The Dumbed Down Awake Sinks Lower ( May 8)

by metatron 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Flash
    Flash

More than that, do the ivory tower enshrined fools who write this stuff never catch on that Witness kids

quickly learn to parrot whatever answers are expected of them? that the organization's hypocrisy and

pretense teach them to 'live a double life'? that more enforced studying is not the answer?

Since the people running the Organization believe they're 'Spirit Directed' nothing they do or change could ever be wrong or sub-standard.

• Carmel
    Carmel

gdt, I accept your challenge. You have a pm!

carmel

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere
    I've always thought they did the awake so the dubs wouldn't look to any other sources for leisure reading. If they are going to control everything their followers read, they better come up with fluff, too. Otherwise, somebody might be tempted to read something forbidden.

I think you are right-on with this.

Also, it gave something more placeable than just the WT which many householders don't want. Dont want to talk gloom and doom every single minute, do we??

Like Jenniebeanz said, I also would tuck the WT inside the Awake and leave them as a pair.

-Aude.

• zugzwang
    zugzwang

Back in the day when I was a zealous pioneer there used to be a group of us pioneers who would go on the college campus to do street work. There would be large groups of students who would all walk together and if you could get one student to take a mag then every student following them would take one. Some days I would literally place 300 to 500 magazines. The really funny thing was that after a group of 50 or 100 students would walk by then there would be a lull in the action. No students would walk by for a while. So we would walk down to the bottom of the hill and check the trash cans to see how many of the mags we had just placed had already made it into the barrel. Sure enough there would always be at least a 1 to 5 ratio of discarded magazines. So we would take them back out of the garbage and then when the next group of students would go by we would place those same mags again. (As long as they hadn't been soiled by anything in the garbage.) And of course that meant I sometimes got to count 2 placements with the exact same magazine. My all time record, 681 magazines in one day. And it wasn't hard to come up with that many magazines. I was also the "magazine servant" at the time so I had an announcement made that any publisher who had magazines at home that they felt they wouldn't place could bring them up to the magazine counter and we would be glad to see to it that they got redistributed to other publishers who were in need. We literally got thousands of magazines (between 3 and 4 thousand if I recall correctly.) Now that is just one congregation of about 80 publishers, multiply that by 90,000 congos and you know there are a lot of old mags out there that never get placed.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

In my household growing up the Awake's were always in the bathroom as reading material...... which is where I'm willing to bet 90% of that CRAP gets read. Why have a long drawn out topic to read in the bathroom?

Also, the WTS is probably sooo busy providing JW's "meat in due season" in the Watchtower that they don't have time to beef up the articles in the Awake.

Just like the USA Today newspaper is considered the McPaper of the newspaper world maybe the Awake should be the BarelyAwake Magazine.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    I could write articles on boolean algebra, variable subnetting, IP packet filtering and network protocol analysis.

Hey....I'd read that.

In my household growing up the Awake's were always in the bathroom as reading material...... which is where I'm willing to bet 90% of that CRAP gets read.

In the beginning of my wifes WT spiritual awakening, that's where I always found the magazines. She'd set them out on a table directly in front of the crapper so that I'd have no choice but to look at them while unloading.

Never occurred to me to tear a few pages out of them to wipe when out of paper.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    Hey....I'd read that.

I won't guarantee the accuracy of anything I write. That way there's always some room for "new light" in case I run out of things to say.

Walter

edited because I can't spell

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Ironically enough, my old pals that use Watchtower and Awakes as asswipe are still in the Org., and I having never used it as such, am out. I guess they rationalize that continuing as Witnesses cuts down on their grocery bill.

GBL

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Why is the new version of the awake so lacking and confusing??

Think about it for a minute or so guys.

In bethel we have almost all men of varying ages. Most were raised in jw families with all their mental turmoil and fears.

Men who are NOT married, working for a living, raising children, trying to pay for a house a car medical bills and on and on.

Very little secular education if any at all. Add to that, a self imposed lack of experience with society in general.

This is what we have trying to write a magazine, attractive to children and their parents???

Oh I almost forgot "they are with the group of self proclaimed" governing body.

You know, " gods only organization on earth"

Outoftheorg

• bebu
    bebu

http://www.christianitytoday.com/

http://family.org/fofmag/

Here are 2 periodicals that have large circulation within Christendom. There are many more magazines and newspapers about, of course, but these 2 are very large. The articles in CT are especially interesting...

sometimes it's funny, though, that an article in CT criticizing some practice/beliefs by a Christian group will only be 2 pages away from an advertisement of that same Christian group! That is, if Oral Roberts is criticized by an article, you could still find an advertisement for Robert's school in the back.

bebu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit