is religon-bashing ok, and if yes, when?

by googlemagoogle 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Spook
    Spook

Argument produces argument. Attacking produces defending. Truth produces Heresy.

Apostasy strengthens theocracy. Any effective conversation must encorporate an ecological paradigm to have access to transforming.

There is nothing "wrong" with religion bashing. It's something that has been around a long time. We have the results from it that we have. My question would be: Do the results inspire me?

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

Yes. Anytime.

cheeses. the name says it all.

• gumby
    gumby

Cyborgvision ,.....good point!

If it wasn't for criticism and critical thinking about religion we'd still have some form of inquisition today.

"Bashing" needs to be done when a religion becomes harmful to others in extreme measures.

As an example.....Christianity in general gives one a freedom to attend any church one wishes to......as long as it's Christian based. If it is not christian based, other christians view it as pagan. This is the extent it usually goes with christianity......if you don't accept christ as your savior....you'll burn.

With the witnesses......if one chooses to attend a church of another faith...even if it's christian, ....they are shunned by family and friends unless they return to their faith.

One faith allows for greater freedom and tolerence....while the other is like dictatorship with zero tolerance.

As for bashing.........christianity sure had it's share in bashing ( in the past ), when it literally stamped out all other faiths through-out history.....to the point of exterminating any who didn't subscribe to it.

Gumby

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    As for bashing.........christianity sure had it's share in bashing ( in the past ), when it literally stamped out all other faiths through-out history.....to the point of exterminating any who didn't subscribe to it.

I agree it did...didnt make it right though.

• gumby
    gumby
    I agree it did...didnt make it right though.

Your right....it did not make it right.

It's intresting when we talk of bashing isn't it? One only needs to read ANY Watchtower or Awake! and see the bashing they do to other faiths.....and basically everyone else on the planet who aren't Witnesses. Witnesses who read this board feel they are being needlessly bashed here.......yet their own magazines are literally FULL of bashing anyone not one of them.

Christianity in modern times performs passive bashing in their churches. Preachers constantly bash other faiths that aeren't in line with their way of thinking.......but they AT LEAST feel others have hope and will be judged by god. ( most I know of do anyway ).

Gumby

• trevor
    trevor

JWS out in the field service

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

I think we are realy talking about truth. People are too thin skinned today, we like others to do our thinking for us. I enjoy a challenge to my faith. If someone has believed a lie, wouldn't you think the caring thing to do is tell them. If I have believed a lie I hope someone cares enough to tell me. I think it is only bashing when you are just trying to hurt people, with no thought of helping them.

D Dog

• rebel8
    rebel8
    This is the extent it usually goes with christianity......if you don't accept christ as your savior....you'll burn.

Not to start a debate or anything, but I don?t believe that statement is true.

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/39/story_3960_1.html

A few snips from the Catechism of the Roman Catholic Church as an example:

? The Jewish faith, unlike other non-Christian religions, is already a response to God's revelation in the Old Covenant?.And when one considers the future, God's People of the Old Covenant and the new People of God tend towards similar goals??

? The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day."

?The Church's bond with non-Christian religions is in the first place the common origin and end of the human race??

?The Catholic Church recognizes in other religions that search, among shadows and images, for the God who is unknown yet near since he gives life and breath and all things and wants all men to be saved. Thus, the Church considers all goodness and truth found in these religions??

The text goes on to say that they believe their own religion to be best, but do recognize there are other paths to God.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

If it is ok for a religion to teach that I will be destroyed or tormented for all eternity for NOT being in that religion, then I see no reason why I cannot make my own comments about said religion or its members.

• mnb77
    mnb77

I cannot say i necessarily respect the religion, because in my study they are all fuelled by the devil himself. People don't want to follow him, so they made up their own version of what is going on.

Islam- started by muhamad, buddhism- stemmed off of the pagan worship of a husband/wife and their son reflecting the seasons and their changes and the polytheistic view points, satanism- any thing done with direct knowledge of acting against God, catholicism- done through the traditions and leadership of the pope/cardinals/fathers..., wicca- orginating in the bible times as a spiritualistic thing, jewish- man made name for the isrealites as a group as they followed God, Christians- name to show the leader of the group and follow his teachings. JW- russell and his adventist friends needed to change things to relfect what they wanted to see and believe.

to respect a religion- firist see the flaw and move from there.....

sorry tooooo many thougths running through my head on this one....

just see and believe the bible- god inspired man written word

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit