JW work situation

by pratt1 47 Replies latest jw friends

• avishai
    avishai
    Apparently the fader was DFed Friday night. The "Over Zealous Dub" announced this to several other employees and stated that she would no longer have any dealings with the fader.

She also revealed the nature of his "Sin".

Although I feel sorry for the fader, I now have something I can openly address. Since she made these comments openly I will formally reprimand the dub and warn her that any other comments about his personal life and her religious convictions and its effect on her work product will not be tolorated

I would have the dub apologize to the Df'd one publicly to avoid firing.. Perhaps grovel.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad
    Apparently the fader was DFed Friday night. The "Over Zealous Dub" announced this to several other employees and stated that she would no longer have any dealings with the fader.

She also revealed the nature of his "Sin".

Find out what congregation the "dub" attends..............call her in for a "nice" chat and inform her that you cannot tolerate this type of harrassment in the work place..........and that you are sending a letter to her body of elders about her dispicable "revealing of confidential matters" to people who have no connection to the problem.

Ask the elders in the letter, how she knows about these things anyway. Just say that you are close to someone familiar with the JW's and that you know what the "rules" are. You don't have to reveal your onetime affiliation to them.

HappyDad

• Mary
    Mary
    Find out what congregation the "dub" attends..............call her in for a "nice" chat and inform her that you cannot tolerate this type of harrassment in the work place..........and that you are sending a letter to her body of elders about her dispicable "revealing of confidential matters" to people who have no connection to the problem.

Oooooh good one! Anything that "brings shame" on the Borg is numero uno on their list........besides, even the WT has had articles in the past saying that if you have to work with someone who's DF'd, you still have to be professional....I'll try to find the article when I get home and post it.....sounds like that Witness that's working for you is a royal pain in the ass........

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

AlmostAtheist,

When I was DF'd the first time, I told my JW co-worker about it. (She works in another state, at the head office) I felt an obligation to let her know, I was still a "good dub". She treated me horribly, wouldn't return my calls or emails, was very unhelpful, militant. This time around, when I left on my own, I haven't told her about it to avoid the very situation you are experiencing. Others I've mentioned it to say if she ever finds out and returns to her ways, I should go to the management.

I think you should mention to the dub worker that whatever religious objections he/she may have toward the fader need to be left outside the workplace. That any perception of religious prejudice could bring a lawsuit against the company. Besides, his/her God surely doesn't want her to treat anyone differently based on their religious beliefs in the workplace, does He?

I don't know if you're in a position to have that conversation or not, but if you are, it sounds like a good way to go. But no, I've never been in your position.

Dave

If only the majority of never-been-dubs was fully aware of how the active JW's are encouraged to be so negative towards one of the ex's, even ones that may really want to get reinstated at some point, there might be a total stop to WT growth.

That would be great if the situation could be remedied by talking to the active JW and making it clear regarding the workplace being totally immune to the WT; maybe that would get a response. then again, I could see being a little concerned said JW doesn't get the panties in a wad and end up blabbing her bosses name to someone who might recognize it and start trouble for him, as well.

Also, sadly, based on seeing things happen at certain workplaces over a period of time, it seems that if someone's higher up the ladder, they happen to be in the "right" regardless of whether they actually are or not, and unless you're someone especially important to the company, if the company sees detriment in keeping both people on and without an easy solution to the problem, it's possible they might find reasons to get rid of the person lower on the ladder -- at least based on what I've personally seen, though things may be different where you're located (hopefully so!). Hopefully I'm wrong on each thing here and that the dub could be repremanded in some way as to stop the b.s.~!

• adelmaal
    adelmaal
    that you are sending a letter to her body of elders about her dispicable "revealing of confidential matters" to people who have no connection to the problem

While that sounds gratifying it would also constitute workplace harassment. You would want to keep things professional. No need to bring religion into the workplace when you are counseling someone on keeping it out of the workplace...

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Personal advice since you are in management--do not let anyone know you used to be a JW. If the one who got disfellowshipped was ever reinstated, or he became angry at the active JW, he may spill the beans.

Protect yourself, people can't keep secrets.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

In Australia the treatment from this over zealous dub would be classified as workplace bullying. Bullying can take any form including ignoring colleagues and making a show of it. I have a HR background and thought that perhaps this is an angle you may like to approach.
    1) Explain to the dub that they are guilty of workplace bullying and that it will not be tolerated and they are treat ALL their colleagues the same regardless of racial, religous or other backgrounds.
    2) Issue the dub with a formal warning outlining that you have had this discussion and advise that if she recieves one more formal warning it will result in her termination.
    3) Have a discussion with the DF person and explain that you have a zero tolerance of workplace bullying. This will comfort the victim. However advise them that you have noticed their work levels dropping recently and that you appreciate this may because of some issues with collegues. Reassure them that you have confidence in them to perform the work satisfactorly and also use this time to encourage them to approach you if they feel anything may begin to impact on their performance levels.
    4) send a memo or have a staff meeting about workplace bullying. Define what it is and that your company has a zero tolerance policy. Explain how workplace bullying can be reported and the consequences. It is important for the rest of your staff to konw this same policy as they are aware of this issue.

Anyway my 2 cents worth.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere
    I know this may be a little unprofessional but try and put yourself in the faders shoes. he is probably confused and depressed and may even be very loney.... [- Jared (??)]

Pratt -

I have not read this entire thread. Seems that you personally have nearly resolved your immediate concern but incase my thought might help someone else, here's my 2 cents:

To 'address without addressing', how about a concerned chat with the fader about his/her seeming down, depressed, lacking in normal confidence. Try to probe to get fader to highlight a key area of personal insecurity or professional frustration. Remind him that life events sometimes get in the way and while you understand that, part of your job is to mitigate the impact on the business. Also, As manager, coach, whatever title suits you, call attention to the fact that another part of your job is encourage each employee to achieve personal best and seems that something is hindering that. Reassure that job is not on the line (yet) and this is not formal inquiry but rather informal because you are concerned as a person.

If you company offers counselling services, perhaps a referral may help, too.

This may or may not help others. I had similar situation but the people involved were much younger (late teens and early twenties) and was 15 years ago when the laws were different.

-Aude.

• freedom96
    freedom96

It is completely unprofessional for the witness to be shunning the other at work, and perhaps illegal.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere
    The "Over Zealous Dub" announced this to several other employees and stated that she would no longer have any dealings with the fader.

Oooo this makes me angry.

Brazen, pious, big-headed, obnoxious, contentious (sp?)

Avishai's suggestion to Publicly appologize and grovel is good. Puts the others on notice that back-biting and malicious slander will not be taken lightly. Period.

Letter to the elders in her congregation. I like this, but send it 'anonomously' - as if it was sent by one of the dozen or so who were told.

I would venture to guess, that this Over-Zealous Dub also witnesses alot on company time and whether anyone is aware of it or not, is causing troubles for other non-witnesses as well.

If possible, i'd look to see if religious harrassment is grounds for termination.

-Aude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit