Can't get this out of my system

by cheeseman 15 Replies latest jw friends

• cheeseman
    cheeseman

Does anyone else here feel that that they are kinda obsessed with all this God/Satan malarky? I mean, I've reached a point where I believe the bible is just a storybook, however, the fact I was lied to all that time by the WTS just makes my blood boil. I feel like screaming. I think about exposing all the lies and hypocrisy of the WTS day and night, over and over, until it completely takes over my life. I want to find every error that exists in the bible. I feel I have nothing better to do than to arm myself with as much info as possible to shoot down the dubs who come to my door. Does this sound obsessive?

I want to enjoy life, but I feel as if I have some kind of mega-mission. I hope these feeling pass, as I can't do anything at the moment except think about it all the time. It's ruining my enjoyment of life.

Does anyone else feel like this?

• xjwms
    xjwms

I felt like you

Go to my POST HISTORY. ..... Click on: THIS HELPED ME (I missed spelled opionions)

The story had a big impact on me.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Does anyone else here feel that that they are kinda obsessed with all this God/Satan malarky? I mean, I've reached a point where I believe the bible is just a storybook, however, the fact I was lied to all that time by the WTS just makes my blood boil. I feel like screaming. I think about exposing all the lies and hypocrisy of the WTS day and night, over and over, until it completely takes over my life. I want to find every error that exists in the bible. I feel I have nothing better to do than to arm myself with as much info as possible to shoot down the dubs who come to my door. Does this sound obsessive?

I want to enjoy life, but I feel as if I have some kind of mega-mission. I hope these feeling pass, as I can't do anything at the moment except think about it all the time. It's ruining my enjoyment of life.

Does anyone else feel like this?

Being blunt cheesman this does sound slightly obssessive but completely and utterly understandable and feelings which i think a great deal many on here will sympathise with. Your comment in the latter part of your post however is poignant in that if these feelings are ruining your life then this clearly isnt constructive and things must change.

Try looking into areas where you can channel these feelings into something more positive; the dubs at your door do not have to be answered and do not have to be listened to...ignore them...

Heres to hoping you move on matey!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Hey Cheese,

Yeah, I went through that, too. And I still do sometimes. You almost get this "I owe it to my fellow man to warn them about this cult" sort of mentality, like you'd feel if you got scammed real good by some general contractor. "Never use Bob's Painting!" you'd want to shout from your rooftop, "He's a scam artist!"

I believe this will pass. You start to back up and see that there are Watchtower-like scams everywhere. Most people don't fall for all of them, but everybody falls for some of them. The "emergency" mode shuts down and you start living not as an ex-JW, but as a human. I'm not there yet, but there are others here that seem to be.

Consider that all the time you were a JW, you believed you HAD to tell everybody about what you had learned, this great gospel of truth. Now you know it's not the truth, but the old "tell everybody" habit is still there.

Give it time. If it helps, write up a concise rebuttal of your favorite wrong doctrine and post it on the web. Or write up a short summary of the UN scandal and why it matters. Even after your blood is no longer boiling, those files on the internet may yet help someone else escape, or never join in the first place.

Dave

• trevor
    trevor

Hi Cheese man

It doesn?t just happen with religion but in any area of expertise that involves helping people. When we first find that we have knowledge that can change peoples lives for the better we feel an urge to save all people within reach. Almost as if it is a duty thing but it can also involve the ego and involve a desire to impress others with our new found skills or knowledge that has given us a new power.

It passes in time and is replaced with a dispassionate but lingering interest to help others. It when we reach this stage that we are in the best position to help.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Patience Yago!

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

Yes I do. It's the anger part of the reconciliation process. Realising the anger is another result of my conditioning in the org helped silence it for me. Unless we're in an exceptional circumstance there's little we can do to to effect the org. This is frustrating but stewing on it benefits no one. Be as best prepared as you can be to face witnesses and have a strategy. After that leave it be and get on enjoying your life, don't let them effect you once your out.

• trevor
    trevor

Repeated post - sorry

• Undecided
    Undecided

I never have felt this way since I was never shunned or hurt by the borg. I left because I just felt I wanted to and my life would be better. I married a worldly woman after my JW wife divorced me and have been happy ever since.

Ken P.

• love11
    love11

I used to feel this way for years after my dis-f. I used to look up the Greek and Hebrew words and act like I was a theologian. Now I've realized that it's all a fairy tale so the idea of disproving it seems shallow. If people want to believe in it, then maybe they need that belief in their life. I still believe in Santa! And nobody can tell me any different. There is too a Santa! hehehe

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit