January, my folks saw a new assembly hall with a sign "Christian Learning Center". They have since learned (I think she said a by a letter or KM announement) that all the assembly halls will be thus labelled, henceforth.

Can anyone confirm this? It's the first time I hear about it.

This gave me the opportunity to remind her of the many other corporations and divisions of Watchtower Conglomerate (which is a direct violation of Galations 5:19-21, in my opinion).

Sorry, Quotes, I don't get the link between the WT divisions and Galatians 5. Does it have anything to do with "divisions"?

I love it.

Neo

• Quotes
    Quotes

Neo,

I too am hoping others here can confirm the "Learning Center" thing.

Anyone?

Anyone??

Anyone???

As for Galations 5. Yes, in my opinion, they are causing "divisions, sects". Espectially with the "Order of Special Full-Time Servants". It seems that all JWs are equal, but Bethelites are more equal than others (to paraphrase Animal Farm).

*** Galations 5:19-21 ***

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, and they are fornication, uncleanness? divisions, sects, 21 envies, drunken bouts, revelries, and things like these. As to these things I am forewarning YOU, the same way as I did forewarn YOU, that those who practice such things will not inherit God's kingdom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit