Witness School

by loosie 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I never heard of witness schools either but my parents would probably not have let me go there either. I was taught at home 12 hours a day, no one to talk to except myself - mostly I quite liked it though. Don't think it was good for me socially, but educationally it was good. My parents pushed me far harder than any teachers - I could read quite well at 3 in between breast feedings!

• AshtonCA
    AshtonCA
    I could read quite well at 3 in between breast feedings!

lol You sound like my brothers and I, except for the breastfeeding part lol Mom didn't breastfeed us, especially me, since I was adopted lol, well she tried with my 3 brothers, but gave up early on.

Anyway, all 3 of my brothers read between 2 and 3. My oldest brother was reading shakespear at 4. He could read the bible no problem. We were all homeschooled and very sheltered. I suffer from it today. I'm almost a shut in with no friends to speak of, and now that my mom has decided to shun me, even though she supposedly left the org 10 years ago, I'm now really a shut in with no one. She did this to me and now she won't speak to me either.

Oops got sidetracked, sorry.

Our oldest is now 11 and we finally put him in public school recently. I homeschooled him all this time until I just couldn't do it anymore. The reason I even attempted homeschooling was pressure from my mother who said worldly associations will not be good for him, so teach him at home. Plus I wanted to please her so I did it. Our son has had a very good education, but he is a bit behind. They are assessing him right now to see how we can get him back up into his own age group.

I definitely will not do this with our baby. When he's old enough to go to school, we will be putting him in public school right away. I will still teach him to read and such before he gets to public school, but I'm not going to do 11 years worth like I did with our first.

Ash

• pratt1
    pratt1

There was a witless school in Queens, NY. I knew the owner of the school quite well ( well I knew his daughter quite well.) I don't think the students did any better than the average public school student academically, but I am sure that they were far behind socially.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Witness school? I never knew there was such a thing! Is that a west coast phoenomenom? Here in the east......as active and pro JW as I was at one time, I still never heard about this.

Talk about "arrested development"!

But 20 years ago, who knows? We might have sent our kid to one if there was such a thing in this area.

Lordy, lordy............I can only imagine how messed up and non-functional my kid would be today if that would have happened.

HappyDad

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Talk about "arrested development"!

But 20 years ago, who knows? We might have sent our kid to one if there was such a thing in this area.

Lordy, lordy............I can only imagine how messed up and non-functional my kid would be today if that would have happened.

You are so right there HD.

My g/f is a teacher...and she teaches in an inner city school with kids in various forms of depravation but the kids manage (for the most part) to make the grades and they are taught an extensive curriculum. In her opinion private schools which are not included in national statistics for educational achievements are extremely dangerous to children as they are not getting the right balance of academic teaching. I suspect that this is the same for JW schools...after all the one referenced above makes no mention of learning objectives and teaching quality...I would even hazard a guess to suggest that the teachers at that school are not as well qualified as those at other state and private schools...makes me sick to be honest.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

DB - glad to hear someone responsible and aware is a teacher like your gf.

I just noticed your profile says you are from lancashire? I'm sure it didn;t say that before. I was born in Lancashire - should have been merseyside however my mum was a weird blood group, had hepatitis and was about to give birth with me and they refused to let her give birth at the local hospital because of the blood issue so I was rushed to Ormskirk. Know it?

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

Witness schools were vehemently condemned by the elders in our locality. They said that interaction with non witneses would strengthen a youth's resolve. They said that going to an all witness was a cop out and that only worldly witnesses would go to one.

• lilbit
    lilbit
    I looked over the new system school website and don't quite get it. It looks like if you join you're just homeschooling your children. There isn't a building or anything that you send them to. It looks like you send $125 bucks in but I can't see what you get back. Perhaps a list of required textbooks? It seems really lame to me. Parents could go to the home schooling legal defense fund website themselves and get as much information without paying nss a dime.

Listener I had noticed the same thing... there was something like this when I was a teenager I was homeschooled and there was a group that organized field trips for homeschooled JWs. I think my mom paid dues to be a part of that too.

• claytoncapeletti
    claytoncapeletti

I went to a Witness school in South Florida called " Agapa". I went for Kindergarden there for a few months but then my mom pulled me out and threatned to kill one of the teachers (elders wife). The teacher grapped my arm and dug her nails into my arms. When my mom came and picked me up she saw the marks on my arm and went crazy. My mom was only studying at the time and wasnt filled with Holy Spirt yet :-). It's actually one of if not my earliest memory. To bad we didnt realized then how crazy the borg was it could of saved us some years.

Clayton

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3
    The one I knew of was in San Jose. I forget the name of it, but would certainly remember if I heard the name.

I believe that was De Young School.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit