did snakes have legs

by tijkmo 77 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

Questions
    from Readers

?

Did the serpent lose legs or feet as means of movement as a result of the divine curse recorded at Genesis 3:14?

At Genesis 3:14 we are told: "And Jehovah God proceeded to say to the serpent: ?Because you have done this thing, you are the cursed one out of all the domestic animals and out of all the wild beasts of the field. Upon your belly you will go and dust is what you will eat all the days of your life.?" This is the only place in the Bible where any indication is given that the serpent did not at one time travel on its belly.

What is said here is, of course, directed principally to the invisible spirit creature who used the literal serpent as his mouthpiece. It foretells his debasement. But for the symbolic application of this judgment upon the wicked spirit creature who became Satan to have any force there must be a fulfillment of it in the literal serpent, which has come to symbolize Satan. It, therefore, is reasonable to conclude that before God cursed it the serpent possessed legs that elevated it above the ground. As he had the power to create the serpent in the first place, God had the power to transform its body so that it ceased to have legs and was able to move about on its belly.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i put this in scandals cos i dont care whether or not snakes ever had legs-and i dont think it is much of a scandal either way...its just i knew it was in the wt but once again i find the index does not direct you to it..this is happening too frequently

• Gopher
    Gopher

I'd like to quote the late, great Winston Churchill regarding the Soviet Union:

"It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma."

So it is with the Watchtower's reasoning on even silly subjects like snake legs.

Speaking for myself, for the most part I trusted the Watchtower when they spoke on Bible matters while I was a J-dub. Now even they want to hide from the fact that they ever printed such nonsense.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

I suppose they could have been like skinks...half snake / half salamander.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

This is really stupid. Just because someone no longer has legs, it doesn't mean their offspring also don't have legs. Also, Jehovah would have to cut off the legs of ALL snakes. He would also have to alter their DNA so that no snakes would be born with legs.

The snakes have been damned for all eternity, just like mankind.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

I'm thinking WINGS...fits better with the whole Satanic debasement thing, being cast down from heaven to earth.

Here's a winged serpent guardian from King Tut's throne:

alt

Maybe someone could address a new Questions from Readers letter to the WTS. They love stuff like this, me thinks. It helps keep attention away from little issues like their bloodguilt, UN involvement, and lousy child protection policy... And I am sure they would come up with something quite brilliant to say about the possibility of winged serpents.

~Merry

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i was just wondering on my way back from soccer...at what point did j. realise we were ready to handle the knowledge (new light) that snakes did not in fact have legs

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Which WT was that in?

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

This is just the WTBTS trying to impress the 'flock' with 'special knowledge' in order to keep up the impression that they are the 'faithful and discreet slave'.

The fact that their 'special knowledge' continues to be revealed as BS as science progresses doesn't seem to keep them from refraining from making new 'special knowledge' available to their gullible followers.

It's just sad...

J

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

1 june 1964 wt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit