Papal ceremony fairly ludicrous for Christians?

by Qcmbr 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Avishai - gotta say I recognise that one of my weaker points is to pick holes and then suggest smugly that I got something cool - however , I also hope that everyone can see that I'm more than willing to stick my head up above the parapet and let everyone get a good shot in - and I don't get upset when people don't give a fig for anything I gotta say.

One thing I try to do is to give clear unvarnished matter of fact - facts on what one very minor religion believes , sprinkled with dollops of my views but also not hiding anything that's dodgy or trying to paint a rosy picture of LDS world. In fact I'm surprised I haven't had more people really have a go at some of my thoughts - and really I don't mind if people do. I like it here - I like to read the vast and wide opinions! Right , he says putting on his tin helmet, time to get back in the bunker - night from Blighty.

• IronGland
    IronGland
    I cannot get away from the fact that the pomp and ceremony of the Catholic church (including the regalia) is so far away from the humble woodcarvers son and his example.

I bet they dont have seer stones to read tablets from the inside of a hat either!

• under74
    under74

I'm not catholic or even religious but the pope's going out the way I'd like to--REAL BIG with all the frills--except I also want there to be an open bar for after the big ceremony.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Q:
    I'm still waiting for a reply from you:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/87693/1.ashx

Avishai nailed ya with that one. You know fine well that LDS have their own traditions, ritual and costume, especially in connection with the Temple. Don't even get me started with the "baptism for the dead" stuff. What's the big difference between all of the above and the Pope's funeral?

Personally I have respect for the fact that some folks like biscuits with their tea and ritual with their worship.
    Living in the heartland of Calvinist-Presbyterian spartan worship, I don't get to see it too often. It makes an interesting change...

...even if I do wonder how a high profile character from a Reformed Protestant tradition (Bush) could attend the funeral of the Roman Pontiff. Each to their own and power to their elbow, I say.

• avishai
    avishai
    Avishai - gotta say I recognise that one of my weaker points is to pick holes and then suggest smugly that I got something cool - however , I also hope that everyone can see that I'm more than willing to stick my head up above the parapet and let everyone get a good shot in

HAHAHAHAHAHAH. OK, I gotta give you a high five for that one, cucumber. I'd offer you a beer but I'm assuming your not a Jack-mormon?

Or do you use that phrase in the UK?

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    I watched a few minutes of the popes funeral and I had to turn over becasue I felt nauseated.

Oh pleeeeze. Why did you even watch it? What did you expect, a simple graveside service for 5 million attendees?

Can't people accept other people believe different than they without such direct criticism....scheesch.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Defantely a bunch of BS for a group of ignorant people that believe in a bunch of hog wash. Makes me want to vomit to.

If the Pope be so high and mighty may I be struck dead this instant.

Will

• bebu
    bebu
    Defantely a bunch of BS for a group of ignorant people that believe in a bunch of hog wash. Makes me want to vomit to.

Yeah, I agree. And don't get me started on the Catholics...

bebu

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Well I love pomp and ceromony- so even when the Queen Mother in the UK died it was a great occasion = just because JWs do not do ceremonial does not make it wrong

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Well I love pomp and ceromony- so even when the Queen Mother in the UK died it was a great occasion = just because JWs do not do ceremonial does not make it wrong

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit