JW work situation

by pratt1 47 Replies latest jw friends

• pratt1
    pratt1

I work for a rather large financial institution in NYC. I run a large profit center and manage over 100 people.

On of my best workers is a Dub doing a slow but progressive fade. He has informed me that another co-worker has personal issues (that he did not mention) with him and has been rude and unresponsive to him on many occassions concerning business issues.

My secretary who knows all the gossip in the company gave me the real story. The worker that is being rude is a dub, who has spoken to the elders about the unchristian conduct of the other worker. She decided to Mark him or shun him until the elders deal with his bad conduct.

This has caused considerable strife within the department and people are unsure of how to react around these 2 employees.

Incidently, neither know that I was once a dub and has been faded for over 10 years. Also neither has made an attempt to tell me the whole story.

My problem is that the work of the fading dub is suffering and he has dropped the ball on a few occassions where it appears that he should have consulted with the over righteous dub for imput.

I am pretty steamed that this sh@t is being brought into the work place, but I know I must reolve it professionally and quickly.

Has anyone else been in my position and how would you handle it? Or have you been in the fading dub's position? what would you have wanted your boss to do?

As you probably have guested, I am extremely sympathic to the fading dub.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

When I was DF'd the first time, I told my JW co-worker about it. (She works in another state, at the head office) I felt an obligation to let her know, I was still a "good dub". She treated me horribly, wouldn't return my calls or emails, was very unhelpful, militant. This time around, when I left on my own, I haven't told her about it to avoid the very situation you are experiencing. Others I've mentioned it to say if she ever finds out and returns to her ways, I should go to the management.

I think you should mention to the dub worker that whatever religious objections he/she may have toward the fader need to be left outside the workplace. That any perception of religious prejudice could bring a lawsuit against the company. Besides, his/her God surely doesn't want her to treat anyone differently based on their religious beliefs in the workplace, does He?

I don't know if you're in a position to have that conversation or not, but if you are, it sounds like a good way to go. But no, I've never been in your position.

Dave

• blondie
    blondie

What would you do if it were a personality issue based on something else, say different political opinions?

Blondie

• Shania
    Shania

It is a nightmare working with that situation, take it from me I was there. But if you are responsible for these 2 employees and work is being affected, then you have to sit them down like children and let them know religion and work don't mix. So you need for them to be professional in their work areas and leave religion at home for 8 hours. My situation changed when the offending party moved up in the company, actually things were a little harder, but eventually they left the company.

• Jahna
    Jahna

In Canada there is a lot of law protecting the fading JW that will get the company in a hoot of trouble and legal suits. I am not sure about the US but I am sure there is something.

I believe who ever is directly in charge of the JW employee should have a heart to heart about their conduct towards a fellow employee. What they are doing is equal to extreme sexual harassment! And we know how people react to that. Even JW?s have acknowledged that work is at work and outside work is a different story. I would say that the JW?s job is/should be on the line for misconduct. Religion has no business in a work place period and you don?t even have mention which type of religion for this to apply.

• Bryan
    Bryan

A poster here, Sassy, had the same problem.

You can read through her thread and see how things worked out.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/85669/1.ashx

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• pratt1
    pratt1

thanks for your comments.

Since the fader has not mentioned his religion as the cause of the problem, I am reluctant to bring it up.

A personality issue would almost be easier to deal with since at least we could talk about each person's style and apporach to work matters and how it effects the work product.

I will need to get the fader to be specific and then address each instance with both of them and point out how the interchange between the two should have occurred. I will impress upon the dub that she does not have a choice in how she interacts with the fader concerning business issues and I will document the converation.

Unfortunately I believe that the fader is feeling somewhat guilty for his actions (whatever they are) and he has tried to work around the problems without alerting management.

Bottom line, I need the fader to come clean about his treatment and then I can deal with the dub head on. Without his side of the story, and his work product going downhill fast, I would have no choice but to deal with him in disciplanary way.

By the way, the dub is the most inflexible person I have every met.

• jaredg
    jaredg

pratt....i know this may be a little unprofessional but try and put yourself in the faders shoes. he is probably confused and depressed and may even be very loney. his life outside of work is probably very stressful as he deals with this important time in his life. now he is also bing persecuted at work...this guy can't get a break. most of all this employee needs support!!! i think you should have an informal discussion w/ this employee to let him know that you understand what he is going through and that you are on his side. just knowing that you sympathise with him and can give him great encouragement will help him greatly and his productivity might rebound dramatically. you also need to speak w/ the super-dub and let him know that if he treats the fader differently due to religion that he could be sued. this is how i would address the situation.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Bring both employees into your office and remind them of the conduct expected of them at the workplace, regardless of their religious and otherwise personal differences.

DY

• adelmaal
    adelmaal

I have not yet read the responses but someone on this board (screen name Sassy) has been in the position of the fading dub. She took the matter to HR and HR handled it. From what I gather HR let the over righteous dub know she was not to bring religious matters into the workplace and that it would be considered harrassment if she did so. The over righteous dub was treatened with losing her job. They also let her know she was not allowed to release personal information protected by the privacy act regarding other employees (such as work telephone, address, home phone, etc.).

I would communicate to them both that while at work they are to carry on a work relationship. When communications are strained it affects the overall work environment and these two need to be able to put religious differences aside and work together. If either of them is unable to do so then I would make sure they know it will mean their job.

The poor fader is lucky to have a boss such as yourself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit