What's the BIGGEST WEAK LINK in the WTS Armor?

by Black Man 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

The actual TRUTH!

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Wow there is such a thing as resurrection (this post)

Does anyone think the borg is any less effective now than they were when this post was started?

I've been out for way over 8 years so I have no clue what it is like anymore. From reading the posts here it seems like they are getting quite desperate and it might be starting to wane.

• millie210
    millie210

I think it is the elders.

they are poorly reguated and not well trained and they ride roughshod on the flock. Being "handled" by renegade elders is what opens eyes. Not just their victims but also onlookers eyes as well.

So yes, I will say elders. They are driving people out as fast as they are coming in.

• FatFreek 2005
  • Island Man
    Island Man

607 BCE and 1914. 607 BCE is provably false. 1914, which they speculatively derive from 607 BCE using eisegesis, is the pivotal year to which much of their date claims like the appointment of the FDS is derived. Their whole eschatology is out of whack due to the massive weak link(s) of 607 BCE and 1914. Even without knowing the truth about 607 BCE, how they derive 1914 just wreaks of quackery, speculation and twisting scriptures out of context.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Chils abuse issues woke me up and a disinterested teenager made me decide to study the origins of "the truth" closely, so I could prove it to her. Here we are. We attended the memorial last year and that was our last.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

You would think that a weak link is looked for in the middle of a lengthy chain or rope. But when talking about a weak link in the WT organizational armor, the weak point is to be found at the very beginning, at the top, in WT's leadership.....the GB!

Due to the many recent doctrinal changes and flip flops and more recently with the change in terminology of many JW 'Theocractic' expressions the eight WT GB are giving many the impression that they are all paralyzed from the neck up!

• LV101
    LV101

Internet - Al Gore's invention ? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Joke of the century! We so need Farkel!

• rory-ks
    rory-ks

('s funny...I'm sitting here at the table typing this, my wife sitting right opposite pondering the daily text...)

I was thinking about this the other day. (Those recently leaked judicial committee videos have made me somewhat reflective, hence the flurry of activity lately. I assure you, it won't last.)

Anyway, I was thinking about this the other day...

The Watchtower Society is a frankenstein's monster. The early church fathers (Russell, Rutherford, Knorr, Franz) have created something that can now run by itself. "It lives!" It is a multi-million dollar corporation that fuels itself. Watchtower and Kingdom Ministry articles are recycled from years of old material. Generations of families raise their children to be JWs. The governing body are made up of members who never lived the history, but are only repeating it from the Proclaimers book. (They are not sitting on a secret, they are now as ignorant as everybody else.) They are drip-fed new recruits from a public ministry that would carry on regardless. (Even if the GB threw in the towel, one gets the feeling that individual congregations would remain alive by dint of their own...something...I can't quite put my finger on the word.) But all that money the Society has! How could such a rich corporation/publishing company ever come to an end? The fuel never runs out.

But, there is something else fueling the Society, and this must be its weakness. It has already been mentioned by someone, but this weakness must be the time aspect. Their main thrust has been that the end is coming soon. Much of their early riches came on the back of claiming that Armageddon is coming soon, and if you want to know more send $1 for further information. Without this urgency they become just another religion, and that would be something they could not abide.

There has to be a shelf-life for this religion. You can only s-t-r-e-t-c-h the "coming soon" schtick for so long. One could argue that even the Bible said it was 'coming soon,' but that is not what the Watchtower Society has been riding on. They have been riding on the belief that this is it. These are the last days. The last days of the last days, etc, etc.

The January 2014 Watchtower Study Edition contains the article Let Your Kingdom Come. This would seem to narrow down the overlapping generation theory to an even slimmer time frame. (Read Meleti Vivlon's article No-one Knows the Day or Hour...Until Now for a precise summation of what he refers to as, "a major 'oops!' in the grand scheme of things.")

Now, many on this board would argue that the Society's last days urgency cries have already become absurd. They jumped the shark when they introduced the groan-inducing 'overlap' theory. But even this absurdity surely must eventually bleed in to the psyche of every active JW. How many overlaps can there ultimately be before it just becomes turtles all the way down?

No, it may not happen while I am still alive - the Society have probably bought themselves another thirty-odd years, and maybe they'll buy another thirty beyond that - but there will come a point when there will be no more time left to buy, and, well, we'll just have to wait and see what happens then.

• Fernando
    Fernando

It certainly seems to be that there is something intangible or metaphysical about their ability to hold their followers captive for so long despite so much evidence of their bad fruit, corruption, illegitimacy and irrelevance.

But, yes, their end is assured.

Not if, but when.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit