Papal ceremony fairly ludicrous for Christians?

by Qcmbr 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kls
    kls

All i can say is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THANK GODDNESS HE IS IN THE GROUND,,,,,he was getting nasty looking.Bet he was stanky to.

• heathen
    heathen

Has anybody seen penwell , I think God smote him down .............. LOL

I guess the president went to show he was a supporter of the pope the US being the leading democracy and all . One of the things that did cheese me was how the pope tried to use his influence in american politics by trying to persuade GW on issues about abortion and stem cell research . I also couldn't believe when the pope tried to sway our elections by condemning John Kerry for his non active stance on those issues , now we are stuck 4 more years with a complete ninkompoop .

• upside/down
    upside/down

I wonder how many third world die hard RC that can't even feed their progeny's contributions it took just to pay for this shin dig?

If the WTS is just a publishing company disguised as a religion... what is the RC church?

The RCC is what the WTS wishes it was...

u/d ( of the 1billion widows mites add up class)

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

GW BUSH IS ACONSERVATIVE AND SO WAS THE POPE THEY ARE KINDRED SPIRITS

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

One thing the Pope did disagree with Bush on was the war in Iraq. That was one thing I had to agree with the Pope on.

Will

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

LT

...even if I do wonder how a high profile character from a Reformed Protestant tradition (Bush) could attend the funeral of the Roman Pontiff. Each to their own and power to their elbow, I say.

I'm scrathing my head at that too.

What's the saying? Strange bed fellows?

D Dog

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

QC perhaps you've never looked in the Old Testament, where opulence is encouraged in the worship of God and in liturgical rites.

Just check out passages like Ex. 25 and 37. Try reading the glory of heaven in Revelation. The point of Catholic and Orthodox worship is to worship the glory of God. The opulence and rituals are meant to reflect the glory of God. We don't try to worship God on our own earthly terms.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Hi all,

Right had a good nights sleep and thought I'd respond.

Thanks for being kind to me - I always have that small feeling of trepidation when I do put something up that is a little divisive - I don't want to hurt anyone (one of my pet peeves is personalising criticism etc..) so like I said I don't know enough about the Pope to say that he's at fault but I know enough about myself to say I am often a grade 'A' wally. I just don't find the pomp teaches me anything useful..except that the Catholic church is well loaded (which isn't a ctiticism - I think money rocks)

You know that feeling you get when you see people given great power and responsibility and you really want them to genuinely care, not get above themselves etc.. for example Nelson Mandela (handled it very well), but then you somehow feel they just caved in and didn't actually deliver (like most politicians and some religious leaders)and you feel a bit let down. That's how I feel when I see all the grandeur and what I really want is less incense and rehearsed prayers and more hats doffed, bended knee style humility...

As for LDS pomp and ceremony yea we do have it but it is behind closed doors of the Temple and for anyone whose been to the temple (nobody here I presume?) there are some key points about it that you could corroborate (and I hope no one takes this for preaching this is just simple info!):

1/ Everyone wears white in the temple - money, education, size of house etc.. is left at the door - I like how there is no class, politics or division and except for the temple president (whose in charge but is rarely seen) no heirarchy or anything. Great leveller.
    2/ Everyone whispers or talks quietly so it gives a very reverent feel to the place.
    3/ The actual ceremonies are very personal (not for show) , a little weird but the weirdness is actually explained, fairly quick and very Christ centered.
    4/ The Temples themselves are built to a very expensive standard because: They are meant to last for as long as possible (no we don't believe they get magic protection despite what some LDS may say) and they are meant to be places where Jesus can literally come and talk to ppl (we argue that the original purpose of the Mosaic temple would have been to reveal God to the House of Israel 'cept they worshipped that gold calf.) The temple is an earthly representation of the Celestial Kingdom , Terrestrial Kingdom, and Telestial Kingdom - three major divisions of Heaven - so it has to look good. Bit of a bummer if the Celestial kingdom was bare poured concrete with loose wires etc..
    5/ Our ceremonies do the following in LDS land -

Baptism for the Dead where all of mankind has to be baptised(finsh it during the Millenium) - they can of course reject it just as Christ died for us and we can reject Him.

Sealing of marriages for eternity (only one marriage per person at one time hehehe).

Sealing of families for eternity.

The endowment - our receiving of the 'new name' and instruction on the cruxifiction , creation , purpose of life and the making of additional covenants with God complete with signs and tokens to remember them (analogous to baptism being a sign and token for outward show)

Washings and anointings - preparatory work to the endowment.

At the end of the day each of these things is related to our belief in Jesus - is very very private and isn't actually all that full of pomp (only the W & A and Endowment have any real ceremony)

:)

Have a great day everyone - I gotta go in the garden and mow that sucker.

• avishai
    avishai

OK, you've just explained WHY you have pomp and ceremony. Not why you don't. Something I'm sure the catholics cluld do just as well as you. Justifiation, pal.

• Ring Wielder
    Ring Wielder

What got to me was the commentary from priests and nuns and the like in the TV studios..

'Theres a tradition that anyone who dies within 8 days of Easter (i think it was) flies to heaven on the back of the risen Christ' What????????!!!!

'This kind, caring, gentle, smiling face of one of the most saintly of men'...pass the sick bag. Was he so caring about all the paedophile priests victims....

If you read the book 'In God's Name by David Yallop, @ 1984.....you get a bit of a different perspective on this 'wonderful' man, what he allowed and knew about that was taking place in the Catholic Church.

Ive no doubt he did some good things in his life...he has been accredited with being highly instrumental in the fall of communism for instance....but to be revered like some sort of GOD...it is nauseating.

Watching those world leaders, bored out of their heads..though trying not to look it....oh alright, Bush did and didnt care..or wasnt aware I got the feeling that it was just one big irritant as they had plenty of more important things they could do on a friday...maybe get married for instance

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit