Please Please PLEASE post some words of encouragement to my JW friend......

by PAJA 39 Replies latest jw friends

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Paja

There are answers to this question on a newer thread. Its title is

"urgent bible help needed for a friend on another thread"

Hope it helps.

• PAJA
    PAJA

Thanks jaffacake for the help with that.

And thanks to all who have helped so far!
    The help has been awsome and I cant thank you all enough, all I ask is that you keep checking back here over the next few days and maybe send a prayer or two her way. I plan on putting this all togeather and giving it to her, so I no doubt will have more questions.

After she told me that she cant marry me because I'm not JW she sent me several texts explaining why the bible says she cant (with the verses)
    I posted above the texts about not marrying "outside" their faith and the text about "just having faith" not being enough.

And then I recived a 3rd text, I got these all today so these took her 3 days to do, my guess is that she was given this stuff by others with "explinations" as to why she is not a good JW. I am planning on asking if she was pulled in for a "counceling" or whatever they call it, Im sure she was. I bet in the meeting tonight & tomorrow they will have some choice things to say!

Here is the 3rd text I recived today:
    "I believe there is only one way or one religion"
    Matthew 7:13-14;21-23
    Romans 10:2,3

They read as follows:

Matthew 7:13-14
    13 ?Go in through the narrow gate; because broad and spacious is the road leading off into destruction, and many are the ones going in through it; 14 whereas narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are the ones finding it."

Matthew 7:21-23
    21 ?Not everyone saying to me, ?Lord, Lord,? will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day, ?Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?? 23 And yet then I will confess to them: I never knew YOU! Get away from me, YOU workers of lawlessness.

Romans 10:2-3
    2 For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God; but not according to accurate knowledge; 3 for, because of not knowing the righteousness of God but seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God.

Notice how with Romans, she only quoted vs2-3?
    Gee I wonder why 4 was not quoted as well?

Romans 10:4
    4 For Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have righteousness.

ANYONE HAVE SOME VERSES I CAN USE WITH THE ABOVE?

I love this woman more than I ever thought I could love another, she has an awsome spirit and heart! But the more I see what these BASTARDS have done to her.....the more I want to cry! Not just because of my love for her, but because how they are ruining someone so beautiful that God created!

• Mary
    Mary
    Matthew 7:13-14
    Go in through the narrow gate; because broad and spacious is the road leading off into destruction, and many are the ones going in through it; whereas narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are the ones finding

Ah yes, the Witnesses just LOVE to use this scripture to "prove" that there is only one true religion:

*** jt p. 29 Questions Often Asked by Interested People ***Jesus did not agree with the modern, relaxed view that there are many roads, many religions, all leading to salvation. Instead, he said: "Narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are the ones finding it." Jehovah?s Witnesses believe that they have found it. Otherwise, they would look for another religion.?Matthew 7:14.

This scripture only mentions two roads. If we use their reasoning and agree that the "cramped road" leading off to life represents only ONE religion, then this would also mean that the "broad road" that leads to destruction is also only ONE religion. Yet Witnesses teach that this broad road means MANY religions. You can't have it both ways. Either both roads refer to only ONE religion, or both roads both refer to MANY religions.

Ask your girlfriend THAT question----it'll make her and whoever's giving her the answers, stop and think. And in actuality, the above scripture says NOTHING about either of these roads referring to belonging a religion---it's the character of the person that will be judged, not by what religion they belong to.

Here's another nice scripture you can show her:

*** Rbi8 Mark 9:38-40 ***John said to him: "Teacher, we saw a certain man expelling demons by the use of your name and we tried to prevent him, because he was not accompanying us." 39 But Jesus said: "Do not try to prevent him, for there is no one that will do a powerful work on the basis of my name that will quickly be able to revile me; 40 for he that is not against us is for us.

So Jesus Himself never made the claim that every person that received his approval had to be a full time follower of His. And as for the other scriptures she quoted you? Not one of them say that there is only "one true religion", the terms each of these scriptures use is very general. But just as a side note, I think the scripture in Matthew 7:21 could hit pretty close to home. Jehovah's Witnesses have been prophecying in Jesus' name for the last 130 years. They've made several claims that He had "returned", which were all lies. So how do the Witnesses know that this scripture is not fortelling their doom come Judgement Day?

• hooberus
  • Sunspot
    Sunspot

Dear Cynthia,

Right now you are breaking your own heart and the heart of the man who deeply loves you. Yet another sad case of the Watchtower's tactics to keep its clutches around your loving heart while attempting to make JWs feel superior to anyone else.

The Organization goes out of its way to keep JWs in a FOG----

F--The FEAR of not obeying the men in Brooklyn who claim to be God's Chosen but have never actually proven it.

O--The OBLIGATION placed upon your shoulders at baptism......to always go along with whatever the GB decides is "accurate knowledge"---until they are shown to be in error, and they change doctrines---again.

G--The GUILT that is constantly forced upon all JWs who are told they aren't doing enough, not praying enough, not being in FS enough, not being at all the meetings enough, turning their time slips in too late, not donating enough $$$, and cleaning the KH enough, etc.

Whatever happened to the Two Laws that JESUS said were THE most important? The Watchtower has deviated WAYYYY beyond what Jesus taught and stood for (and died for) and have placed themselves in his place.

The WTS is far more like the Pharisees than any Christians. There IS no "kindly" yoke, but a lifetime of made-up rules, policies, and heavy burdens placed on the backs of JWs, none of which are "following" Jesus at all.

PLEASE give this some thought, and don't throw away a beautiful opportunity to find happiness just yet.

I was a loyal sister for thirty years, so I'm not just saying these things off the top of my head. I left of my own accord as I saw the hypocrisy and cover-ups of the WTS as they bashed every other religion on earth. I am SO sorry that I followed the WTS for so long---and should have paid attention to the admonition NOT to put MY TRUST in human nobles......nor should you.

hugs,

Annie

• Frog
    Frog

Hi there Paja, your situation must be a very turbulent one for you. But at the end of the day you will not be able to help Cynthia through the process she has to go through to leave the org, if that is in fact what she decides to do. My question if for you really, even if Cynthis does concent to marry you, these backflips and about turns are only just the begining, how long do you think you will be able to deal with these inconsistencies? I know you're probably feeling euphoricly in love now, and I don't question the love you have for her, but leaving the JW has a definite way of changing a person, a way of helping that person to "realise" so many things about themselves that they were once repressing. I realise that this must be incredibly difficult for you to hear. But you may have had the benefit of a balanced life's education, but Cynthia has not. When the world starts to open up to her she will experience and ways of thinking she has never experienced before. So if she is making you feel insecure now, then I can only imagine that it will get much worse for you as time goes on. It is your decision, and it's hard to think in the long-term when we're so much in love, but for your own sake you have to.

My personal experience is one where I was very much in love with a man I had a deep connection with. We got together at about the time I decided to gradually leave the JW-org. I loved him very much, and he me, he was inspired by my strength at the time and helped me tremendously, I owe a lot to him I feel. But afte 18months of leaving the faith I did a complete backflip, I completely freaked out about world conditions and had a bit of a breakdown and felt like running back to the JW-org was the only way that I would be able to get mental peace again. So just overnight the beautiful relationship I had ended, my JW conscience was killing me, and I couldn't handle the relationship anymore. I cannot tell you how much after I recovered from that relapse just how much I cruisified myself for making that choice. Was 2 years ago now, and I still regret it, but I've moved on with life.

I wish you and Cynthia all the best. And remember that relationships can be temporary, but true and meaningful friendships can last forever. True friends don't put pressure on friends to make truly difficult decisions, they support them through a hard time. Your intentions are good and pure, and I don't envy the situation you are in, I know how painful it can be.

Take care of yourself, and please keep us updated luv from froglett xox

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

The

Where is this one true Church? What is this one true Church like? What are the marks by which this one true Church may be known? You may well ask such questions. The one true Church is composed of all believers in the Lord Jesus. It is made up of all God's elect - of all converted men and women - of all true Christians. In whomsoever we can discern the election of God the Father, the sprinkling of the blood of His Son, the sanctifying work of God?s Holy Spirit, in that person we see a member of Christ's true Church.

It is a Church in which all the members have the same marks. They are all born again of the Spirit: they all possess "repentance towards God, faith towards our Lord Jesus Christ", and holiness of life and conversation. They all hate sin, and they all love Christ. They worship differently, and after various fashions; some worship with a form of prayer, and some with none; some worship kneeling, and some standing; but they all worship with one heart. They are all led by one Spirit; they all build upon one foundation; they all draw their religion from one single book - that is the Bible. They are all joined to one great centre - that is Jesus Christ. They all, even now, can say with one heart, "Hallelujah" (Praise Yah ? shortened form of Yahweh); and they can all respond with one heart and voice, "Amen and Amen".

It is a Church which is dependent upon no ministers upon earth, however much it values those who preach the Gospel to its members. The life of its members does not hang upon Church membership, and Baptism, and the Lord's Supper - although they highly value these things, when they are to be had. But it has only one Great Head - one Shepherd, one chief Bishop - and that is Jesus Christ. He alone, by His Spirit, admits the members of this Church, though ministers may show the door. Till He opens the door no man on earth can open it - neither bishops nor presbyters, nor convocations, nor synods. Once let a man repent and believe the Gospel, and that moment he becomes a member of this Church. Like the penitent thief, he may have no opportunity of being baptised; but he has that which is far better than any water-baptism - the baptism of the Spirit. He may not be able to receive the bread and wine in the Lord's Supper; but he eats Christ's body and drinks Christ's blood by faith every day he lives, and no minister on earth can prevent him. He may be excommunicated by ordained men, and cut off from the outward ordinances of the professing Church; but all the ordained men in the world cannot shut him out of the true Church. It is a Church whose existence does not depend on forms, ceremonies, cathedrals, churches, chapels, pulpits, fonts, vestments, organs, endowments, money, kings, governments, magistrates, or any act of favour whatsoever from the hand of man. It has often lived on and continued when all these things have been taken from it; it has often been driven into the wilderness or into dens and caves of the earth, by those who ought to have been its friends. Its existence depends on nothing but the presence of Christ and Spirit, and they being ever with it, the Church cannot die.

This is the Church to which the Scriptural titles of present honour and privilege, and the promises of future glory especially belong; this is the body of Christ; this is the Bride; this is the Lamb's Wife; this is the flock of Christ; this is the household of faith and the family of God, this is God's building, God's foundation, and the temple of the Holy Ghost. This is the Church of the first-born, whose names are written in heaven; this is the royal priesthood, the chosen generation, the peculiar people, the purchased possession, the habitation of God, the light of the world, the salt and the wheat of the earth; this is that Church to which the Lord Jesus promises "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it", and to which He says, "I am with you always, even unto the end of the world". (Matt. 16:18; 28:20).

This is the only Church which possesses true unity. Its members are entirely agreed on all the weightier matters of Christianity, for they are all taught by one Spirit, About God, and Christ, and the Spirit, and sin, and their own hearts, and faith, and repentance and the necessity of holiness, and the value of the Bible, and the importance of prayer, and the resurrection, and judgment to come - about all these points they are of one mind. Take three or four of them, strangers to one another, from the remotest corners of the earth; examine them separately on these points; you will find them all of one judgment.

This is the only Church which possesses true sanctity. Its members are all holy. They are not merely holy by profession, holy in name, and holy in the judgment of charity; they are all holy in act, and deed, and reality, and life, and truth. They are all more or less conformed to the image of Jesus Christ. No unholy man belongs to this Church.

This is the only Church which is truly universal. It is not the Church of any one nation or people: its members are to be found in every part of the world where the Gospel is received and believed. It is not contained within the limits of any one country, or pent up within the pale of any particular forms or outward government. In it there is no difference between Jew and Greek, black man and white, Episcopalian and Presbyterian - but faith in Christ is all. Its members will be gathered from north, and south, and east, and west, in the last day, and will be of every name and tongue - but all one in Jesus Christ.

This is the only Church which is truly apostolic. It is built on the foundation laid by the Apostles, and holds the doctrines which they preached. The two grand objects at which its members aim, are apostolic faith and apostolic practice; and they consider the man who talks of following the Apostles without possessing these two things to be no better than sounding brass and a tinkling cymbal.

This is the only Church which is certain to endure unto the end. Nothing can altogether overthrow and destroy it. Its members may be persecuted, oppressed, imprisoned, beaten, beheaded, burned; but the true church is never altogether extinguished; it rises again from its afflictions; it lives on through fire and water. When crushed in one land it springs up in another.

The Pharaohs, the Herods, the Neros, the Bloody Marys, have laboured in vain to put down this church: they slay their thousands, and then pass away and go to their place. The true Church outlives them all and sees them buried each in their turn. It is an anvil that has broken many a hammer in this world, and will break many a hammer still; it is a bush which is always burning and yet is not consumed.

This is the only Church of which no one member can perish. Once enrolled in the lists of this Church, sinners are safe for eternity; they are never cast away. The election of God the Father, the continual intercession of His Son, the Christ, the daily renewing and sanctifying power of God?s Holy Ghost, surround and fence them in like a garden enclosed. Not one bone of Christ's mystical body shall ever be broken; not one lamb of Christ's flock shall ever be plucked out of His hand.

This is the Church which does the work of Christ upon earth. Its members are a little flock, and few in number, compared with the children of the world: one or two here, and two or three there - few in this district and a few in that. But these are they who shake the universe; these are they who change the fortunes of kingdoms by their prayers; these are they who are the active workers for spreading the knowledge of pure religion and undefiled; these are the lifeblood of a country, the shield, the defence, the stay, and the support of any nation to which they belong.

This is the Church which shall be truly glorious at the end. When all earthly glory is passed away then shall this church be presented without spot before God?s throne. Thrones, principalities, and powers upon earth shall come to nothing; dignities and offices, and endowments shall all pass away; but the Church of the first-born shall shine as the stars at the last, and be presented with joy before the Father's throne, in the day of Christ's appearing. When the Lord's jewels are made up, and the manifestation of the sons of God takes place, episcopacy, and presbyterianism, and congregationalism will not be mentioned; one Church only will be named, and that is the Church of the elect.

This is the true Church to which a man must belong, if he would be saved. Till you belong to this, you are nothing better than a lost soul. You may have the form, the husk, the skin, and the shell of religion, but you have not got the substance and the life. Yes; you may have countless outward privileges: you may enjoy great light, and knowledge - but if you do not belong to the body of Christ, your light, and knowledge, and privileges, will not save your soul. Alas, for the ignorance that prevails on this point! Men fancy if they join this Church or that Church, and become communicants, and go through certain forms, that all must be right with their souls. It is an utter delusion: it is a gross mistake. All were not who were called , and all are not members of Christ's body who profess themselves Christians. Take notice, you may be a staunch Episcopalian, or Presbyterian, or Congregationalist, or Baptist, or Methodist, or Plymouth brother - and yet not belong to the true Church. And if you do not, it will be better at the last if you had never been born.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Good news! Good news!

"Behold, the days are coming," declares the Lord, "When I shall raise up for David a righteous Branch; And He will reign as king and act wisely And do justice and righteousness in the land. "In His days

"Anyone who is acquainted with the nature of mankind in general, or his own heart in particular, must acknowledge that self-righteousness is the last idol that is rooted out of the heart: " (George Whitefield, The Lord our Righteousness, p.9)

How can a sinner stand before a righteous and holy God and receive the verdict "Justified. Righteous in the eyes of God." God is a righteous God. He is also the just judge. He does not judge with partiality nor can he overlook any sin. His knowledge about us is perfect and complete. He has known us and everything about us from eternity past. Nothing is hidden from Him. He executes perfect justice from perfect knowledge.

So how can a sinner stand before God, guilty in himself, and receive God's pronouncement of justification? As the creator of heaven and earth and everything that exists, including us, God has decreed that there is only one way of peace with Him. That way is perfect righteousness. Not merely to be without sin, in a sort of neutral state before God. No, not merely without sin, we must possess a perfect righteousness, obeying God perfectly and doing all His will, perfectly.

God's law is his own holy standard. It flows from him and reveals His holy and perfect nature. It is the standard God has established that, by it, true justice will be rendered. It is the keeping of that law perfectly that justifies someone in the sight of our perfect God.

'You are to perform My judgments and keep My statutes, to live in accord with them; I am the Lord your God. 'So you shall keep My statutes and My judgments, by which a man may live if he does them; I am the Lord. (Leviticus 18:4-5, NASB)

"Perform My judgments and keep My statutes, by which a man may live if he does them." There is an explicit blessing here. Keep My law and you will live. But the law is a double-edged knife. It cuts both directions. It holds not only a blessing but also a curse. "Obey this law and live. Break this law and die."

So how can you stand justified before God? Simply knowing that the law exists is not enough. (for not the hearers of the Law are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. Romans 2:13, NASB ) No one reading this meets these qualifications which God requires. No one (except Jesus Christ) has perfectly obeyed God in avoiding sin and in performing righteousness perfectly. All of us have broken God's law. We have sinned against our creator and have violated his holiness by our rebellion against His law. We are at war with God, albeit impotently, but at war nonetheless. In our very natures we have inherited a fatal curse from our fleshly father Adam. We hate God's good commandments and we love sin. We run from the light and leap headlong into darkness.

This is the judgment, that the light is come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light; for their deeds were evil. For everyone who does evil hates the light, and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. (John 3:19-20, NASB)

So how can you, a sinner, stand justified before God?

And behold, a certain lawyer stood up and put Him to the test, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" And He said to him, "What is written in the Law? How does it read to you?" And he answered and said, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself." And He said to him, "You have answered correctly; do this, and you will live." (Luke 10:25-28, NASB)

"Do this and you will live." Keep God's law perfectly, never sin, and always obey Him in everything with all of yourself. Your heart, soul, strength, and mind must be perfectly expended in obedient love to God and to your neighbor. No losing heart in time of trial. No weakness in work. No wandering thoughts leading to sin. Every fiber of your being expended in love for God and this perfectly. "Do this and you will live." This is the perfect and holy law of the perfect and holy God. But is this good news? Did the lawyer who answered the Lord rejoice in this? Did he go away feeling self-righteous, thinking that he certainly had a good standing before God? After all, he was trying his very best to obey these two great commandments.

Note the next verse. (But wishing to justify himself, he said to Jesus, "and who is my neighbor?" John 10:29, NASB) Self-righteousness raises it's ugly head here. "Wishing to justify himself." But note, God's law is not based on "our best efforts" or "our good intentions" to keep it. You really, truly have to keep it! Perfectly! "Do this, and you will live." Not "Try to do this." Not "Give it your best shot." No, one single failure, one disobedient act, one sinful thought, one omission of any kind, one failure is fatal. Yet this expert in the law was "wishing to justify himself."

In case you remain unconvinced let's look at another man "wishing to justify himself" in his own self-righteousness.

And as He [Jesus] was setting out on a journey, a man ran up to Him and knelt before Him, and began asking Him, "Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone. "You know the commandments, 'Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.'" And he said to Him, "Teacher, I have kept all these things from my youth up." And looking at him, Jesus felt a love for him, and said to him, "One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess, and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." But at these words his face fell, and he went away grieved, for he was one who owned much property. (Mark 10:17-22, NASB)

The Lord of the universe rehearsed with this man the requirements of the Law. What is his answer? "I have kept all these things from my youth up." Wrong! He missed it. He didn't get it. His eyes were blind, his heart was cold. He did not hear the Lord that day, but wishing to justify himself, he condemned himself by his own words.

Now I wonder, do you hear the Lord right now? "Do not murder (or be angry with your brother without cause). Do not commit adultery (or look lustfully on another). Do not steal (or envy another). Do not bear false witness (or lie)." Can you even meet the first requirement of the law mentioned here, let alone law upon law upon law?

Don't think that Jesus was giving the man an opportunity to justify himself before God through obeying these laws. The Lord here was not implying that the man had actually followed these nor could he follow them. Jesus was using the law to demonstrate to the rich man his utter sinfulness; his total, complete poverty of any righteousness, and thus His need of a savior. He had broken every one of these commandments (as we all have - either in thought or in deed). But did the man hear? Did he really hear what the Lord said? No, even though he had physical ears and heard Jesus' words, God had not yet given him "eyes to see and ears to hear". No, he thought he had kept these commandments of God. He remained in darkness. Instead of answering "I have broken each of these countless times. How can I find righteousness before God? God, be merciful to me the sinner!" Instead of that kind of answer, he broadcasts his spiritual blindness. "Teacher, I have kept all these from my youth up."

I expect that some of the people reading this are like these men. You wish to justify yourself in the sight of God. Your answer to the Lord would run along the same lines and that answer would miss the mark of God's righteousness to your damnation. Instead of justifying yourself, you condemn yourself by your own words.

If the Lord were to question you now, "Why should I let you into heaven?" Will you venture your answer by starting your sentence with "I...". Or perhaps you would even be bold enough to say, "Lord, I...". You are seeking to justify yourself. You are standing on your own righteousness. To do so, even in part, even in small part, is to be self-righteous and self- condemning. The road to hell starts in your own heart with that one little word "I". I hope and pray that this tiny word leading to an eternity of separation from God would not be found on any of your lips. Oh that the Lord would open your eyes and ears today that you would hear His words and see your condition as it is.

Because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin. (Romans 3:20, NASB)

Are the requirements of God's perfect law good news? To know that perfection is the required standard? Is that the gospel, the "good news"? No it is terrible news. It is the worst news possible for our pride for there is no way that we ourselves can attain to it. No, it is not good news but it leads us to the good news. It is our schoolmaster teaching us, revealing our complete and total lack of hope in saving ourselves. But if perfect righteousness is the requirement, where will we find it? How can you, a sinner, stand justified before a holy and just God?

"What good does it do to me to tell me that the type of religion presented in the Bible is a very fine type of religion and that the thing for me to do is just to start practicing that type of religion now? ... I will tell you, my friend. It does me not one tiniest little bit of good. ... What I need first of all is not exhortation, but a gospel, not directions for saving myself but knowledge of how God has saved me. Have you any good news? That is the question that I ask of you. I know your exhortations will not help me. But if anything has been done to save me, will you not tell me the facts?" (Machen cited in Horton, Trust and Obey, p.40)

"Behold, the days are coming," declares the Lord, "When I shall raise up for David a righteous Branch; And He will reign as king and act wisely And do justice and righteousness in the land. "In His days will be saved, And Israel will dwell securely; And this is His name by which He will be called, 'The Lord our righteousness.' (Jeremiah 23:5-6, NASB)

The Lord our Righteousness!

Brethren, my heart's desire and my prayer to God for them is for their salvation. For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with knowledge. For not knowing about God's righteousness, and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God. (Romans 10:1-3, NASB)

God's righteousness! Not ours, God's!

But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been manifested, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction; for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus; (Romans 3:21-24, NASB)

The righteousness of God! How? Through faith in Jesus Christ. Why? It is a gift by God's grace! Good news, good news! The demand of God's law for perfect righteousness has been met in Jesus Christ, the Lord our Righteousness!

For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. (Romans 8:3-4, NASB)

What the Law could not do, God did! What we cannot do for ourselves, God has done for us. "The Lord our Righteousness." The Lord himself has undertaken to provide the qualifications necessary to meet His own just judgment.

For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes. (Romans 10:4, NASB)

"Justification means more than mere pardon for sin; it means that the justified person is regarded as having kept all God's laws perfectly." (James Buchanan, Not Guilty, p.25)

The Lord our righteousness. Who is this Lord and what does it mean to say he is our righteousness? The Lord is clearly Jesus Christ. How does His righteousness become ours? By God's grace through faith.

But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness, (Romans 4:5, NASB)

We must be careful here in what we understand about this "faith".

"Yet, as we have seen, this obedience of faith is not the righteousness by means of which we are accepted by God. Obedient faith is the means by which we receive Christ's righteousness. Faith is the instrument by which righteousness is procured. Eating is necessary for the nourishment of our bodies, but it is the food we eat that actually nourishes us. Likewise, faith is necessary to receive righteousness but it is the righteousness of Christ which actually justifies us. Faith is the only means for the receiving of justification. Justification is not by faith plus the knowledge that one is among the elect of God. Justification is not by faith plus a certain amount of conviction of sin. True, none will believe unless they are the elect of God and are convicted of their sin and need of a Savior. But it is primarily our faith in God's promise of salvation in Christ for sinners which brings justification, not anything else we may know or feel. The reason why faith alone is the instrument by which we receive justification is that it is by believing -- and in no other way -- that we can rely on Christ's saving work. It is not sorrow for sin that unites us with Christ. It is not the spiritual graces of love and hope which make us partakers of Christ's righteousness. It is by the use of faith that sinners rely on Christ for salvation." (James Buchanan, Not Guilty, p.88)

Or said another way,

"Our faith, however, is not the reason for our justification. Believers are said to be justified by faith, not because of faith. No man has perfect faith. If faith were the reason for justification, them some believers might be justified by a more perfect faith; others by a less perfect faith. Or else, some are more justified than others! All this is absurd. And it makes faith into a way of earning justification. No! The righteousness of God is said to be "revealed ... to faith" (Rom 1:17). Faith therefore cannot be what makes us righteous." (Abraham Booth, By God's Grace Alone, p.39)

What makes us righteous is Christ's righteousness imputed to us, received by faith.

All of life is designed by God for the purpose of glorifying God, including our salvation. "God is the only hero of these stories." (Michael Horton, Trust and Obey, p.20)

"My soul rejoices in my God. For He has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." (Isaiah 61:10, NASB)

"Perhaps the greatest evidence of our sinful nature is not found in the horrible acts of immorality, violence, or selfish ambition, but in the fact that even when God offers us in the wedding garment of perfect righteousness we persist in our self-vindication! Whatever the fig leaves, whether made of self-esteem therapy or of energetic moralism, we refuse to see our filthy rags as insufficient to appear in the presence of a holy God. As one grand old Puritan said, "We attempt to cover filth with filth." (Michael Horton, Trust and Obey, p.24)

God imputes [or counts toward us] righteousness apart from works. (Romans 4:6) God's reckoning of righteousness to us is not a matter of him searching out our hearts and finding righteousness within us. That is not imputation. If he were to investigate our "righteousnesses" He would not find 'righteousness'. He would find only filthy rags. (Isaiah 64:6) Note that it is not merely our acts of disobedience, but "our righteous acts" that are so described.

Imputation is a reckoning or a putting to the account of. The idea is one of an accounting of righteousness from one who is truly righteous to one who is bankrupt of all righteousness. So if God is imputing righteousness to us, it is not our own but another's. But whose? Christ's! God does not whip up righteousness out of thin air. It is Christ's real righteousness that is imputed to us by faith.

Some dare to call this a "legal fiction". They accuse us of making God a liar by calling one "righteous" who is not righteous in themselves. But this is no "legal fiction". This is our life! (For God so loved the world that he gave his only-begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. John 3:16, NASB) It is the true, real, existing righteousness of Christ and not a lie! This is the gospel, the good news!

For what does God's word say? (But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness, Romans 4:5, NASB) Him who justifies the ungodly! Are you ungodly today? Then this is your good news, that God in Christ has done for you what you cannot do yourself. He can make you stand justified before Him today, and that by the perfect righteousness of Christ which is counted to you by faith.

How can you, a sinner, stand justified before a righteous and holy God? By God's grace, Christ's righteousness is accounted to you through faith. Your sin is reckoned to Christ and was punished in Him on the cross. You then stand before God clothed in the perfect righteousness of Christ and God's pronouncement over you is "Justified". Christ's righteousness is reckoned to you, and you stand in Christ, justified before God.

The cross of Christ, simultaneously presents both the justice and mercy of God. Justice in that the sins of those who Christ died for were punished in Christ on the cross. Mercy in that those same ones who Christ died for may now be reckoned as fully righteous, fully obedient, perfect in respect to God's holy law, because Christ's perfect righteousness is imputed to them, reckoned to their account by faith. May today be the day when you hear and believe this glorious gospel, the good news of God's salvation in Christ.

'Behold, days are coming,' declares the Lord, 'when I will fulfill the good word which I have spoken concerning the house of and the house of . 'In those days and at that time I will cause a righteous Branch of David to spring forth; and He shall execute justice and righteousness on the earth. 'In those days shall be saved, and shall dwell in safety; and this is the name by which she shall be called: the Lord is our righteousness.' (Jeremiah 33:14-16, NASB)

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Do the Witnesses believe that their religion is the only right one?
    Anyone who is serious about his religion should think that it is the right one. Otherwise, why would he or she be involved in it? Christians are admonished: "Make sure of all things; hold fast to what is fine." (1 Thessalonians 5:21) A person should make sure that his beliefs can be supported by the Scriptures, for there is only one true faith. Ephesians 4:5 confirms this, mentioning "one Lord, one faith, one baptism." Jesus did not agree with the modern, relaxed view that there are many roads, many religions, all leading to salvation. Instead, he said: "Narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are the ones finding it." Jehovah's Witnesses believe that they have found it. Otherwise, they would look for another religion.?Matthew 7:14

The entire chapter:

Ephesians 4:1-32
    1 I, therefore, the prisoner in [the] Lord, entreat YOU to walk worthily of the calling with which YOU were called, 2 with complete lowliness of mind and mildness, with long-suffering, putting up with one another in love, 3 earnestly endeavouring to observe the oneness of the spirit in the uniting bond of peace. 4 One body there is, and one spirit, even as YOU were called in the one hope to which YOU were called; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all [persons], who is over all and through all and in all. 7 Now to each one of us undeserved kindness was given according to how the Christ measured out the free gift. 8 Wherefore he says: ?When he ascended on high he carried away captives; he gave gifts [in] men.? 9 Now the expression ?he ascended,? what does it mean but that he also descended into the lower regions, that is, the earth? 10 The very one that descended is also the one that ascended far above all the heavens, that he might give fullness to all things.
    11 And he gave some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelizers, some as shepherds and teachers, 12 with a view to the readjustment of the holy ones, for ministerial work, for the building up of the body of the Christ, 13 until we all attain to the oneness in the faith and in the accurate knowledge of the Son of God, to a full-grown man, to the measure of stature that belongs to the fullness of the Christ; 14 in order that we should no longer be babes, tossed about as by waves and carried hither and thither by every wind of teaching by means of the trickery of men, by means of cunning in contriving error. 15 But speaking the truth, let us by love grow up in all things into him who is the head, Christ. 16 From him all the body, by being harmoniously joined together and being made to cooperate through every joint that gives what is needed, according to the functioning of each respective member in due measure, makes for the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love. 17 This, therefore, I say and bear witness to in [the] Lord, that YOU no longer go on walking just as the nations also walk in the unprofitableness of their minds, 18 while they are in darkness mentally, and alienated from the life that belongs to God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the insensibility of their hearts. 19 Having come to be past all moral sense, they gave themselves over to loose conduct to work uncleanness of every sort with greediness.
    20 But YOU did not learn the Christ to be so, 21 provided, indeed, that YOU heard him and were taught by means of him, just as truth is in Jesus, 22 that YOU should put away the old personality which conforms to YOUR former course of conduct and which is being corrupted according to his deceptive desires; 23 but that YOU should be made new in the force actuating YOUR mind, 24 and should put on the new personality which was created according to God?s will in true righteousness and loyalty. 25 Wherefore, now that YOU have put away falsehood, speak truth each one of YOU with his neighbor, because we are members belonging to one another. 26 Be wrathful, and yet do not sin; let the sun not set with YOU in a provoked state, 27 neither allow place for the Devil. 28 Let the stealer steal no more, but rather let him do hard work, doing with his hands what is good work, that he may have something to distribute to someone in need. 29 Let a rotten saying not proceed out of YOUR mouth, but whatever saying is good for building up as the need may be, that it may impart what is favorable to the hearers. 30 Also, do not be grieving
    God?s holy spirit, with which YOU have been sealed for a day of releasing by ransom. 31 Let all malicious bitterness and anger and wrath and screaming and abusive speech be taken away from YOU along with all badness. 32 But become kind to one another, tenderly compassionate, freely forgiving one another just as God also by Christ freely forgave YOU.

So, what does Paul mean be One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism?
    More importantly One faith. Is he talking about a religion or sect or is it the Faith in Jesus and his resurrection?

Where is Paul stating an earthly organization is required for salvation?
    His whole emphasis in this chapter is to acknowledge Christ?s ransom as the means to salvation. To have faith in that. This word has been twisted by many religions and sects, where they proclaim themselves as ?the faith?, taking away the true responsibility of faith in Jesus, and diverting it to themselves.

Mathew 24:3,4; 3 While he was sitting upon the Mount of Olives, the disciples approached him privately, saying: ?Tell us, When will these things be, and what will be the sign of your presence and of the conclusion of the system of things?? 4 And in answer Jesus said to them: ?Look out that nobody misleads YOU; 5 for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ?I am the Christ,? and will mislead many.
    Luke 21: 8 He said: ?Look out that YOU are not misled; for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ?I am he,? and, ?The due time has approached.? Do not go after them.

Online Bible:

Galatians 5:1-26
    1 For such freedom Christ set us free. Therefore stand fast, and do not let yourselves be confined again in a yoke of slavery.
    2 See! I, Paul, am telling YOU that if YOU become circumcised, Christ will be of no benefit to YOU. 3 Moreover, I bear witness again to every man getting circumcised that he is under obligation to perform the whole Law. 4 YOU are parted from Christ, whoever YOU are that try to be declared righteous by means of law; YOU have fallen away from his undeserved kindness. 5 For our part we by spirit are eagerly waiting for the hoped-for righteousness as a result of faith. 6 For as regards Christ Jesus neither circumcision is of any value nor is uncircumcision, but faith operating through love [is].
    7 YOU were running well. Who hindered YOU from keeping on obeying the truth? 8 This sort of persuasion is not from the One calling YOU. 9 A little leaven ferments the whole lump. 10 I am confident about YOU who are in union with [the] Lord that YOU will not come to think otherwise; but the one who is causing YOU trouble will bear [his] judgment, no matter who he may be. 11 As for me, brothers, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? Then, indeed, the stumbling block of the torture stake has been abolished. 12 I wish the men who are trying to overturn YOU would even get themselves emasculated.
    13 YOU were, of course, called for freedom, brothers; only do not use this freedom as an inducement for the flesh, but through love slave for one another. 14 For the entire Law stands fulfilled in one saying, namely: ?You must love your neighbor as yourself.? 15 If, though, YOU keep on biting and devouring one another, look out that YOU do not get annihilated by one another.
    16 But I say, Keep walking by spirit and YOU will carry out no fleshly desire at all. 17 For the flesh is against the spirit in its desire, and the spirit against the flesh; for these are opposed to each other, so that the very things that YOU would like to do YOU do not do. 18 Furthermore, if YOU are being led by spirit, YOU are not under law.
    19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, and they are fornication, uncleanness, loose conduct, 20 idolatry, practice of spiritism, enmities, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, contentions, divisions, sects, 21 envies, drunken bouts, revelries, and things like these. As to these things I am forewarning YOU, the same way as I did forewarn YOU, that those who practice such things will not inherit God?s kingdom. 22 On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, 23 mildness, self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Moreover, those who belong to Christ Jesus impaled the flesh together with its passions and desires.
    25 If we are living by spirit, let us go on walking orderly also by spirit. 26 Let us not become egotistical, stirring up competition with one another, envying one another.

the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society of Pennsylvania is not our one mediator Jesus. Not ?the Faith? we should bear witness to.

What happens if we go against the rulings of these sects, are we punished? Where is the evidence that either Paul, Matthew, Luke or Jesus prophesied keeping steadfast in an earthly organization of rules and traditions. These organizations could be described as sects?

Jeremiah 17:5

?Cursed is the man who trusts in human beings?

John 8:31-32

?The truth will make you free?

James 1:5, 4:8

?But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives to all men generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him??

?Draw near to God and he will draw near to you.?

Matthew 23:8,10 New International Version

?But you are not to be called rabbi for you have only one Master and you are all brothers?.nor are you to be called ?teacher? for you have one teacher, the Christ.?

John 14:6

?I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.?

Acts

?There is no salvation in anyone else, for there is not another name under heaven that has been given among men by which we may be saved.?

1 Corinthians (NIV)

?For no man can lay any other foundation than what is laid, which is Jesus Christ.?

1 Timothy 2:5-6

?For there is one God, and one Mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a corresponding ransom for all.?

How did Charles Taze Russell describe the first century Christians?

Watchtower 1881 by the President C T Russell

?..their organization was of Spirit; their law for the government of each was love, and all as a whole were put under obedience to ?the law of the Spirit? as it was expressed in the life, actions and words of their Lord??

?..it is clearly seen that these present day churches?interpret and enforce the ?traditions of the elders? which ?make void the Word of God.? These take the place of the true Head of the Church ? Jesus and the true teacher and guide to all truth, the Holy Spirit. Hear the prophet Isaiah express it (chap )?

?This brings us to our second preposition, viz that all Christians should be joined to this organisation? But says one; Must I not join some organisation on earth, assent to some creed and have my name written on earth? No. Remember that Jesus is your pattern and teacher, and neither in his words or acts will you find any authority for binding yourselves with creeds or traditions of the elders, which all tend to make the word of God of none effect (Mark 7:13) and bring you under a bondage that will hinder your growth in grace and knowledge, and against which Paul warned you to ?stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ has made you free, and be not entangled with the yoke of bondage (Gal 5:1}?

Watchtower 1882 April, Questions & Answers

?We are strictly unsectarian?(read 1 Cor 3:1-4)?we have no creed (fence) to bind us together or keep others out of our company. The Bible is our only Standard, and its teachings our only creed?We are in fellowship with all Christians in whom we can recognise the Spirit of Christ, and especially with those who recognise the Bible as the only Standard. We do not require therefore that all should see just as we do in order to be called Christians, realising that growth and knowledge is a gradual process; nor do we see reason to expect that any but the Watchmen of Zion will ?see eye to eye (Isa 52:8) until that which is perfect is come..(1 Cor ).?

?If all Christians were to thus free themselves from prescribed creeds, and study the Word of God without denominational bias, truth and knowledge and real Christian fellowship and unity would result. The Spirit of the Head would pervade the unfettered members of the Body and sectarian pride would vanish.?

Watchtower 1884 February

?We belong to no earthly organization?we adhere only to that heavenly organization ?whose names are written in heaven? (Heb Luke )?

?What think you?...suppose?all man made creeds and forms ?and names were laid aside, or that all Christians met in the One name of Christ, and in earnest simplicity, studied HIS words under the direction of God?s Spirit and the explanations furnished in the Apostles? writings, would there be long and serious differences, even of opinion?... And so, by whatsoever names men may call us, it matters not to us; we acknowledge none other name than ?the only name given under heaven and among men? ? Jesus Christ. We call ourselves simply CHRISTIANS and we raise no fence to separate from us any who believe in the foundation stone of our building mentioned by Paul: ?that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures?; and those for whom this is not broad enough have no right to the name Christian.?

• Es
    Es

Hi PAJA,

sorry to hear of your situation...im sort of in the same boat except im the jw or ex jw. Im a fader havnt been to a meeting in years. I was married to a fellow JW which ended in divorce over two years ago. Now I am engaged to a wonderful man who isnt a JW, my parents wont have anything to do with the wedding coz what im doing is unscriptual and wrong....but what i have learnt is that the man I am with now is 100 times better than the JW i married just to keep my family happy.

Hope her love for you will endure this hard time

es

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit