Do you sense "a sense of urgency" in the congregations?

by truthseeker 26 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Now that we're in the 21st century, and all those pre-millenium worries that a few had about Armaggedon seem to have gone, everyone seems to be getting on with their lives, buying homes, going on cruises and planning for their retirement.

Not everyone does these things, but there is so little talk about The Great Tribulation, Armaggedon and the New System, you can't help but wonder if they are just going through the motions.

I see young people at the hall - they couldn't care less about spiritual things, although they may comment and go out in service.

I see people in the 30s quietly getting on with life - a few are building their own homes from scratch, others are planning on moving and some have bought new cars.

Nothing wrong with this, but each of these things show an investment in the future.

A car has to be paid for (if its a lease), a home needs a 15/25/30 year mortgage and this all takes time.

Time with a capital "T".

Let's face it - the urgency is gone. No one thinks about the "time of the end" and everyone does their own thing.

Families are still having children.

One of my college professors once asked me: "How do you know that people have confidence in the future?"

The answer? They have children.

The Society laments that, "as a people we are not ready" for the day of Jehovah, they lambast those who are quietly leading a normal life and scream at everyone to do more, more and more.

The threats, the taunts go over our heads. We don't care anymore.

You failed Watchtower. You dashed our hopes for surviving into a new world. You saw elderly members die of old age, putting YOUR kingdom first. You saw thousands of youths leave your throngs for something better.

You have only yourselves to blame for the lack of urgency you say we all have.

If any of you still go to the Hall, can you see a similar attitude? Are their many who really talk about the "urgency" of the times we're living in?

Are there those that simplify their lives and pioneer?

It never fails to amaze me, that the number of pioneers compared to publishers has always been around 10%.

That means 90% of us just go through the motions.

I mean, lets face it - IF we really, really wanted to - we could give up college, parenthood and careers, sell our home and move into a smaller apartment, trade in our new car for an old one, simplify our lives to such an extent that we could work part time and pioneer, we probably might be able to.

Like I said, a big IF!

• Flash
    Flash

Your thoughts and observations are very encouraging to me because of two things Jesus said:

1. "You also, keep ready, because at an hour you do not think likely the Son of Man is coming." Luke 12:40

and

2. "For as they were in those days before the flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day Noah entered into the ark." Matthew 24:38

How they're acting makes perfect sense to me.

• willyloman
    willyloman

truthseeker: This is exactly how I saw it my last couple of years in the organization. A far cry from the 1970's, when the end "coming soon" was very real and the congregations were filled with expectation.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Good point Flash.

Willyloman, in my hall everyone comments at the meetings, "how near we are to the end" but no one actually behaves like this is true.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

No I do not see urgency at all.

Brilliant observation:

One of my college professors once asked me: "How do you know that people have confidence in the future?"

The answer? They have children.

And that is just what the WTS is encouraging. Every other article and publication is about raising children.

Now why the hell would you have children "deep into the end of this system" when every JW expects to be persecuted during Armegeddon??

Only if the children are your main source of recruits.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    everyone comments at the meetings, "how near we are to the end" but no one actually behaves like this is true

Yes, much lip service is paid to it, but it's simply not genuine. You can tell the difference. After 1995, I noticed whenever someone would use the "end coming real soon now" line from the platform, that people sitting in front of me would cast a sideways glance at their companion or roll their eyes. Enough people did it that it was noticeable, and kind of funny.

Plus, their actions didn't support the WTS position. We had dinner at the home of a couple that were 3rd generation dubs, parents both elders, families long-time "pillars" in the congo, and they were talking about their newborn son and mentioned the gift their parents had just bought the boy: they opened a college fund for him and put money in it. The fact the parents did this says a lot. The fact this couple shared this info so matter-of-factly says even more.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Sense of urgency? How about a pulse.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

such excellent points. I see that and I haven't been to the KH in six years. It seems to me they are just not caring whats going on. I think the GB is giving up on trying to predict things for fear of making themselves look stupid.

I mean lets face fact. How much egg are the GB going to allow on their faces, before they smartin up and start showing more mercy towards its congregations. The GB could take a good lesson from the Pope. Look how the people of the Catholic Church surround their leader.

Do the members of the GB get that kind of respect. I am sure its fear of looking bad that they are refraining from projecting dates. Let people live their lives they want to. The elders and GB may get more respect if they stopped browbeating and disfellowshipping witnesses.

JMHO.

Luv Orangefatcat

• eisenstein
    eisenstein
    The elders and GB may get more respect if they stopped browbeating and disfellowshipping witnesses.

That is exactly how I feel Orangefatcat.

Also, as for the sense of urgency...I remember the elders and GB admonishing to:

wait past the bloom of youth...til marriage

wait til the new system...to have children, etc.

It really makes me angry and dismayed everytime I think about it all.

eisenstein

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

absolutely not - the presiding overseer tries but even M/S miss many meetings

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit