did snakes have legs

by tijkmo 77 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

maybe they were like centepedes!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    but advanced snakes similar to modern boas and pythons.

wonder if they were as big as the boas and pythons today.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Mythologically speaking the poster that suggested that the serpant had wings in the Eden story was probably right. A number of depictions of similar myths have a winged serpents as the human advocate encouraging the taking the fruit/food of the gods to have immortality or some such nonsense. The heavenly seraphim (meaning winged "firely serpants")are a left over of this ancient mythology.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Strangely enough I was thinking about this only a couple of days ago, in connection with the belief of some that the first sin was sexual union.

Genesis according to Toe:

And lo, the woman tempted the man with her forbidden fruit and drew out his bony rib, he fell before her and saw and took knowledge of her. Afterwards, (having not yet invented kleenex) yay they verily did wipe their parts with fig leaves.

And the good Lord of the manor did roam around in the garden and seeing the leaves declared "what hast thou done?", to which the man replied "lo, that woman you gave me tempted me beyond measure and we got nekked and then at the finish used some figleaves". To which the good Landlord said to the woman "why have you done his thing?".

The woman declared, the snake tempted me and I did eat, and enjoying it so much I offered also to the man for the oral pleasures were exceeding great."

To which the good Lord did say, "there shall be emnity between the snake and the woman, in that she shall have power to refuse him and he shall be fruistrated in not always getting his end away. And in the sweat of his face shall he "plough the ground" and it shall bear forth (with many labour pains) children who shall become teenagers and thus thorns in his side. And to the snake he said, you had a bone on, like other primates, but lo and now thou shalt be soft and spineless. Thou shalt be flaccid when at times thou dost writhe upon the ground, and at times thou shalt be filled with thine own impotence. He shall bruise you in the head (and your throat shall be sore afraid) and you shall bruise him with the heel, by a swift kick in the nethers or by 6" stillettos."

And lo, the man went limp and they left the beer garden of their neighbour Mr. G. Odd and Son, remembering fondly the night of the "flaming sword" which had turned this way and that exciting their senses, and yayy the good Lord did place two bouncers at the door to his nightclub who were exceeding big.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Thank you little toe your translation of the bible is quite amusing. And probably more accurate than the NWT. But I wonder...? Is this to be considered "all scriptures are inspired of God"?

LOL

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

yo....LT....verily droll............and i just found out the icon is a BLACK sheep

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

EvilForce:Truly inspired, but of questionable heritage
    But one would have to ask whether Genesis is of "the law and the prophets", if we are to apply the juncture of 2Tim.3:16 in the context of Paul's teachings in Acts 24:14; 28:23; Rom.3:21.

Tij:Nawww, it's a Cheviot/Blackface crossbreed.

• IT Support
    IT Support
    So if you search WT CD for "snakes" and "legs" this doesn't come up?

Though, to be fair to WT (not that they deserve it), if you search for 'serpent' and 'legs,' it does come up...

As an interesting aside, in the NWT, Genesis 3:1 says:

Now the serpent proved to be the most cautious of all the wild beasts of the field that Jehovah God had made.

The Hebrew for serpent is nachash and the definition also includes snake. Although the traditional view is that it was a snake in the tree that spoke to Eve, does anyone know whether nachash might have allowed for another animal, like some kind of lizard, of which some types are also known as serpents and dragons?

I don't suppose anyone has a scan of "New Heavens and a New Earth" (1953) page 81 which has an illustration of Eve and a snake with legs?...

There is an even more dramatic illustration on page 157 of the book "Riches" showing Adam gesturing to a serpent with legs, which apparently also looked like a lizard. And behind Adam and Eve is a contemplative, bat-winged Lucifer standing there in his bare hoofs. Anyone have a scan?

Having said all this, I still don't know of any legless lizards.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Listen you lot..I've been legless on lots of occasions..

Englishman.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

ITSupport:So when da ladies ask "is that a nachash in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me", it's a compliment, right?

Mike:You make my point (pardon the pun) so succinctly. Too much booze gives brewers droop. Genesis in a nutshell!

Btw, the same theme runs through the whole bible:

• Noah and the vineyard
    • Solomon's Ecclesiastical eating, drinking and vanity
    • Water being turned into wine
    • Shared cup of wine at the Last Supper
    • Cup of God's wrath in Revelation

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit