Do you sense "a sense of urgency" in the congregations?

by truthseeker 26 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I think maybe the GB has hit a real 'catch 22' here!

The only way to really spark an urgent spirit is to continue to predict that the world is near it's end. The only real effective way that they have ever done that is to use dates or twisted scriptural references [i.e.; the 'generation that saw 1914'] that imply dates or short seasons that make the end imminent.

With such a backlog of failures in this regard they enter the 'catch 22'. If they do not predict with dates or seasons they loose lustre in the faithful. If they do predict with dates or seasons they are once again proven to be wrong and false prophets.

Unless the end is near witnesses have nothing to hold onto. Life is pretty worthless if we don't live it and just remain in a state of suspended animation, as witnesses. The message is fairly devoid of real meaning to both the witnesses and those to whom they preach if no imminent reason to join is present.

Afterall - according to witness lore, if u die before the Big 'A', you will get a resurrection whether a witness or not. The only reason to join is because the end is near!

Just my opinion

Jeff

• Honesty
    Honesty

NO.

The Governing Body could turn their dilemma into a positive outcome by:

Asking Christ to forgive them for defiling His Holy name and forcing the JW's to deny Him as their mediator

Admitting they had deceived millions of people during the history of Jehovah's Witnesses

Using correct versions of the Bible and allowing JW's to choose their own version

Letting the Bible speak for itself (such as God taking out a people for His name... Christians)

Turning all WTBTS properties into centers of charity and orphanages run by professionals

Eliminating the elder arrangement and hiring qualified professional pastors to lead the flock

Compensating the victims of abuse they are responsible for

Returning ownership of the Kingdom Halls to local congregations

Resigning their positions of domination

• love11
    love11

THE END IS COMING!!! THE END IS COMING!!!

It reminds me of sidewalk sales-

GET IT NOW!!! THE SALE IS ALMOST OVER!!!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Using correct versions of the Bible and allowing JW's to choose their own version

And pray which would they be?

• Carmel
    Carmel

The JW mantra "real soon" reminds me of the furniture store on old highway 99 south of the SeaTac air port. Every month it had a "going out of business" sale. This went on for several years. Finally it switched to "under new management" and that went on for several year. Finally, finally, it was boarded up last year.. Can't help but consider the analogy as fitting.

carmel

• steve2
    steve2

The Watchtower is very much like the little boy who cried "Wolf" once too often. People are sick of getting ready to escape the wolf, when there is no wolf. Now, even if the world were about to end, who would have confidence in the watchtower's predictions anyway? The world may well end, but I think it will be in spite of - not because of - what the JWs have said.

• TheListener
    TheListener

I believe that the society is hedging its bet. They are hoping to maintain their numbers in the industrialized nations while increasing their membership in second and third world countries. Even if they can't maintain their numbers in the industrialized nations the ones they do hold onto will be the self righteous super dub types that will provide enough money to cover the society's expenses in the second and third world countries. I still think the society has many areas in which to cut costs to be really efficient and we'll see some of these changes over the next couple of years. I think we've seen some already.

I expect a change in the special assembly day, circuit assembly and district convention routine in the next couple years.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76
    Sense of urgency? How about a pulse.

ROFLMAO @BigDog

The Watchtower is very much like the little boy who cried "Wolf" once too often. People are sick of getting ready to escape the wolf, when there is no wolf. Now, even if the world were about to end, who would have confidence in the watchtower's predictions anyway? The world may well end, but I think it will be in spite of - not because of - what the JWs have said.

So true Steve2.

Dragonlady76

• upside/down
  • willyloman
    willyloman

carmel wrote:

The JW mantra "real soon" reminds me of the furniture store on old highway 99 south of the SeaTac air port. Every month it had a "going out of business" sale. This went on for several years. Finally it switched to "under new management" and that went on for several year. Finally, finally, it was boarded up last year.. Can't help but consider the analogy as fitting.

This explains everything! The society is now in its "under new management" phase, what will all the new corporations and multiple changes in leadership. It's so damn confusing, no one has figured out it's still the same old fart selling the same old furniture.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit