Are the Demons Really Everywhere?

by professor 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

Hi Ivy,

In response to your question on if the WTBTS has actually written against the Harry Potter books I can only say that I haven't read anything like that. My only two recollections are and assembly item on spiritism and Harry Potter, Buffy the Vampire slayer etc being mentioned as showing we might be interested in spirits, and a public talk in which the elder mention we must not have interests in spiritism for example Harry Potter, Buffy, charmed etc.

• love11
    love11

Sure- for the schizophrenic and the acid droppers.

• ljwtiamb
    ljwtiamb

When I was in WT HQ there were several factions:

1. One was headed by a GB who believed that the entire Star Wars series was totally demonic. He even gave a special lecture at bethel about how the Jedi represented demons under the control of their Satanic leader.

2. Another group was totally against Star Trek, same type of reasoning.

3. Yet another group focused on demonic rock and roll. They researched every Beatles, Led Zepellin, Queen album for some type of demonic influence. What really got me was when they hit the Satanic motherload of all music, RAP. It took me years before I would not change my radio station when Stairway to Heaven came on.

It was still interesting because for every group there was another group that totally supported Star Wars, Star Trek, rock music.

So you see, even at the big house the demons can get into some and not others.

• Mary
    Mary

I believe there are demons out there, but I also think that the Witnesses go overboard on it and instill an unhealthy fear in their kids.

• M.J.
    M.J.

My mom is a real fundamental Christian who shuns all that wizardry stuff in entertainment, to the point where I think it's kind of silly. And she also believes in demons lurking around all over and influencing all kinds of things in the world, to the point where I also think it's kind of silly. But at the same time she has absolutely no fear of demons, or Satan or spirits, etc., always quoting that "greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world".

I found this to be in stark contrast with the JWs who seem to feel like a demon is going to pounce on them at any moment. The wife even told me a story of some sister who always wears her hair up--this is allegedly because some woman long ago cast a spell on her and eventually her hair started falling out. I laughed and said, "anyone who goes around worried sick every day about some evil curse is probably gonna lose some hair!"

It reminds me of when Steven Hassan in his book "Releasing the Bonds" told about how Rev. Moon made Steve's group of Moonies all go watch "The Exorcist" to show them what could happen to them if they left the protection of the group. It scared the pants off all of them. Fear, especially of the supernatural, is the #1 control method of mind controlling cults.

• heathen
    heathen

Well I guess you all better clear off this thread because according to the J-dubs I'm the one with all the deeeeeeeeeeeeemonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . It's one thing to say you believe in deeeeeeeeeeeeemonnnnnnnnnnzzzzzzzzzzz but it's another to run around accusing people of having them . What a bunch of jerks . I think that Harry Potter does make lite of the black arts , like it's fun for people to learn how to cast spells and they never do any talking about jesus in the story . You are right tho it's just a fairy tale . ohhhhhh gee maybe holly wood will next visit a convention and make a movie out of that . Yikes . BTW the J-dubs are not the only paranoid cult in the world either , the baptist and catholic churches both sare in the overly distraught about deeeeeeeeeemonnnnnnnnnnnzzzzzzzzzzzz class . catholics even perform exorcism on alleged victims of demonic possession .

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

This thread is hilarious. Reminds me of all the wack jobs in my old hall that were always having 'demon attacks'. This one loser would talk about it every time I saw him. I did'nt believe a word of any of it, even then. If I had a quarter for every floating cd or jittering utensil story I heard I would be a millionaire.

The most retarded story though by far is the story of the "Divine Warning Memorial". A few old freinds of mine said that they had gone to a memorial about fifteen years ago, and the speaker was known to have been starting 'divisions' in the congregation. Half way through his memorial speach the lights flickered and went out for maybe five seconds. A month later the speaker was disfellowshipped as an 'apostate'. According to every witness at the mem, this flickering was a divine warning from Jah to watch out for this evil man.

I asked about the weather conditions that night. They said it was pouring. I said "Don't you think it could have been just a brownout". They conceded that it could have been but said that it was too much of a coincidence that a brownout would happen during a memorial. I asked if any surrounding businesses or houses lost power at all. Indeed they had. I could not believe how stupid of an conversation this was becoming. I said "Why do you think God would flicker lights at a memorial but still allow horrible things to happen to people." They said that "Time and unforseen occurence affects us all." It just went on and on. The ignorance is astounding.

GBL

• myelaine
    myelaine

He suggests that it is focus and intent that creates the problem and opens portals.

I agree with El Blanko's friend.

michelle

• doogie
    doogie

there were times when i was young that i would basically beg the evil powers that be to show themselves. nothin happened. i'd lay on my bed listening to the most likely to be demonic music i had (at the time, superunknown) and just wait. nothing. ever. and i was hoping to see something. even if there are demons out there, they are apparently completely flaccid.

awhile ago, my mom asked if i ever had those nagging doubts that the witnesses were right. i said that i was told that when i left, my life would go straight to hell (so to speak), nothing would go right and i would probably be bothered by demons. i told her that after i left, my life was great, my job couldn't be better, i'm healthier mentally than ever before. i waited for the demons to make an appearance but they never came (it was supposed to be a metaphor for my life not going in the crapper). she just said, "how do you KNOW they didn't come?" i just laughed. if i can't see something, can't tell when it is or isn't there, and has no ill effect on my life, than i'm not going to worry about it too much.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I remember all the demon mumbo-jumbo seems like it got really bad in the 80's and tapered off in the 90's I dont' remember anything about it in the last few years before I split must have gotten tired of seeming like fruitcakes to everyone else so they toned it down...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit